By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

Vena said:
Soundwave said:

Eh it seemed to me that most Western support for the DS was shovelware crap. 

There were a few decent games and Take 2 even attempted a Grand Theft Auto game, but I don't think it sold to their expectations. 

DS was largely driven by Japanese IP -- Mario, Brain Training, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Professor Layton, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc. 

Western devs are making tons of portable games they're just all for the iOS/Android. Minecraft, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, Plants Vs. Zombies, are all break out hits from Western devs. 

A lot of the software for the DS was shovelware crap but there was, simply, a consatnt stream of numerous titles (not all of them crap). The system was simply FULL of games, and Nintendo was also streaming out constantly good games. Nintendo is still producing a stream of costantly good games but that stream has been cleaved in two, and we see both ends of the spectrum struggling because of it. There's just so little western aligned coming out at all.

Take 2 did do a GTA game but that had other issues like being fundamentally broken, and not balanced.

And I agree that the DS was largely driven by Japanese IP. Now take that list and tell me how many of those major titles have come out on the 3DS. A new Final Fantasy? Not yet. A new Dragon Quest? Nope. Resident Evil? Nope. There's more than a few IPs that are outright missing this generation for some reason or other.

Those "western developers" aren't developers. Almost all of those games, sans Minecraft, can be made in GameMaker by someone with rudimentary understanding of programming. They may be break-out hits but they are also one-hit wonders in a flooded and cancerous market which is spiraling out of control... a fact that even Apple has gone ahead and admitted as a whole for the entire app market. There's no security in that market because there's no quality control nor is there any sort of legal control on definitions of "free" that undercut every product on the market with rip-offs.

I agree that the handheld market has shrunk, though, don't get me wrong.

3DS does have Dragon Quest in Japan, in the US it's not as big of a deal. Resident Evil it does have (actually the DS really didn't have a proper RE game). Final Fantasy has been missing in action though unless you count Final Fantasy Theathryhtm. 

A hit is still a hit even if it's a one time fad, Nintendo couldn't replicate Wii Sports or Brain Training, but that doesn't mean they didn't reap massive rewards from it.  

Around the Network

More nitendoom? Man this forums sucks sometimes

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Yeah, i think 3DS has seen it`s peak year.
Smash might boost 3DS sales, but it won`t go as high as they could go because there`s a Wii U version coming aswell. That will cut into it`s sales for sure.

I think it`s time for Nintendo to really invest in a 3rd pillar: mobile market.
Not to bring games to Apple or Samsung, but actually invest in it`s own device and port VC games aswell as have dedicated games made specifically for that device (with the option to also download them on other Nintendo HW).
If it can`t do that alone, partner with someone like Samsung.
More and more those mobile devices will offer better experiences and at cheaper prices aswell and Nintendo will lose more and more ground on one of it`s most important markets: kids.

That would be the best way to bring Nintendo franchises to those kids and dads who will only buy tablets and smartphones.

I really don't think this is any sort of long-term problem. I don't care about this.

DélioPT said:
Smash might boost 3DS sales, but it won`t go as high as they could go because there`s a Wii U version coming aswell. That will cut into it`s sales for sure.

Not to bring games to Apple or Samsung, but actually invest in it`s own device and port VC games aswell as have dedicated games made specifically for that device (with the option to also download them on other Nintendo HW).
More and more those mobile devices will offer better experiences and at cheaper prices aswell and Nintendo will lose more and more ground on one of it`s most important markets: kids.

That would be the best way to bring Nintendo franchises to those kids and dads who will only buy tablets and smartphones.

You mean something like a $99 Nintendo Virtual Console handheld? 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
ErwinMoC said:
3DS will never outsell PSP.

iOS/Android have done too much damage for that it would seem (poor Vita too, lol). 

The Vita was damaged more by Sony themselves than by iOS/Android though..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

No. A real tablet.

But instead of bringing the A guns - which it can`t because tablets don`t have the storage space to save them - it would bring the NES, SNES, N64, GC and even Wii games to the tablet, but also develop games specifically for that market.
Those games would also be playable in the next handheld and home console.

