By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Lazy Americans.....‘We’re a Movement Now': Fast Food Workers Strike in 150 Cities (edit) OP is poor, don't act like I am being all high and mighty!

Keegs79 said:
Hoodieninja said:
Keegs79 said:

I will tell you that I have no sympathy for them. The jobs don't take any skills. That is one reason why you don't get paid a lot. Another is that these jobs were never meant to be for people with families. It used to be teenagers that took the brunt of these jobs. I don't know how much that has changed but its ridiculous to consider giving a skill less job a raise. I get paid just over 15 dollars with 14 years in the navy. How much do these people deserve compared to my experience and skills? They deserve the same??? I know a lot of people that do harder work for less than 15 dollars than flipping burgers! I know people start out working in shipyards getting 10 dollars an hour in the heat all day long with actual skills.

Lastly, if they get paid more than some of these people are going to lose their jobs and the prices of the food will go up. You can't have it both ways. Its not about having sympathy. It's logic. It's economics.

Sorry it's not logic.
You get Benefits working in the Government THEY DON'T. If in services you get Food, Free Healthcare and many things for free.

Also NOT EVERYBODY is fit for the Navy.

Also Minimum Wage use to be able to Provide for a family, that's a fact. If anything the MINIMUM wage should be enough for them to get an Education, Provide a Decent Place to stay, Provide for MEDICAL expenses. And it does NONE OF those things correctly.

1. Wrong. I don't get benefits. I don't work for the government. If they want an education than they need to look for tuition assistance and do what others do. This has been going on for what 30 years or more. I don't know how long but I long time and someone like you NOW thinks they deserve more money? Paying more just screws things for everyone. If the minimum wage were to go up than prices for everything goes up because that money needs to be paid somehow.

2. Im not in the navy anymore and a stupid excuse is being not fit when they can make themselves so. Besides, the standards are not that high compared to what I believe they should be.

3. Mr Joe who you would say needs his money for his "education" just lost his job because they had to cut corners to make up for lost revenue or perhaps they need to close completely because they are not getting paid enough to substain business. Medical expenses? Geez. Its a FAST FOOD JOB! It's not meant for a career. Nobody is forcing these jobs on anyone.

1. It all depends but those prices shouldn't be very drastic, paying an extra 25 cents so somebody can earn 3 more dollars is a fair Increase. it doesn't screw everyone in fact RAISING the minimum has been proven to BOOST the economy is done properly.

2. They're much better than working at a Fast food restaurant that's for sure.

3. Again just because a job is Providing for Medical expenses doesn't mean it has to be a Career Job. Many first world countries provide very good Health-care. The U.S. system is by far the worst and we PAY more MONEY than any other country with LITTLE to NO BENEFIT.

Around the Network
Hoodieninja said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:

Many people who have Iphones and also Androids (on minimum wage) only tend to HAVE the phone with no Service, they rely on Free the Internet mc donalds or starbucks has.

They could of potentially have it also as a Present. But who knows a lot of them are TEENS too so you can probably tell whose paying for that phone. But if you're truly Independent or let's say kicked out of the house etc... Minimum Wage jobs don't cut it anymore. I do agree that they're should be balance but I feel the Majority are getting underpaid.

Minimum Wage Laws were made for people to have a Decent Living maybe 15 Dollars isn't asking too much. Maybe the Repairmen and the Navy Seals should also be paid MUCH more.

1. Work a minimum wage job, then you don't get iPhones. You don't get cable TV. You don't get internet. You don't get that car. You don't get a nice place to live, you get that $700/month 1-BR apartment (NY cost, which is higher than a lot of other places). You can't pay that $75/week family med. insurance cost like I have to. They can usually get Medicaid though. Especially Latoya in the OP. She is a single mother with kids who works minimum wage. They are eligible.

2. I also hate the excuse about them not being able to get an education. My fiance makes $32/hour as an in home pediatric nurse. She works directly for Medicaid, but gets NO benefits. No health insurance. She only needs to pay for all her own supplies in order to do her job. She doesn't have her uniforms, gloves, etc... given to her.

