By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Head Tracking Software

Not as impressive looking as the wii head tracking, but that may be fault of whoever shot the video. They should have put the camcorder on the person's head, and or tracked the camera instead of a different person, and that might of made it look better. As it is, the presentation fails.

Around the Network
jlauro said:
Not as impressive looking as the wii head tracking, but that may be fault of whoever shot the video. They should have put the camcorder on the person's head, and or tracked the camera instead of a different person, and that might of made it look better. As it is, the presentation fails.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it is any different. if you'rs asking me it is 100 times better this way with no extra hardware to buy and wear unnecessarily. For that reason, i think this might just work and catch on with the right games...

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Meh, it's old now, if they put in games I will buy one, but since i've seen the wii one so much it hasn't suprised me sony have done this.

jlauro said:

i'm assuming the wii head tracking is done via wiimote. if so, how the hell are you comapring the two?? the wiimote is a motion sensor done via hardware. the ps eye isn't. its a normal motion camera. the software is doing the tracking on the ps3, not the eye. the eye stays still. it's what ever is in the camera's scope that gets tracked.

Its a shame these days that any news regarding the PS3 being in a positive light always attracted the 'wiitards' as they are affectionately known!

I mean i'm not a fan of the Wii but you don't see me posting in threads about the wii saying how it has kiddie games or isn't next-gen or whatever...

Around the Network

exactly doats...and with games with the playstation eye that dont use a controller this is interesting tech: Can you imagine the possibilities, the next step is not another motion controller like the wii but no controller at all

DOATS1 said:
jlauro said:

i'm assuming the wii head tracking is done via wiimote. if so, how the hell are you comapring the two?? the wiimote is a motion sensor done via hardware. the ps eye isn't. its a normal motion camera. the software is doing the tracking on the ps3, not the eye. the eye stays still. it's what ever is in the camera's scope that gets tracked.

Double fail for not doing your research on wii head tracking that is two months old.

Wii head tracking uses the IR sensor pointed at you instead of the motion sensor.  The wiimote stays still.  Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

^^ Its still done with the Wiimote so saying that he 'double fails' is just idiotic

Squall_Leonhart said:
Its a shame these days that any news regarding the PS3 being in a positive light always attracted the 'wiitards' as they are affectionately known!

I mean i'm not a fan of the Wii but you don't see me posting in threads about the wii saying how it has kiddie games or isn't next-gen or whatever...

Sorry, but you have to admit this is copy-cat technology first introduced by the wii.  I never said that it might not be impresive, only that the presentation of the technology clearly failed.  In reality it may be better or worse than with the wii, but from the youtube clip, it definitely doesn't look better. 

taxman said:
jlauro said:

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it is any different. if you'rs asking me it is 100 times better this way with no extra hardware to buy and wear unnecessarily. For that reason, i think this might just work and catch on with the right games...

Do you have to buy a PSEye to get this to work?

It looks interesting (as does the Wii version) but until someone implements it, it's all just talk.

Boom Blox supposidely has it as a easter egg type thing.