By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Head Tracking Software

jlauro said:
DOATS1 said:
jlauro said:
Not as impressive looking as the wii head tracking, but that may be fault of whoever shot the video. They should have put the camcorder on the person's head, and or tracked the camera instead of a different person, and that might of made it look better. As it is, the presentation fails.

i'm assuming the wii head tracking is done via wiimote. if so, how the hell are you comapring the two?? the wiimote is a motion sensor done via hardware. the ps eye isn't. its a normal motion camera. the software is doing the tracking on the ps3, not the eye. the eye stays still. it's what ever is in the camera's scope that gets tracked.

Double fail for not doing your research on wii head tracking that is two months old.

Wii head tracking uses the IR sensor pointed at you instead of the motion sensor.  The wiimote stays still.  Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

you fail even harder:

Using the infrared camera in the Wii remote and... (more)
Added: December 21, 2007
"Using the infrared camera in the Wii remote and a head mounted sensor bar (two IR LEDs), you can accurately track the location of your head and render view dependent images on the screen....."
the wii sensor requires a head mounted sensor bar to sense the movement. the ps eye just requires a head...

Around the Network
Squall_Leonhart said:
^^ Its still done with the Wiimote so saying that he 'double fails' is just idiotic

Saying wiimote implies you are holding it.  For wii head tracking you are not.

@jlauro

Yeah and the Wii was the first ever example of face-tracking was it? lol Epic Fail :D

In that regard the Wii is 'copy-catting' also... Why did you even feel the need to bring the Wii into a PS3 discussion thread anyway?

read my post above!

DOATS1 said:

you fail even harder:

"Using the infrared camera in the Wii remote and a head mounted sensor bar (two IR LEDs), you can accurately track the location of your head and render view dependent images on the screen....."
the wii sensor requires a head mounted sensor bar to sense the movement. the ps eye just requires a head...

And a PSEye toy. lol. I was just pointing that out because you said there was no extra hardware to buy, even though you do have to buy the Eyetoy.

I don't know why you guys are argueing over who did what first. Every company takes ideas from other companies. That's why we have competition. Because if a competitor steals your idea and then makes it better, it forces you to take your idea (or one of their new ideas) and make it even better. Without competition, technology wouldn't get better as fast as it does.

So what we should hope for is an arms race to see who can implement this first and who can implement in such a way that everyone would want to copy it. 

Around the Network
Squall_Leonhart said:
^^ Its still done with the Wiimote so saying that he 'double fails' is just idiotic

The same basic technique is used for BOTH systems(identify two points via a CCD camera and use those to adjust the game's viewport). In fact, the PS3 method is actually a bit more advanced, since it uses technology to identify the player's eyes in order to adjust the perspective.

The only real downside to the PS3's approach is that the PS Eye is an optional peripheal and not included with every system like the Wii remote is(The PS Eye would cost more than a pair of LED glasses would). Well, that and it takes more processor time to analyze the image, but the PS3 is considerably faster than the Wii anyway, so that's a moot point.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo didn't do this first.  It was a hack done by a creative individual not associated with Nintendo in any way and done via a PC with a bluetooth adapter, not the Wii itself. 

Strangely EA is the first company to make use of the technique in an actual game. It's slated to be a little easter egg type feature in Boom Box.

you fail even harder:

I failt to see how that's a fail.  Anyways, my point was I think the PS3 head tracking *might* be good, but that the video showing it isn't!  I only said the presentation in the video failed, not that the headtacking for the PS3 wasn't good.  I don't see how you guys can be defending that as a good example of head tracking.  Anyways, I am going to try not to post any more in this article.  I was trying to be nice to the PS3 by blaming it on the person who shot the video and not the PS3.  Obviosly some people in this forum are a little over sensitive.  I am sorry if I offended you.

^ Also the PSeye is very difficult to find so thats another point lol

I have only ever seen one in the whole city i live in, and thats the one i snapped up for myself :D

Stever89 said:

And a PSEye toy. lol. I was just pointing that out because you said there was no extra hardware to buy, even though you do have to buy the Eyetoy.

I don't know why you guys are argueing over who did what first. Every company takes ideas from other companies. That's why we have competition. Because if a competitor steals your idea and then makes it better, it forces you to take your idea (or one of their new ideas) and make it even better. Without competition, technology wouldn't get better as fast as it does.

So what we should hope for is an arms race to see who can implement this first and who can implement in such a way that everyone would want to copy it. 

huh? so you need 2 ps eyes? i think not. read my post properly, i said that the ps eye requires your head. not the ps3. the wiimote requires a sensor bar on top of your head for it to be detected. it can't detect your head without it.

i'm not saying that anybody copied. but they are different solutions. one is full hardware. one is full software.

and show me in any of my posts where i said there is no extra hardware to buy??

jlauro said:

I failt to see how that's a fail.  Anyways, my point was I think the PS3 head tracking *might* be good, but that the video showing it isn't!  I only said the presentation in the video failed, not that the headtacking for the PS3 wasn't good.  I don't see how you guys can be defending that as a good example of head tracking.  Anyways, I am going to try not to post any more in this article.  I was trying to be nice to the PS3 by blaming it on the person who shot the video and not the PS3.  Obviosly some people in this forum are a little over sensitive.  I am sorry if I offended you.

it is a fail, first, because you said i failed for not doing research, when you you're the one who didnt research properly. second, because you implied in your other posts that it was copy catting, when they clearly use different methods to achieve head tracking. the wii uses the wii mote and a sensor bar. the ps3 uses the eye itself and nothing else, therefore, there is no copying. infact, the ps3 solution is more convenient, because you don't need to strp anything to your head to be tracked.

i'm not defending anything, but if you're giving me false information, you're going to know about it from me.

Sorry, taxman said it. Not you.

And I wasn't saying you needed two PSEyes, I was saying you had to buy one. You can't have headtracking games on the PS3 without a PSEye. Not that you don't have to buy some sort of glasses for the Wii version... So either way you have to buy something for either version.