By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which "Tales" series game should I play? Never played any of them.

Wright said:
Anfebious said:

There are a lot of plot twists... but most of them can be deduced before they happen. This happens because the plots are cliched so if you played your share of JRPG's then you will probably know every plot twist before it happens.

The characters are funny and a lot of them are likeable so as long as you like the cast and the battle system you are going to love the games!

Yes, Karol is so likeable...

Well there are some exceptions of course!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Symphonia is my favorite of the series so I would play that one regardless of how it looks. It's a terrific game that will take you 60 hours to beat.

Vincoletto said:
Which one is better in terms of story? Xillia, Graces or Symphonia?

I haven't played Xillia yet, but Graces is awful. Avoid it unless you get a huge Tales boner after playing a few. Symphonia, Phantasia, and Abyss are my favorites. Lagendia, Symphonia 2, Graces, and Innosence are garbage. The rest I havn't had a chance to play yet, so I can't tell you.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Vincoletto said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

For the most part (with exception to the nifty different aspects of the Combat system) they play reasonably similar.

Biggest thing is the story: I like the characters in all the games on the PS3 (Xillia1/2, SymphoniaChronicles, Graces F) but they have similar overall themes but definitely different tones.

I call Graces F's story "The Power of Friendship"

Xillia is more mature (especially the second one fuck if I dont feel like a complete ass a good bit of the time, but I really dig it) The second one also has the best character development of all of them on PS3.  Hell, the main character is my least favorite part of Xillia 2.  I like the option to choose what I say, but really?  He wont say it?  And everything he does say is 1 word (Kind of Annoying with almost everything else voiced). 

Symphonia is more of a feel good story than the other two (first game). Second Game I characterize as the "Power of Love".  The second game is like Xillia 2 in that it also features the cast of the first game in the series, but with different main characters.

You can usual find a good combo price on Xilla 1 / Graces F (and Symphonia Chronicles isnt to expensive). If you can deal with the Older School Graphics on Symphonia, Id start with it. They did not bother me at all and it is definitely an earlier, less advanced battle system than the other 2.

Thanks. I was thinking about starting with symphonia since is the first in the "ps3 sequence". I herar everywhere that it is a really good game, and I'm afraid once I played Xillia I would never want to go back to the older games because of the dated graphics. Also I'm 33year old so maybe the dated/childish graphics style would turn me down on the game.

So, for now, it is a tie between Symphonia and Xillia for me

Better story vs better technology

Hell ya, I am 33 also.  I played both Graces F (came out first on PS3) and Xillia (next) before playing Tales of Symphonia/DOTNW (remake of a GC and Wii game).  The graphics will definitely remind you of the PS2, though in a decent way.  Symphonia is leaps and bounds better than DOTNW, though I do not have the hate for it that many others do.

PhantomLink said:

Tales of Graces f is you are interested in gameplay and Tales of Xillia or Tales of Symphonia if you want better story. STAY AWAY from Tales of Symphonia DOTNW

Why would you recommend Symphonia for story and especially over Graces' story?

For a newcomer, I'd start with Symphonia only because you won't be able to enjoy it after you play the later games with all of the improvements.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

IMO Graces is the worst.

Xillia is average, Xillia 2 makes somethings better but the story is worse.

Vesperia and Symphonia are the way to go.

Chris Hu said:
Munkeh111 said:
Any of them remotely turn based?

I'm interested in the series, but much prefer turn based RPGs and there aren't many left....

No, they are all action RPGs but very good ones at that.  I prefer turn based also but the Tales games are all pretty good.

I may get Tales of Hearts R for Vita (I may be wrong with the name)

Don't have much choice on Vita do I

Vincoletto said:

Big FF fan here (up till FFXII), specially the PS1 era.

It's been a looooong time since I don't play a JRPG again and want to try one for PS3.

then play "Ni No Kuni" , i have 14 rpgs on my ps3 and ni no kuni is my favourit. tales of xillia (1) and tales of graces f are nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Ni-No-Kuni-Wrath-Playstation-3/dp/B007A7UJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410298856&sr=8-1&keywords=Ni+No+Kuni

outlawauron said:
PhantomLink said:

Tales of Graces f is you are interested in gameplay and Tales of Xillia or Tales of Symphonia if you want better story. STAY AWAY from Tales of Symphonia DOTNW

Why would you recommend Symphonia for story and especially over Graces' story?

For a newcomer, I'd start with Symphonia only because you won't be able to enjoy it after you play the later games with all of the improvements.

Why not? In my opinion Symphonia's story was way more enjoyable than Graces'.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Munkeh111 said:
Chris Hu said:

No, they are all action RPGs but very good ones at that.  I prefer turn based also but the Tales games are all pretty good.

I may get Tales of Hearts R for Vita (I may be wrong with the name)

Don't have much choice on Vita do I

I am a Huge Turn based fan as well but I must say even though the Tales series are action based they are very strategic and play very well. THey are definitely worth a try.

On Topic:

Symphonia was by far my favorite of the series.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23