By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Playstation 4 Advantage. Can Gamers Tell The Difference Between 720p and 1080p?

Microsoft are not stupid. 
Microsoft may not understand everything about us Gamers and what we want, but neither does Sony.
But at least they are trying to bring us new experiences like Kinect, voice recognition, etc.
Microsoft knew that the PS4 would not have a clear advantage over the Xbox One.
The PS4 has a faster GPU. No one can deny that and it does not suprise me. I always expected one of the consoles to be faster than the other.
Honestly, I thought it would have been the Xbox One. and while I am disappointed, as it would have been nice to
just to know that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4. 
So Playstation only Gamers you have that satisfaction of knowing you have a faster machine than Xbox only Gamers.
I give you guys that one. I am an Xbox only Gamer.
But there is a catch to all of this.
How can you prove that the PS4 is more powerful? Really.
The power difference between the Playstation 4 and Xbox One is not clear, and that is another truth.
Gamers cannot tell the difference between a 720p Image and a 1080p Image.
So that satisfaction you guys have is one that is not clear to Gamers. As a matter of fact it is not clear to anybody.
Oh, I almost forgot, more and more Games are 1080p even on the Xbox One, which will make even harder to convince people
the Playstation 4 is more powerful.
What is the point of saying something that people cannnot even see?
If I was trying to convince people that the PS4 is more powerful, I think people would think I am a fanatic. I would just stop trying and let people choose which console they want to buy.
It's a lose, lose situation I think.
Just my thoughts.

Around the Network

Yes we can. Even my parents can lol!

What am i even reading here
your post is written in 720p, needs sharper picture to understand.

If you cannot tell the difference, you should go visit the doctor.

There should be a "Gamers react to" series/double blind study where gamers are asked if they're playing a game in 1080 or 720p. The meltdowns of people figuring out they were playing a 1080p game on 720p screen would be hilarious.

IMO Difference in the two resolutions doesn't seem to obviously take over until you get past 50" displays. Art direction and framerate matter more anyway.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

I can certainly tell between 720p and 1080p. Go on YouTube and look at the different resolutions for those that support all the way up to 1080. The difference is clear. Maybe not night and day, but still clear nonetheless.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

On a big 1080p screen, I can tell the difference.

Not sure if people can if they're playing on a small 720p screen though, or just a small screen in general.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Yes I can

You have to consider it as part of larger picture, with the PS4 being more powerful and CHEAPER. They've cut the price on the Xbone and started adding free game bundles (I dunno if Sony is doing the same thing) but they still don't have the power or the "positive buzz"

Get Lost Odyssey 2 or Halo Wars 2 and we might start talking again Microsoft.

Y'know I honestly don't think that most consumers can tell the difference, but people will choose the version with the obvious advantage in graphics even if they personally can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080p. The issue MS has now is that the standard rhetoric among their hopeful consumers is that the PS4 is more powerful and gets better version of multiplats. It's going to take more than showing how the difference are actually minimal to fight off that stigma. At this point the PS4 doesn't even have to be more powerful to reap the benefits, they just have to be perceived as such, and I think they've done that extremely well.

Whether or not they can or can't, the issue is that the gamers are informed enough to know that the x1 is weaker anyway cause of all the comparisons

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850