By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you want this generation to be shorter, longer or the same length as last gen?

Do you want this generation to be shorter, longer or the same length as last gen?

Shorter 98 52.41%

Same 67 35.83%

Longer 22 11.76%

Total:187

I would be happy with the consoles coming holiday 2020. 6 years sound good to me. 8 years for PS3 and 9 years for Xbox360 was way to long.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
InnocentSin said:
Isn't this generation supposed to last ten years or something?

Where did you hear that?? 

I could've sworn some anaylsts said that. 

But I would rather this generation be shorter than the last.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Good games take longer times, short generations = less good games.
Its that simple.

Shorter, 5 - 6 years is fine between generations. 4K is just starting now, by 2019 4K VR should be possible and sub 1080p upscaled to 4K won't impress anyone.

Good games are sooner hindered by old tech. As long as the next gen doesn't go to complicated exotic hardware it will only make development easier.

I don't really care as long as the games are good :-S

InnocentSin said:
MoHasanie said:
InnocentSin said:
Isn't this generation supposed to last ten years or something?

Where did you hear that?? 

I could've sworn some anaylsts said that. 

But I would rather this generation be shorter than the last.

AMD said that console manufacturers have already started work on the next consoles are were prediting a shorter generation this time. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Technology is a B. You think you've reached the top when you've just discovered a new world. I still think that in order for games to evolve we need to learn to work with what we have. One thing that game developers(specificall in the west) lack is critical thinking skills. We need to look beyond ourselves and see what we can do within this generation. Quit looking ahead when you don't even realize where you are.

I'd like it to be as long or longer, as I've already decided not to continue gaming after this gen. I'll just keep my PS4 while the games keep coming out, then clean up any good ones I missed over the years, and then bow out and retire.
No matter how long this gen last, it will probably be 2023 when I'm done.

Last gen was a disaster. Everyone whined how their visually outdated game was looking better than other peoples visually outdated game and most games looked the same (because devs couldnt be bothered to create great art-style at all)

I was tired by the look of the games in 2008/9 or so thank god around 2010 people made some use of the shaders/lighting (Battlefield3, SaintsRow3, Hitman Absolution etc look okay again) but the worlds looked way to blocky. )

PS4 introduced Crysis 1 graphics with modern shaders/lighting etc but we are still at least 3 years behind in terms of visual quality. The lenght made me almost stop gaming completely at least for realistic looking games. PC saved my hobby even tho my PC is roughly 5 years old.

Way to much money was wasted on trying to squeeze the last bit of visual power out of antiquated technology and games got worse because of that. ( wasting XX% amount of budget to get a 1digit% visual increase and then you have less money for more important things)

If the devs and their games would be better okay but if the whole industry is focusing on visuals but incapable of delivering for several years it gets annoying. A easy fix for that would be good art-style and not trying to make everything realistic but devs simply dont want to do that.

TBH I hope this gen stops around 2018. I dont want to wait 6 more years...

SvennoJ said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Good games take longer times, short generations = less good games.
Its that simple.

Shorter, 5 - 6 years is fine between generations. 4K is just starting now, by 2019 4K VR should be possible and sub 1080p upscaled to 4K won't impress anyone.

Good games are sooner hindered by old tech. As long as the next gen doesn't go to complicated exotic hardware it will only make development easier.

4k isn't going to improve game play much in the way of anything. Especially while, we currently don't have much AA developers, the only people who even feasible utilize 4k properly are AAA, who probably won't anytime soon, because budgets are bloated as it is. Advances in technology are pretty much irrelevant if they aren't affordable which takes much longer than just developing the hardware. 

Not to mention, 4K resolution TVs are not widespread.

5-6 years is fine if you want to make a new tech demo to impress people, but fidelity is only a single aspect of what it takes to make a game.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

JazzB1987 said:

TBH I hope this gen stops around 2018. I dont want to wait 6 more years...

But  don't you think 4 years is too short? Paying $400 for a new console but then only using it for 4 years seems like a waste of money to me. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54