That way, not only would it play anything from the Google shop, but also have the exclusive Nintendo shop.

I think that having a HH and a HC that can share the same games (like what we get with PC games that can play in several PCs), it would allow Nintendo to use the saved money and staff to go after the mobile market.
That is the solution that would allow to attract all markets.

AZWification said:
Soundwave said:
ErwinMoC said:
3DS will never outsell PSP.

iOS/Android have done too much damage for that it would seem (poor Vita too, lol). 

The Vita was damaged more by Sony themselves than by iOS/Android though..

Nah. No 14-35 year old (Sony's bread and butter demographic) would be caught dead with a dedicated game handheld these days, especially not when they all have their smartphone to keep them occupied for any down time away from the house. Not just games, but being able to Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, watch movies/TV show/Youtube, taking photos, surf the internet, on top of playing games ... phones just have monopolized the teenager/college age/30 something's pocket space. 

Nintendo has at least been able to prevent themselves from being wiped off the face of the market (like Sony has been) because they still have sway with the kids market (who generally don't get their first phone until age 12/13) and the core Nintendo fanbase, but even there they are losing momentum. 

Soundwave said:

3DS does have Dragon Quest in Japan, in the US it's not as big of a deal. Resident Evil it does have (actually the DS really didn't have a proper RE game). Final Fantasy has been missing in action though unless you count Final Fantasy Theathryhtm. 

A hit is still a hit even if it's a one time fad, Nintendo couldn't replicate Wii Sports or Brain Training, but that doesn't mean they didn't reap massive rewards from it.  

DQX hardly counts as a staple of that RPG franchise, and hasn't seen western release at all. There's not even been re-releases of DQ on the 3DS unlike the DS which saw a number of updated ports. Final Fantasy is entirely absent (no I don't count Theathrythm) but is finally showing up. I forgot about Revelations for the 3DS, you're right.

And I don't disagree with you on hits. I disagree with you on what the future holds or what Nintendo messed up. (As well as the general long term 'threat' of mobile, as I see that to be more of a self-strangling market.) I agree that the general gaming market has changed in its entirety. We see the PS4/X1/WiiU all performing with bad trajectories or non-existant trajectories. The 3DS has been a rollercoaster ride, which has certainly hurt it long term just as much as the shifting markets... and its still not seeing a price cut despite the fact the DS, by this point, had one.

I guess you could say that I am rather optimistic of a Nintendo unified architecture because it nips several of their main problems from this generation in the bud. I also don't see mobile (tab, phone) ever becoming actual go-tos for gaming for any number of reasons: not built for it, CPU/RAM prioritization is not suitable for heavy gaming experiences, no real physical feedback or input, etc. The power of phones is increasing, yes, but even then we're reaching structural limits on die sizes. They have certainly taken a permanent and big bite out of handheld gaming but I don't see handheld gaming disappearing... I see home consoles disappearing.

If handhelds have survived in the land of the rising sun where mobile is a major, dominant force, they will survive globally.

DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:

No. A real tablet.

But instead of bringing the A guns - which it can`t because tablets don`t have the storage space to save them - it would bring the NES, SNES, N64, GC and even Wii games to the tablet, but also develop games specifically for that market.
Those games would also be playable in the next handheld and home console.

That way, not only would it play anything from the Google shop, but also have the exclusive Nintendo shop.

I think that having a HH and a HC that can share the same games (like what we get with PC games that can play in several PCs), it would allow Nintendo to use the saved money and staff to go after the mobile market.
That is the solution that would allow to attract all markets.

There's some merit to this approach I think especially if it was dirt cheap (like say $99). 

The only thing is I think kids would gourge themselves on 99 cent/free games from the Google Store, and maybe indulge in one annual copy of Mario Kart or something for $39.99. Kinda of a big gap there. 

I tend to think the Fusion platform will something seperate though, something more in the $199.99-$249.99 price range.