By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could DMC4 be done on the Wii?

"That's sure an expensive GPU for a reduced and overclocked Flipper."

Compared to estimated 140$ for the initial cost of the GPU in 360/PS3 its a steal . You have to remember that you will always need to pay high initial cost for custom chips like that and they use some pretty expensive RAM, I don't think that all of it is included in the 7.9$. Besides I think the differences between Wii and Gamecube are primarily located in the GPU which has a Gamecube mode and some Wii extensions. 

Around the Network

They forgot the Wii-mote, nun-chuck, stand and sensor bar that comes with the Wii.

My understanding is the controllers are not cheap to manufacture.

However, surely costs have come down for all of it some since Dec 2006.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

^no they didn't. the total cost is 158.3 but the components listed don't add up to that number so it's probably included in the gap.

So... DMC4 for Wii anyone?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.
Daddo Splat said:
ok the wii has better effects at 480p tops those effects look way better then the original GC.

Still if the leap between GC graphics to wii graphics same resolution different effects! better programming! is say 3 times more powerful! the cpu is said to 1.5 times more powerful then the GC!

there should be better image quality!

the 360 cost $550.00 at launch to make! they have a deal to get the Ati GPU at less then cost so ati was losing money on the chip out of the box!

Ati or amd if you will has a licensing agreement with the 360 or MS to make aprox. $10.00 per game sold! thats one reason the the games went from $50 to $60 ea.

so now they make thier money back on the graphics chip!

The Wii cost about $200 to make at launch with Ati selling the chip at a profit to Nintendo with no licensing agreement on the games!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wii-autopsy-discovers-manufacturing-cost-221736.php

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=52214

http://www.techshout.com/gaming/2005/25/xbox-360-incurrs-thrice-the-cost-for-making-than-what-it-sells-for/

So in short ya the could probably port the game to run like crap kinda like running crysis on a high end pc to a low end pc

say one running a 8800 gtx to a 5950 superclock ! something like that

or in crysis sense more like 2 8800 gtx against a 7600gt with on getting a 6600 duo core and the other a 3500 athlon cpu! apples and oranges yes both can play the game what does it look like afterwards!

What do you mean by that? Do you mean all Wii games should look better than the GC, even though Nintendo has made no requirement of that? It's only recently that developers are really pushing the system. Brawl has graphics just as intensive as Twilight Princess, but at doulbe the framerate, which is already beyond what the GC can do.

Plus previews of some games would certainly be beyond the GC, if the graphics hold up (although many game previews mean I'm not holding my breath). 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
4D Gamer III said:

Possible, but Capcom will not do it.

BTW, many of the early games by third parties run in almost Gamecube mode, that means, they're just using the 24MB of RAM like in the cube. Also, if you check the Wii SDK, you'll notice that it's pretty much not updated from the Cube SDK. That's why there's not so many great stuff out there. I heard somewhere that EAD and Sora are updating it with what they've learned from developing Galaxy and Brawl.

fazz said:
4D Gamer III said:

Possible, but Capcom will not do it.

BTW, many of the early games by third parties run in almost Gamecube mode, that means, they're just using the 24MB of RAM like in the cube. Also, if you check the Wii SDK, you'll notice that it's pretty much not updated from the Cube SDK. That's why there's not so many great stuff out there. I heard somewhere that EAD and Sora are updating it with what they've learned from developing Galaxy and Brawl.

No. The producer or director said he doesn't think it would work (same as one of the heads of the Bionic Commando remake). People have just been twisting it to mean all of Capcom due to whishful thinking.

These are often the same people who say "the Wii can't have every AAA game", as though they Wii was getting loads of the AAA 3rd-party games, when all we want is the Wii to get SOME.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Daddo Splat said:
ok the wii has better effects at 480p tops those effects look way better then the original GC.

Still if the leap between GC graphics to wii graphics same resolution different effects! better programming! is say 3 times more powerful! the cpu is said to 1.5 times more powerful then the GC!

there should be better image quality!

the 360 cost $550.00 at launch to make! they have a deal to get the Ati GPU at less then cost so ati was losing money on the chip out of the box!

Ati or amd if you will has a licensing agreement with the 360 or MS to make aprox. $10.00 per game sold! thats one reason the the games went from $50 to $60 ea.

so now they make thier money back on the graphics chip!

The Wii cost about $200 to make at launch with Ati selling the chip at a profit to Nintendo with no licensing agreement on the games!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wii-autopsy-discovers-manufacturing-cost-221736.php

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=52214

http://www.techshout.com/gaming/2005/25/xbox-360-incurrs-thrice-the-cost-for-making-than-what-it-sells-for/

So in short ya the could probably port the game to run like crap kinda like running crysis on a high end pc to a low end pc

say one running a 8800 gtx to a 5950 superclock ! something like that

or in crysis sense more like 2 8800 gtx against a 7600gt with on getting a 6600 duo core and the other a 3500 athlon cpu! apples and oranges yes both can play the game what does it look like afterwards!

What do you mean by that? Do you mean all Wii games should look better than the GC, even though Nintendo has made no requirement of that? It's only recently that developers are really pushing the system. Brawl has graphics just as intensive as Twilight Princess, but at doulbe the framerate, which is already beyond what the GC can do.

Plus previews of some games would certainly be beyond the GC, if the graphics hold up (although many game previews mean I'm not holding my breath). 

theres should be and there is! exclamation not a question?? sorry for the confusion!

fazz said:
Daddo Splat said:

Wow, I don't trust the Inquirer at all, but that does seem interesting (yeah, first time I see it by component). That's sure an expensive GPU for a reduced and overclocked Flipper.

And I agree Daddo, it would (hypothetically) need to be scaled for optimal performance on the Wii.

the bottom line has to be close because the wii sells for $250.00 and reports across the board say Nintendo was making $ 50.00 on every Wii at launch! so $ 200.00 manufacturing costs is close plus mark up for retailers

DMC4 with extra content for the Wii would be nice.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.