3. Because she is considered a single mom (We are not married yet) she gets the state to pay for her continued education. This may change next year though since we recently purchased our first home. To think that 5-years ago, when my daughter was first born, I was just starting my current job, working on the stockroom for $11/hour and she was making $10/hour working with the mentally disabled. Both jobs requiring no additional education beyond high school. When she got pregnant though I had her quit her job while I picked up a lot of extra hours to cover all the costs and had her go full time into an accelerated nursing program, which cost $11,000. We got financial aid for $8,000 of that.

Why can't Latoya in the OP do the same so she can provide a better life for all her kids? $15/hour bump isn't going to do it. She would be eligible for schooling aid. If she looks hard and finds a job at somewhere like a Walmart then she can get them to pay for her schooling, provided of course that she passes the classes AND that schooling is for something that can be applied to a position within the company.

My problem also is that if they win this then expect them to come back later on down the line and demand more.

1. Agree'd Though Medicaid is very limited for the most part and barely covers anything.

2. Was she working a Minimum Wage job before she became a Pediatric Nurse? how did she get the Education to become a Nurse? I think SHE deserves Health-care just as much as She deserved it with the Minimum Wage job.

3. I don't have a problem with that, Walmart is also very careful who they choose to work Full Time because of benefits like those. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing, but it sometimes doesn't work that way.

15/Hour Bump isn't going to do it, but at-least it eases some of Burden Quicker and Faster. You're still relying more and more on the Government Which I don't mind but also getting funding from the Government has also been increasingly much harder due to Higher Costs and people arguing about Wasteful Spending.
There's also an off chance Accidents happen like Medical Issues which will INCREASE burdens and also make it that much harder and that much more unfair in the Social Ladder.

She worked at Petco making $8/hour. Then she worked at a facility for the mentally disabled called Maryhaven and started at $9.25. She quit after 2 years when she was making $10/hour.

She got the education by going into an accelerated nursing program at NYIT. She applied for financial aid as a single mother and got $8,000 of the $11,000 covered. We paid the rest after she finished.

And medical coverage isn't a right. It's a good. You want it, you pay for it, just like I have to do every single week. Someone needs to pay these doctors. $75/week taken from my check. At $15/hour and a family of 4 she won't be able to afford that. Do you think she should get that handed to her too? Do we just give everything to her because we feel bad for her? Who's going to pay for all of this? Do we just say screw it and pay McDonald's fry cooks $20/hour so they can buy nice things like I can?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Keegs79 said:
Hoodieninja said:
Keegs79 said:
Hoodieninja said:
Keegs79 said:

I will tell you that I have no sympathy for them. The jobs don't take any skills. That is one reason why you don't get paid a lot. Another is that these jobs were never meant to be for people with families. It used to be teenagers that took the brunt of these jobs. I don't know how much that has changed but its ridiculous to consider giving a skill less job a raise. I get paid just over 15 dollars with 14 years in the navy. How much do these people deserve compared to my experience and skills? They deserve the same??? I know a lot of people that do harder work for less than 15 dollars than flipping burgers! I know people start out working in shipyards getting 10 dollars an hour in the heat all day long with actual skills.

Lastly, if they get paid more than some of these people are going to lose their jobs and the prices of the food will go up. You can't have it both ways. Its not about having sympathy. It's logic. It's economics.

Sorry it's not logic.
You get Benefits working in the Government THEY DON'T. If in services you get Food, Free Healthcare and many things for free.

Also NOT EVERYBODY is fit for the Navy.

Also Minimum Wage use to be able to Provide for a family, that's a fact. If anything the MINIMUM wage should be enough for them to get an Education, Provide a Decent Place to stay, Provide for MEDICAL expenses. And it does NONE OF those things correctly.

Wrong. I don't get benefits. I don't work for the government. If they want an education than they need to look for tuition assistance and do what others do. This has been going on for what 30 years or more. I don't know how long but I long time and someone like you NOW thinks they deserve more money? Paying more just screws things for everyone. If the minimum wage were to go up than prices for everything goes up because that money needs to be paid somehow.

Im not in the navy anymore and a stupid excuse is being not fit when they can make themselves so. Besides, the standards are not that high compared to what I believe they should be.

Mr Joe who you would say needs his money for his "education" just lost his job because they had to cut corners to make up for lost revenue or perhaps they need to close completely because they are not getting paid enough to substain business. Medical expenses? Geez. Its a FAST FOOD JOB! It's not meant for a career. Nobody is forcing these jobs on anyone.

