By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Head Tracking Software

jlauro said:
DOATS1 said:
jlauro said:
Not as impressive looking as the wii head tracking, but that may be fault of whoever shot the video. They should have put the camcorder on the person's head, and or tracked the camera instead of a different person, and that might of made it look better. As it is, the presentation fails.

i'm assuming the wii head tracking is done via wiimote. if so, how the hell are you comapring the two?? the wiimote is a motion sensor done via hardware. the ps eye isn't. its a normal motion camera. the software is doing the tracking on the ps3, not the eye. the eye stays still. it's what ever is in the camera's scope that gets tracked.

Double fail for not doing your research on wii head tracking that is two months old.

Wii head tracking uses the IR sensor pointed at you instead of the motion sensor.  The wiimote stays still.  Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

This guy is using a wiiremote with his pc.  There is no Wii involved.  When you claim it is not as impressive as the wii headtracking what are you referring to?  The pc is processing the information and displaying it on the tv.  There is no Wii involved with this.  The PS3/Eye toy head tracking uses the ps3 for processing and display.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

^ Isn't that because he is just "some guy" making stuff out of his free time dbot. Do you think he has a Wii dev kit to whip up software..?

The OP's video looks to be at some convention.

dbot said:
jlauro said:
DOATS1 said:
jlauro said:
Not as impressive looking as the wii head tracking, but that may be fault of whoever shot the video. They should have put the camcorder on the person's head, and or tracked the camera instead of a different person, and that might of made it look better. As it is, the presentation fails.

i'm assuming the wii head tracking is done via wiimote. if so, how the hell are you comapring the two?? the wiimote is a motion sensor done via hardware. the ps eye isn't. its a normal motion camera. the software is doing the tracking on the ps3, not the eye. the eye stays still. it's what ever is in the camera's scope that gets tracked.

Double fail for not doing your research on wii head tracking that is two months old.

Wii head tracking uses the IR sensor pointed at you instead of the motion sensor. The wiimote stays still. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

This guy is using a wiiremote with his pc. There is no Wii involved. When you claim it is not as impressive as the wii headtracking what are you referring to? The pc is processing the information and displaying it on the tv. There is no Wii involved with this. The PS3/Eye toy head tracking uses the ps3 for processing and display.

Wii isn't an open platform and the guy who came up with the technique had no official devkit, he was forced to use a bluetooth-enabled PC to do the test.

Sony and EA devs saw what he did with the Wii remotes and used the technique.

Sony devs implemented a method of doing it using the PSEye instead of a Wiimote and eventually got it working without the IR leds.  No announced game uses it yet, though.

EA added it to a Wii game they had in development(Boom Box), although it's not a core feature of the game. 

SeriousWB said:
^ Isn't that because he is just "some guy" making stuff out of his free time dbot. Do you think he has a Wii dev kit to whip up software..?

I agree.  Some guy in his basement using a wiimote and a pc does not = Wii Headtracking software.  As far as I know nobody has done headtracking on the Wii or 360.  I was responding to the statement that the ps3 headtracking demo is not as good as the wii headtracking.  By the way, the Wiimote guy didn't invent headtracking either.

dbot said:
SeriousWB said:

I agree. Some guy in his basement using a wiimote and a pc does not = Wii Headtracking software. As far as I know nobody has done headtracking on the Wii or 360. I was responding to the statement that the ps3 headtracking demo is not as good as the wii headtracking. By the way, the Wiimote guy didn't invent headtracking either.

See Boom Blox. That's not the best video, and it doesn't demonstrate the headtracking part. It's only an easter egg, not a full part of the game. But it's one game that will have head tracking. Does anyone know if there are any games in development for any system that will fully use head tracking? Because as fun as headtracking looks, I don't know how much they can really do with it.

I think both videos are very well done.

Around the Network
dbot said:
SeriousWB said:

I agree. Some guy in his basement using a wiimote and a pc does not = Wii Headtracking software. As far as I know nobody has done headtracking on the Wii or 360. I was responding to the statement that the ps3 headtracking demo is not as good as the wii headtracking. By the way, the Wiimote guy didn't invent headtracking either.

EA added head tracking to Boom Blox for the Wii

Coglestop said:
dbot said:
SeriousWB said:

EA added head tracking to Boom Blox for the Wii

It will be nice to see it in a game, even if it is just an Easter Egg.  From their description, it seems like you will need to strap 2 wiimotes on your head.  That will look a little unusual.

Yeah, it would have been better if we could have seen the head tracking from the first person perspective. It looks a little clumsy, but it's hard to tell if that's just because we're getting a look at it from the side or if it's actually clumsy. The guy also didn't seem to test depth perception at all, which would have been nice to see.

@dbot

You put on a headband or pair of glasses with two or more infrared LEDs, then place a 2nd wiimote in a stand pointed at your head. You could do it by strapping a single wiimote (no need for two) to your head, but it would be more massive than LEDs and therefore more awkward.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Stever89 said:
dbot said:
SeriousWB said:

See Boom Blox. That's not the best video, and it doesn't demonstrate the headtracking part. It's only an easter egg, not a full part of the game. But it's one game that will have head tracking. Does anyone know if there are any games in development for any system that will fully use head tracking? Because as fun as headtracking looks, I don't know how much they can really do with it.

There are loads of PC games that are compatible with TrackIR (list) but none of them are games that actually require head-tracking as part of the gameplay. It is mostly used to give a 3D effect in driving and flying games.

Head-tracking has been around for ages. It certainly wasn't invented by Nintendo, Sony or Johnny Lee.

A lot of people seem to forget that you need to purchase an extra wiimote to achieve it with the Wii, and they retail for about the same price as the PS eye, so additional costs are about the same on both platforms. 

Played_Out said:
Stever89 said:
dbot said:
SeriousWB said:

There are loads of PC games that are compatible with TrackIR (list) but none of them are games that actually require head-tracking as part of the gameplay. It is mostly used to give a 3D effect in driving and flying games.

Head-tracking has been around for ages. It certainly wasn't invented by Nintendo, Sony or Johnny Lee.

A lot of people seem to forget that you need to purchase an extra wiimote to achieve it with the Wii, and they retail for about the same price as the PS eye, so additional costs are about the same on both platforms.

Well said.  I'm surprised no one has brought up TrackIR until now.  The biggest benefit for TrackIR is IMO, racing games and flying games.  It gives you a better range of views to give you better track awareness.  For flying games, it lets you track other planes/targets much more naturally as well as provide an easier way to check your instruments.  For an FPS such as ArmA, I could see this being less useful.  Interestingly enough, 90% of the games on that list are driving/flight/ship simulators.  It would be awesome if GT5 took advantage of this head tracking.