Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ways of improving the wii u

Tagged games:

Do you agree

Yes 13 46.43%

No 7 25.00%

Nintendo should stay the way it is 8 28.57%

Total:28

So with Nintendo saying there moving away i think the wii u needs a update like

1.New pro controller with headset/phone jack and analog triggers and button layout like the gamecube controller or ps4

2. wii u with a bigger hardrive 500gb

3.get rid of unnececary things bundled in the wii u and and a pro controller and making every game have an option to play with either the gamepad or pro controller 

4. have first party games online and online chat with everyone what i mean byn that is that in mk8 there's no chat in public lobbies which is truly strange for game made in 2014

5.get back the big third party games ex: assasin's creed, Call of duty, ea/2k sports game 

6. advertise the damn thing more for hardcore instead of family friendly nintendo in my opinion that really hurts nintendo's image if they want to cater to the hardcore

7. support the console after the succesor is announced and released 

Around the Network

why u want a bigger drive? u can upgrade realy easy. they want allways a lot more money if they give u more space.
50$ minimum for 500gb, buying a HD is much cheaper

Marketing something with "Wii" in the name to hardcore consumers won't work, it's like trying to market a Twilight movie to males, there's too much stigma attached to the brand, Nintendo made their bed with a casual console with a controller gimmick that didn't take off and now they kinda have to ride it out.

At this point their best bet is to try and get the price of the system down as much as possible and reposition the system for kids with amiibo. Thought New 3DS is kind of a kick in the gut for that because it offers amiibo functionality for a lower cost.

Nintendo hasn't supported the SNES, N64, GCN, or Wii far past their successors, so I doubt Wii U (which likely is going to be lowest selling one) will get a ton of support after its successive platform is launched. 

As for chat functionality not being there it's intentional. I don't think Nintendo wants "hey cocksucker!" being the last thing you hear before starting a race. 

I agree with most of the stuff, but unfortunately the only thing that I see happening is #4.
Even that seems really unlikely for nintendo though...

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Yea your right about nintendo trying to market a console with the name wii in it

Around the Network
RealGamingExpert said:
I agree with most of the stuff, but unfortunately the only thing that I see happening is #4.
Even that seems really unlikely for nintendo though...

yea i now only see #4 happening after what you posted

Those aren't bad ideas but won't have a significant impact on sales.

Its time to accept core 3rd party support on Wii U is virtually dead. That console has been on the market for about two years now, core gamers have little interest in Wii U. Most of them own PS360 and they will primarily upgrade to PS4 or X1.

Nintendo should basically stay the course and keep appealing to Nintendo fans and fans of Japanese gaming. Hopefully they will sell 25 - 30 million units, which would be respectable.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

waltz said:

So with Nintendo saying there moving away i think the wii u needs a update like

1.New pro controller with headset/phone jack and analog triggers and button layout like the gamecube controller or ps4

2. wii u with a bigger hardrive 500gb

3.get rid of unnececary things bundled in the wii u and and a pro controller and making every game have an option to play with either the gamepad or pro controller 

4. have first party games online and online chat with everyone what i mean byn that is that in mk8 there's no chat in public lobbies which is truly strange for game made in 2014

5.get back the big third party games ex: assasin's creed, Call of duty, ea/2k sports game 

6. advertise the damn thing more for hardcore instead of family friendly nintendo in my opinion that really hurts nintendo's image if they want to cater to the hardcore

7. support the console after the succesor is announced and released 

1. Very niche audience. Not a bad idea for them but it's hard enough to keep shelf space for Wii U right now without adding more obscure accessories.

2. External HDD price is basically identical, no reason to force bundling for a device with terrible online functions. Plus games couldn't fully take advantage of the drive, since they could not assume that every system would have the hard drive space to have a large HDD install/cache.

3. For a lot of games, removing the gamepad requirement would be nearly impossible. They'd have to go back and reprogram a bunch of games (many of which they likely don't have the permission to reprogram) or else the system wouldn't work with those old games at all. Then there's also the game companies being forced to develop gamepad support that won't even be useable by all gamers. They might just skip it entirely and make no interesting gamepad features, since they'd only be appealing to a portion of the Wii U audience (which might be smaller than the whole Wii U audience would have grown to at that point, without a gamepad-less version).

4. I think parents would rather their kids not have online chat, and that's a big part of their market. It can be toxic in general, too, even among only adults.

5. They need to have more people buying it that are interested in third party games for that. The people who buy those big $60 releases regularly seem to be okay to spend $400 on a PS4 or else just stick with PS3/X360.

6. So they should advertise it more for hardcore players based on what? Nintendo's reputation for making hardcore games? Nintendo's long appeal to adult gamers? They have no history on it. Microsoft has a lot more reputation and history with doing that (with minimal focus on "family friendly" content at best), and they're struggling too. This is no guarantee of anything. Plus, they'd have to start developing mature content right now and release it 1-2 years from now at the soonest, which is likely near the end of the Wii U's life cycle anyhow.

7. Wii (original) was dropped like a rock. That's not all bad though. Backwards compatability, a cheap system, and low used prices made it pretty unimportant.

Their audience has matured, and the new audience is interested in other types of gaming. They aren't delivering the heavy hitters as rapidly as needed to keep the boat afloat. The system is too expensive with the forced accessory for what it is. It has had poor marketing.

A bunch of things could help it, only big exclusives could possibly save it (or prolong its death). Ending its life soon with a powerful successor (comparable to PS4) is a stronger plan.

I agree with most, if not all of them! However, I think it's too late and none of them would impact WiiU sales too much...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

For marketing I'd push amiibo *hard* on the kids networks along with maybe a Smash CGI commercial.

But for general ads ... I think you might as well take some chances now and try to be different. I'd do something wacky like something in between the Madden Season commercial and wacky Japanese TV ads. The more over the top and fun the better. Fill it up with celebrity cameos.

I'd also maybe take a page out of Sega's 90s style marketing and maybe have some commercials that poke fun at Sony/MS ... ie: a group of obese "comic book" nerd types are lined up for the new Call of Duty or Destiny for PS4/XB1 when they notice Bayonetta 2 on the display and can't believe how crazy/fast/awesome it is and how dull/generic FPS no.238383 looks to them, and then maybe have the hot girl walk in and buy Bayo 2 and shake her head at the guys lined up for COD/Destiny.

Have some fun with it. I'd purposely make the marketing really fun and over the top because I think that angle "works" better for the Wii U and maybe position it as a wacky Japanese product that's "cool" for Americans "in the know".

You can't market "hardcore" head on with Sony/MS, you will lose, but lets take the piss out of the all the "video games are serious business" stuff and position Wii U as the "remember when gaming was just fun?" type thing. I'd purposely go after modern gaming tropes like the FPS/military shooter with bland colors and make fun of it.