1. You claimed you worked for the Navy.
2. The Navy Provides Benefits
3. The Navy is part of the Government

4. Time and time again it doesn't, if anything the RICH corporations need to pay people better, the RICH have been getting RICHER and the poor have been getting POORER that's a fact.

5. What so the person with MINIMUM wage doesn't deserve Medical EXPENSES? I know people who were BANKRUPT because of Medical Expenses and due to them trying to be independent Became nearly Bankrupt and is now in Heavy DEBT due to an Accident.

Tuition Assistance, LOL, looking for more Handouts? Escpecially with people complaining that the Government already spends too much money you want to put a Bigger Burden on the Government?

Hence "did" work in the navy for 14 years. I was referring to my experience in the navy that pays me 15 dollars an hour NOW.  I didn't say I currently do so NO I AM NOT a part of the government. If you had some sense you woud know that the military doesn't pay by the hour.  I worked 14 years in the navy and some guy or chick of the streets deserves to get paid the same with no skills, no education, and no experiece? Hell no. Raising the minimum wage will make prices go up. Economics! Than what? They going to whine about everything being too expensive and want ANOTHER raise? No. Minimim wage has NEVER been good for someone to live on. That is why mostly kids have always did the work. It was always a part time job.

If you want them to have medical benefits than a lot of these jobs will be lost. Plain and simple. Its one reason why Obamacare isn't covered under these jobs.

Tuition assistance doesn't apply that it comes directly from the government and besides that, it is there! It is better for them to use what is available than being paid more and not use any tuition. That would be stupid.

1. Assuming they have no skills or no experience, or no Education. Again RAISING the MINIMUM wage also Boosts the Economy if done properly.  Wrong back than in the 1950's Minimum Wage Jobs can provide for a Family. It worked Properly back than IT doesn't work Properly right now.

2. This is more-so the Issue of the Rising Health-care Costs, Again the Poor have been getting Poorer and the RICH have been getting Richer this is INCLUDING big Pharma. This is a much more deepening issue aside from the Minimum Wage issue.

3. Yes, but I assure you that most do.

Mr Khan said:
Your compassion for your fellow man never ceases to amaze me, Spurge.

Says the guy who just killed a village full of townspeople

Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:

Many people who have Iphones and also Androids (on minimum wage) only tend to HAVE the phone with no Service, they rely on Free the Internet mc donalds or starbucks has.

They could of potentially have it also as a Present. But who knows a lot of them are TEENS too so you can probably tell whose paying for that phone. But if you're truly Independent or let's say kicked out of the house etc... Minimum Wage jobs don't cut it anymore. I do agree that they're should be balance but I feel the Majority are getting underpaid.

Minimum Wage Laws were made for people to have a Decent Living maybe 15 Dollars isn't asking too much. Maybe the Repairmen and the Navy Seals should also be paid MUCH more.

1. Work a minimum wage job, then you don't get iPhones. You don't get cable TV. You don't get internet. You don't get that car. You don't get a nice place to live, you get that $700/month 1-BR apartment (NY cost, which is higher than a lot of other places). You can't pay that $75/week family med. insurance cost like I have to. They can usually get Medicaid though. Especially Latoya in the OP. She is a single mother with kids who works minimum wage. They are eligible.

2. I also hate the excuse about them not being able to get an education. My fiance makes $32/hour as an in home pediatric nurse. She works directly for Medicaid, but gets NO benefits. No health insurance. She only needs to pay for all her own supplies in order to do her job. She doesn't have her uniforms, gloves, etc... given to her.

3. Because she is considered a single mom (We are not married yet) she gets the state to pay for her continued education. This may change next year though since we recently purchased our first home. To think that 5-years ago, when my daughter was first born, I was just starting my current job, working on the stockroom for $11/hour and she was making $10/hour working with the mentally disabled. Both jobs requiring no additional education beyond high school. When she got pregnant though I had her quit her job while I picked up a lot of extra hours to cover all the costs and had her go full time into an accelerated nursing program, which cost $11,000. We got financial aid for $8,000 of that.

