By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why do "some" religious groups not accept Same Sex relations, but have no problems with Inter- racial relations?

JakDaSnack said:
eva01beserk said:

This amased me to when I first heard it, so I looked much into it. Here is the ovboius link of wiki that explains it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls 

Aparantly I was wrong with dates but whatever.

This is a translation of the scrols. http://www.ao.net/~fmoeller/qumdir.htm

I got to say that I only read parts of genesys and some other parts just because they where the highest on the controversy scale, but I intend on reading it all one day.... maybe.

But just google it. Theres a bunch of crap that comes up. Its not even hard to look for any info on it.

I think i'm missing something but that link was just for isaiah, do you happen to have a link for genesis?  I'm very intrigued by that story.

This was a quick search  http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/scrolls_deadsea/uncovered/uncovered.htm

I saw a lot of things so it might be it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
jigokutamago said:
Remember that lust is one of the seven deadly sins, so from my point of view, Christianity disagrees with any activity solely for the pursuit of sexual desire, heterosexual or not.

I'm sure a religion that teaches that "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" would not want people to hate anyone for any reason.

Also, some of the problems people have this older religious writings can be attributed to the fact that they were written thousands of years ago. Please consider these writings in the context of their times.

I will not. Because those writings are supposed to be the word of God, objective, and timeless.

"Man's law will change. God's law is always the same"

Meaning the "context of the times" is irrelevant, since scriptures, being "holy", "transcend time" and are "always right".

I hate that "context of the times" is used to justify that the Bible condoning things like slavery, because "it was a different time and doesn't apply to today's world" but then flip the script and use the Bible to enforce anti-homosexual sentiments because "This is God's word". Either it's right about everything, being the divine word of the creator, or people are just picking and choosing what to believe and adhere to. But if you're picking and choosing, that means you have a moral compass independent of the Bible that tells you that invading a country, killing all the men and children, livestock, agriculture....but keeping the virgin women "alive for yourselves" (I'm not making this up, either)...is wrong.

But then, don't use that same compass to say homosexuality is wrong "because the Bible says so".

Blouge said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
Blouge said:

(deleting) Sorry I deleted a comment that wasn't helpful

I remember what you said, and I'll reply anyway.

I'd first research the religion before I judge it. Concluding that religions create certain types of people without first understanding the religion(s) in question speaks ignornace. There's no religion that promotes terrorism, racism or any other form of hate and violence. People who practice these harmful things use religion as a catalyst to justify the things they do or want done.

There are many atheists who believe that religion gives way to more violence and hate, but in reality, it's the people who use religion as tools for more violence and more hate.

If you use the bible to justify disliking homosexuality, then you have to explain a whole bunch of other things (e.g. why you still eat shellfish, etc.)

If you don't use the bible to justify disliking homosexuality, then you are bereft of a justification.

I don't envy the morass of contradictory ideas that must be floating in your head, causing cognitive dissonance. What a nightmare that must be!

I personally won't ever engage in homosexuality because I don't believe in doing that, but I do find lesbians to be hot! Those are just my preferences. I'm sure there are people who loathe it. However, that doesn't give them the right to hate the person practicing it. Many atheists don't quite understand this concept. 

Sure, the bible condemns homosexuality, but it doesn't give people the right to judge others because of it. As a matter of fact, that is what Christianity teaches. 

Dunno what you mean by contradictory ideas. I'm assuming you are going by a limited set of knowledge you have on how many of the religions of the world work. Before you draw conclusions, just do research on the principals of religions. Each religion is different, but none of them teach hate or violence.

tak13 said:
eva01beserk said:
tak13 said:

let me add to your comments some facts.How  eva and adam perpetuated the human race?did she have an incest with her son,the story implies that she had oh...?the story of eva and adam is before dinosaurs or after? I m religionless,i believe in god and jesus etc...but not in religion!Also masturbation is prohibited but all the self-named cristians masturbate...so it is way hypocritical someone dissapprove  homosexuality reliant to religion...

Another fun little fact. The original story of adam and eve. The original beings where adam and lilth, created at the same time from the ame dust. But god told lilith that she has to submit to adam wich she found unfair because they where meant to be equal. So then god threw her out of the garden and. God then made eve from adam so she has to submit, wich she did. So when adam and eve separated when kain killed abel, kain had sex with lilith to have many kids, then with seth(he was adam and eves third son, but they had many others) and even with adam, but eventually came back to eve and she only had kids with adam. They dont speak about daughters cuz women meant nothing to them, they had hundreds of daughters eaach, and only a handfull of sons, thats way men where aloud to have many wifes. So thats supost to be where diverssity came from.

