By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which "Tales" series game should I play? Never played any of them.

The story in these games isn't important. The Tales of series is known for it's cliched plots and it's use of complicated language for simple stuff. For example here in the real world we call the tiny bits that compose us as atoms. But in Tales of the Abyss they call them fonons and they don't explain that shit until you played the game for 6 hours. So remember, the plot isn't important!

The most important thing about these games is the battle system! It's fun specially at higher difficulty settings!

As for the first game you should play? You could play Symphonia>Abyss>Graces F>Vesperia>Xillia. Those 5 are the best and if you play them in that order you have a chance at bypassing the "OMG the graphics suck" syndrome.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
Any of them remotely turn based?

I'm interested in the series, but much prefer turn based RPGs and there aren't many left....

Yep, unfortunately. Sometmes I wonder if they disapeared because people think turn bases suck or if they disapeard only for the sake of being "modern"

Anfebious said:

The story in these games isn't important. The Tales of series is known for it's cliched plots and it's use of complicated language for simple stuff. For example here in the real world we call the tiny bits that compose us as atoms. But in Tales of the Abyss they call them fonons and they don't explain that shit until you played the game for 6 hours. So remember, the plot isn't important!

The most important thing about these games is the battle system! It's fun specially at higher difficulty settings!

As for the first game you should play? You could play Symphonia>Abyss>Graces F>Vesperia>Xillia. Those 5 are the best and if you play them in that order you have a chance at bypassing the "OMG the graphics suck" syndrome.

That's bad news, I though the story would be deeper in those games. So no big plot twists and stuff?

Munkeh111 said:
Any of them remotely turn based?

I'm interested in the series, but much prefer turn based RPGs and there aren't many left....

No, they are all action RPGs but very good ones at that.  I prefer turn based also but the Tales games are all pretty good.

Tales of Graces f is you are interested in gameplay and Tales of Xillia or Tales of Symphonia if you want better story. STAY AWAY from Tales of Symphonia DOTNW

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Around the Network

If you need a good graphic to enjoy a game, then choose Xillia (you can find it at better price than the others) or, even better, Vesperia (i prefer this one). However, in absolute terms i prefer Symphonia, and maybe even Graces.. ;) but don't worry,  all of these games are good, so it doesn't really matter which one you play first.

I'm here also to improve my english, so tell me if you notice some errors.

There is a bundle in the playstation store that includes both ToX and ToGf 

Link

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Vesperia and Symphonia in my opinion are the pinnacle for Tales series. Vesperia is my personal favorite so I'm a bit bias towards it, but def check out both if you can they're fantastic.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Vincoletto said:
Anfebious said:

That's bad news, I though the story would be deeper in those games. So no big plot twists and stuff?

There are a lot of plot twists... but most of them can be deduced before they happen. This happens because the plots are cliched so if you played your share of JRPG's then you will probably know every plot twist before it happens.

The characters are funny and a lot of them are likeable so as long as you like the cast and the battle system you are going to love the games!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

There are a lot of plot twists... but most of them can be deduced before they happen. This happens because the plots are cliched so if you played your share of JRPG's then you will probably know every plot twist before it happens.

The characters are funny and a lot of them are likeable so as long as you like the cast and the battle system you are going to love the games!

Yes, Karol is so likeable...