Why can't Latoya in the OP do the same so she can provide a better life for all her kids? $15/hour bump isn't going to do it. She would be eligible for schooling aid. If she looks hard and finds a job at somewhere like a Walmart then she can get them to pay for her schooling, provided of course that she passes the classes AND that schooling is for something that can be applied to a position within the company.

My problem also is that if they win this then expect them to come back later on down the line and demand more.

1. Agree'd Though Medicaid is very limited for the most part and barely covers anything.

2. Was she working a Minimum Wage job before she became a Pediatric Nurse? how did she get the Education to become a Nurse? I think SHE deserves Health-care just as much as She deserved it with the Minimum Wage job.

3. I don't have a problem with that, Walmart is also very careful who they choose to work Full Time because of benefits like those. There's nothing wrong with what you are doing, but it sometimes doesn't work that way.

15/Hour Bump isn't going to do it, but at-least it eases some of Burden Quicker and Faster. You're still relying more and more on the Government Which I don't mind but also getting funding from the Government has also been increasingly much harder due to Higher Costs and people arguing about Wasteful Spending.
There's also an off chance Accidents happen like Medical Issues which will INCREASE burdens and also make it that much harder and that much more unfair in the Social Ladder.

She worked at Petco making $8/hour. Then she worked at a facility for the mentally disabled called Maryhaven and started at $9.25. She quit after 2 years when she was making $10/hour.

She got the education by going into an accelerated nursing program at NYIT. She applied for financial aid as a single mother and got $8,000 of the $11,000 covered. We paid the rest after she finished.

And medical coverage isn't a right. It's a good. You want it, you pay for it, just like I have to do every single week. Someone needs to pay these doctors. $75/week taken from my check. At $15/hour and a family of 4 she won't be able to afford that. Do you think she should get that handed to her too? Do we just give everything to her because we feel bad for her? Who's going to pay for all of this? Do we just say screw it and pay McDonald's fry cooks $20/hour so they can buy nice things like I can?

Do you think she would of made it without you? Do you not think that the raising the Minimum would of eased her Burden and helped her Climb the Social Ladder faster?

Yes and no, how America has been handling the issue of Health-care is one of the worst. WE in fact pay much more than ANY other country and get little to no benefit out of it.
For the most part if you work at a MINIMUM wage job you get good and Decent health-care in fact health-care that is much more affordable than the U.S.

Yes someone needs to pay the Doctors but it's all about earning money these days in American Hospitals and big pharma which is sad. Everybody in the U.S. is getting GIPPED by Big Pharma and Hospitals.

Everybody deserves DECENT healthcare, even if you don't have a Job or just LOST one, you still deserve Decent Health-care.

Around the Network

Haven't ordered at McDonalds in years. Just finished after driving home. The wife oredered a permium crispy classic sandwich meal. Of course she gets a bacon double Cheeseburger. I get a double quarter pounder meal. Both meals Ordered with large fries and a medium drink. One happy meal alongside at $1.99. Cost just under $20 total and tasted like ass. Wife didn't finish hers because it wasn't what she ordered. Hers also tasted like ass not meat. We could have gotten 3 rolls/subs from the local place for $14 or a stone baked pizza with 3 toppings for $15 (really the best pizza ever)

Then the kicker. We honestly were worried to return and complain because the $15 per hour...ers might spit in our burger...........

Bring me robots please!!

Hoodieninja said:

Do you think she would of made it without you? Do you not think that the raising the Minimum would of eased her Burden and helped her Climb the Social Ladder faster?

Yes and no, how America has been handling the issue of Health-care is one of the worst. WE in fact pay much more than ANY other country and get little to no benefit out of it.
For the most part if you work at a MINIMUM wage job you get good and Decent health-care in fact health-care that is much more affordable than the U.S.

Yes someone needs to pay the Doctors but it's all about earning money these days in American Hospitals and big pharma which is sad.

Honestly? Yes I do. She is actually much more goal oriented and willing to go the extra mile to gain what she wants than I am. She is incredibly driven, which is why she won't settle for what she has now and still wants to further her schooling and get her RN degree, even if she has to do it slowly and it takes 5 years. She is unwilling to just "settle".

