By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

According to the GAF leaks, 3DS sold 91k for August 2014, which is the lowest month of sales for 3DS since July 2011 (the month prior to their big price drop). Yes I know New 3DS was announced but it was announced on the 28th in a Japan centric Direct, I doubt it really impact sales that much. Compared to other handhelds:

PSP sold like 238k for the corresponding September so so it looks like 3DS will fall behind the PSP next month. And yes that flat line of death at the bottom is the Vita. 

Following also compares 3DS/PSP/DS for the corresponding year. Not look good for 3DS. Thanks to jcm on Neogaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129671705&postcount=2341

Around the Network

So that's 23k a week in the US, and likely on par in Europe, and around 30k in Japan, yet we constantly have 100k+ WW.

Makes sense considering the n3ds announcement... I expect it to get a bump during Smash Bros but not to sell as high as it could have been

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Makes sense considering the n3ds announcement... I expect it to get a bump during Smash Bros but not to sell as high as it could have been

Not the reason, that was announced late August when this sales period was closing.

Seece said:
So that's 23k a week in the US, and likely on par in Europe, and around 30k in Japan, yet we constantly have 100k+ WW.

Yeah VGC overtracks the 3DS almost all the time in North America. 

Around the Network
Seece said:

Not the reason, that was announced late August when this sales period was closing.

Mhmm, then its due to the lack any new games coming out in the west

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Seece said:

Mhmm, then its due to the lack any new games coming out in the west

That's I think only one part of it. Even last year when it had a lot of games the sales weren't that great. Pokemon X/Y, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc. couldn't save them from having a dissapointing holiday season (even Iwata said so). This year is just worse. 

This is more than a game problem I think, 3DS has a plenty mature library of tons of games by now that it shouldn't be that dependant on month to month releases. 

It's not like there's nothing been released this year either. Bravely Default, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Tomodachi Life, Yoshi's New Island is ok. 

I know I've already used this gif earlier, but....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

But psp sold really well i don't think falling behind it is as bad as people think

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Why are you comparing it with psp?

Pocky Lover Boy!