By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Nearing Deal To Purchase Minecraft for $2 Billion CNBC Reports

Slade6alpha said:
Fusioncode said:
What a waste of 2 billion. Its already out on PS4 so I'm not sure what's the point? Just think how many AAA exclusives MS could fund with this cash. Instead they're going to spend it all on one game that's already out on every platform under the sun. Never change MS.

You mean games like Tomb Raider? :) 

Kind of. Though I would prefer revivals of classic Rare games like Banjo or Perfect Dark.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

I don't think this is specific to consoles either.

Minecraft is the no.1 paid app on the iOS store for example and has been for ages.

Minecraft 2 perhaps first on Windows Phone wouldn't hurt MS I don't think.

jnemesh said:
I don't know what they hope to accomplish with that purchase. Yes, Minecraft is insanely popular...but it's one property...and it's too late to pull it from the PS4. If they wanted to make an impact, they should have bought them BEFORE the game launched on the competing platform.

Nope. Minecraft is a very leggy game, ever green.

Soundwave said:
wary-wallaroo said:
Slade6alpha said:
Damn.. would love to see the reaction of this thread is Sony was the ones buying it :(

Would be the same. Hell, it'd be even a bigger waste for Sony since they don't need any help beating the X1 down

Sony couldn't afford to do something like this. 

And why would they? Instead they can fund their large first party studios, fund second party, and secure marketing for third party titles all while still oitselling the X1 3 to 1.

Sorry, but I can't do anything but laugh when I see people mention 'Minecraft 2'.

Around the Network

They could literally give that to Rockstar/2k and have GTA 6 be a perma-exclusive for the X1. Nobodys gonna turn down 2B.

Thanks jlmurph!

poklane said:
Sorry, but I can't do anything but laugh when I see people mention 'Minecraft 2'.

This will milked to death even if it isn't a traditional IP. There will probably be things like Minecraft Racing and other spin-offs too. And tons of merchandising, possibly even things like a movie (ala the LEGO Movie). MS wouldn't spend this kind of money for just one game. 

http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-near-deal-to-buy-minecraft-1410300213

Wow!!!

Soundwave said:
Fusioncode said:
What a waste of 2 billion. Its already out on PS4 so I'm not sure what's the point? Just think how many AAA exclusives MS could fund with this cash. Instead they're going to spend it all on one game that's already out on every platform under the sun. Never change MS.

Minecraft 2? It would be kinda funny if MS yanked Minecraft from PSN period. 

Minecraft 2 goes against all the philosphies of what Mojang is doing with Minecraft. And that would be an incredibly scummy move, though I eagerly await to see how people defend it when it does happen.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

IamAwsome said:
JazzB1987 said:

they should have bought sony instead. To end the war once and for all. Or well they should have used the 2bn to make more powerful XBO's...

But whatever.

TBH Minecraft for even 500m would be a waste of money.

I'm not against MS spending money, but you are right Minecraft by itself is NOT worth 2b and Mojang hasn't made anything else. I don't mind if they get bought, but it should be at a cheaper price. 

I know right?   I mean Minecraft is a  Blockland/Infiniminer Ripoff. and 90% of the work on that game was made by the community and then notch added stuff that was suggested by the community / copied community ideas etc (but worse than the mods his ripoffs are based on).

The whole thing is a waste of money IMO.