The church around 200 hundred years after jesus came, had the highest ranking priest and such, to gather and regroup the storys into one bible, the new testament. SO they removed storys like this one, because women where taking it as a way to be empowerd or something, they also removed the book mary magdeleng wrote as she was originally one of the apostoles and called her a whore while she was jesus bride. They chose the most opresive storys and called it gospel, then when all around the world and burned all writen literature that had this storys and killed all that new. But a few scholars managed to save a copy of it all in a hiden cave next to the dead sea scrolls wich where found around 1970, but there where many hidden caves next to it so the full books where found around 1995. They are called the dead sea scrools and are the oldest livin gproof of the real bibles and the real storys from jessus. Althou the storys are mostly correct, they only removed or altered  the ones that could be used for them to loose power.

So if anyone wants to prach the real word of the prophets and jesus and all those other wise men, have to really read the dead sea scrolls and not the bible. Like someone said before me, I belive in god but not in relion. I attend church because there is a small group that does something besides judge others, and take money from the ignorant, and spread hatefull words. There should not be anyone on top with power, jesus said so, that it caused corruption, so no priest on pope, or anything of the sort should ever tell you they know more then you.

i know about lilith,i m glad that i m not the only one;)( when i saw someone to use eve and adam as an argument loooooool...i made reasearch and i learn the full story!This year i started to wondering for the validity of this story i hadnt  thought  of that never before...directly dinosaurs came into my mind,showing me that this story is a fairytale(that s why priests and church hate science because science can refute them,in my native country someday they wanted to forbid the lesson of biology;))however i believe in god (but not in religion)...because all these thing isnt  just a coincidence,someone must created them and in jesus because tought us love,tolerance(remember he protected the prostitute)frugality,modesty ,magnaminity and some other virtues!Keep in mind ,who they crucified them ,the  religious people who considered jesus tuition a subversive thing  that introduce new morals which undermine their religion,the today people who consider themselves great and perfect, because they are religious , those who always try to show how good they are and who is the best religious, they ressemble to the jesus crucifiers, the pharisees ! a question to you why old testament and new testament  are being together ,when they condradict each other loooool?p.s  most of the religious people are hypocrites,like those who were ready to stone the prostitute and jesus said them: he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her...

Pecause they wanted to sound like this was what jesus said all along. what the profets fore told. SO they told the story how they wanted to keep the masses oblivious, by thinking they had some kind of divine power to predict the future. At least in my theory. Just keep in mind that comoners where not allowed to read the bible. The gatheri in church but only one man was alowed to read it and it was the highest lever priest wich took all their money. It wasent untill much later that the people where allowed to read the bible by themselfs. This is why they had to change all those books to fit what they have been saying and keep the people scared of their power. All religion is a way to keep people under control by a unexplainable god. I agrre with you that we dont need relion to know the real god. infact I think we get closer to him when we ingnore the propaganda some relions spread.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

This was a quick search  http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/scrolls_deadsea/uncovered/uncovered.htm

I saw a lot of things so it might be it.

I couldn't find it after a brief 2 min search, but it might be in it.  But ya, I did some searching and I'm still quite skeptical about the story, it would be cool if it were true but I'm pretty doubtful.  I've heard of the mary magdelion (or however you spell that) story before so I wasn't quite as interested, but I hadn't really studied the dead sea scrolls, so this link will be a quite fascinating to read.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network

Because God's purpose for creating a man and a woman is to procreate, populate the Earth, and take care of his creation. Procreation can only occur between a man and a woman. This is one of the few principles that's consistent between creationism and evolution. For the human race to continue to exist, we have to reproduce. If we don't reproduce, eventually we will go extinct. Survival of the fittest.

As for interracial relations, the Christian doctrine is pretty clear about the gospel being for all cultures and races. The Great Commission calls for all Christians to preach the word to the ends of the Earth. The gospel, while claiming exclusive truth, commands its followers to be inclusive-acting, as in, to love all people as yourself.

Because it got to the point where it was just unacceptable to be racist openly/publicly. Homosexuality will get their too one day, they're just clinging on for something to hate.

And this isn't really aimed at religious people as such but people in general, always need to vent their misplaced anger and prejudice at someone ...

Marriage and the term marriage is a religous concept and instution from my understanding.  Get around the problem is not to call it Marriage.

Because they're jerks.

Machiavellian said:

Marriage and the term marriage is a religous concept and instution from my understanding.  Get around the problem is not to call it Marriage.

No, matrimony is a religious concept and institution. Matrimony is a union recognized by God. Marriage, on the other hand, is a union recognized by the state.