By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could DMC4 be done on the Wii?

sc94597 said:
polishforlife said:
Cheebee said:
Geez this thread's gotten long. :p
I'd say Wii can do Halo 3. And Uncharted. Maybe even Crysis.

Yeah right, it can handle those kinda graphics. So you're saying wii is on par with PS3 or even more powerful. People who buyed wii don't really care about graphics. So why we see those treads of what could be done on the wii. I rather have some innovative games than some port from another console.

Lmao you know cheebee was joking right

Hahaha, that's so funny how some people don't get sarcasm. :p 

Yes I was joking. No I don't think Wii can handle graphics like those in the games I mentioned. Still, I do believe Wii is able to pull off some great things graphics-wise, quite a bit better than SMG even. Also, I totally agree with bobobologna.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Point of of joke being funny right. So what's funny about it.

Kyros said:
"Wii would probably fall in the 4-5 range."

And here I would disagree if the range is not logarithmic or something. In my totally unscientific opinion the Wii is at best 2times as powerful as the GC and perhaps 1.5 times the XBOX. The 360 and PS3 on the other hand would be more like ten times as powerful. At least the CPU is for the PS3 theoretically even more. But I would think 10times is fair. They have 10 times as much memory. The clockspeed of a single core is 6 times that of PS2/GC and they have 3 or 7 cores.

So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being PS3, 360 and one being the Gamecube, the Wii is at best at a 2. Look at the games. But I think we can both agree that this is just guesswork on your side and on mine.

The cell is only a single core with 7spes. Some it can't even use. If you consider the cell multicore then broadway is multicore too.

@Viper1

I did not multiply clock speeds, I did not state that the 360 is 9.6GHz and the PS3 22.4GHz.

Copper/Aluminium makes NO difference to the performance, just to the efficiency (ie. heat dissipation and power consumption). If the Wii PPC based processor is faster than the x86 based XBox CPU, it's down to the RISC based instruction set, not the material it's made of.

A well written program could make full use of all the cores of the 360 or the SPUs of the PS3. How much multi-threaded code have you written?

WinAPE - The Windows Amstrad Plus Emulator

JEMU  - The Java Emulation Platform

"The cell is only a single core with 7spes. Some it can't even use. "

One it only uses for the OS. It has 6 for free use because of this I talked of 7. 1 PowerPC + 6 floating point crunchers.

"If you consider the cell multicore then broadway is multicore too."

??? The Broadway had 6 additional processing cores with their own cache and as much floating point power as the main core? Interesting. Besides you will see that I didn't say that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. (It is for some purposes but not for all) But I think no one is arguing that the Cell is less powerful than the 3 cored Xenon. But that is really not the point.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
"Now I don't mean pushing it to its limits. That takes a few years. But it does mean that we don't really have that many practical indications of the system's power yet."

Possibly true. On the other hand this also holds true for PS3 and 360. Even more so since those consoles are completely new while the Wii is very similar to the Gamecube. Which means developers already know their way around. But anyway even if games for the Wii will be looking better in 1-2 years. The gap to the 360/PS3 won't decrease at all.

"The Wii is not in a graphical league with the PS2. It has a lot more memory, and is a lot more powerful. You can deny it, but you'd be wrong. ""

I do not deny the "more powerful" statement. On the other hand PS3/360 have multi-core 3GHz CPUs, Graphic-cards that were cutting-edge 1-2 years ago with Shader Model 3 and a complete Shader pipeline. 512Mb memory,

Compared to a single 730MHz core, a GPU without modern shader technology and 91MB RAM.
Oh btw, the original xbox:
Single Core 733MHZ, 64MB Ram, GPU with 1 Pixel and 2 Vertex-Shader,

I really do not get why Wii fans cannot accept the fact that there is no magic that makes a high-end machine out of these stats. The Wii is cheap, Nintendo makes a profit with every machine sold, its small and has no big technical problems. You get what you pay for.

Wait a MINUTE. I did NOT claim the Wii was a high end machine. You seem to be assuming the Wii can either be low end, like the PS2, or high end, like the 360/PS3. And the specs say it must be low end.

Haven't you heard of MEDIUM? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

"The Wii pushes anamorphic widescreen at 480p. It outputs most likely at 640x480."

Link, please?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"The Wii pushes anamorphic widescreen at 480p. It outputs most likely at 640x480."

Link, please?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46169 is the best source I could find.

"games like mario, metroid... are 640x448 or 640x456 in 16/9 mode"

This is the same guy who revealed that Halo 3 was rendering at 640p. 

Granted, it's not an "official" source, but it's a good forum to browse for technical talkings.

bobobologna said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Link, please?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46169 is the best source I could find.

Granted, it's not an "official" source, but it's a good forum to browse for technical talkings.

That doesn't mean the wii can't  produce higher resoluitions in te future.

bobobologna said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Link, please?

That's more upscaling than anamorphic. Yet it would make sense to save the frame buffer that way.