Before she even finished her nursing course (Which she finished top 10 in her class) she already had a job lined up at a pediatric doctors office. She then earned a promotion to nursing supervisor and ran the floor. She did this after just one year working there. However it still did not pay as well as what she has now, where she cares for a 4-year old boy with severe cerebral palsy who she loves as if he were her own.

I also agree it is absurdly high. When I first started at my current job back in 2008 my family medical was $37/week. It more than doubled in 6 years, so I won't argue with you there. However, I am not sure a place like a Burger King or a McDonald's, which many are independantly owned, can offer medical coverage. While someone like Latoya might have to pay $75/week, the establishment also needs to pay a boat load into it just to keep the costs down for the employees.

It really isn't something you are going to see happen. It's too expensive.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:

Yes someone needs to pay the Doctors but it's all about earning money these days in American Hospitals and big pharma which is sad.

Honestly? Yes I do. She is actually much more goal oriented and willing to go the extra mile to gain what she wants than I am.

I also agree it is absurdly high. When I first started at my current job back in 2008 my family medical was $37/week. It more than doubled in 6 years, so I won't argue with you there. However, I am not sure a place like a Burger King or a McDonald's, which many are independantly owned, can offer medical coverage. While someone like Latoya might have to pay $75/week, the establishment also needs to pay a boat load into it just to keep the costs down for the employees.

Lucky you, my insurance is much more costly. I do agree that 15 dollars might be too high not including Co-Pay's and what it Covers and all that BS. But also I do feel there is something wrong I don't think the Majority of Americans are Lazy.

The lack of Available good jobs, the Rich getting Richer the Poor getting Poorer. The U.S. Income Gap has increased much faster than any other first world country.

I don't Have the answers, but I do feel that a Minimum Wage increase will in fact Ease peoples burdens and Boost the Economy.

The majority of other first world countries have it better than us. I do feel that the Game to get up the SOCIAL ladder is RIGGED. If you look at the Income Wealth Gap you'll see why.

Hoodieninja said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:

Honestly? Yes I do. She is actually much more goal oriented and willing to go the extra mile to gain what she wants than I am.

Lucky you, my insurance is much more costly. I do agree that 15 dollars might be too high not including Co-Pay's and what it Covers and all that BS. But also I do feel there is something wrong I don't think the Majority of Americans are Lazy.

The lack of Available good jobs, the Rich getting Richer the Poor getting Poorer. The U.S. Income Gap has increased much faster than any other first world country.

I don't Have the answers, but I do feel that a Minimum Wage increase will in fact Ease peoples burdens and Boost the Economy.

The majority of other first world countries have it better than us. I do feel that the Game to get up the SOCIAL ladder is RIGGED. If you look at the Income Wealth Gap you'll see why.

Yes, boost it to at least $10 across the board. I am sure a single person can live on what would likely be $1200/month after taxes, probably $1300. If not, then they work part time on a 2nd job.

My dad worked 3-jobs when I was a kid to pay for the apartment we lived in so my mom could stay home and take care of me, my brother and my sister. Then when we were all old enough to go to school she went to work to ease the burden on him. Now they also own a home. They bought it when I was 15. So they needed almost 2 decades of hard work to earn that, all while trying to provide for 3 children.

Of course they bought it before the housing market soared to bullshit heights. They got a home that is bigger than mine for $130k. I paid $200k for mine, a 3-BR 1-1/2 floor Cape with a finished basement. That basement is my retro room, as seen in my sig.

Latoya in the OP is in a bad spot, but she should have stopped after the 1st child if she didn't have her financials in order.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hoodieninja said:

Yes, boost it to at least $10 across the board. I am sure a single person can live on what would likely be $1200/month after taxes, probably $1300. If not, then they work part time on a 2nd job.

My dad worked 3-jobs when I was a kid to pay for the apartment we lived in so my mom could stay home and take care of me, my brother and my sister. Then when we were all old enough to go to school she went to work to ease the burden on him. Now they also own a home. They bought it when I was 15. So they needed almost 2 decades of hard work to earn that, all while trying to provide for 3 children.

Of course they bought it before the housing market soared to bullshit heights. They got a home that is bigger than mine for $130k. I paid $200k for mine, a 3-BR 1-1/2 floor Cape with a finished basement. That basement is my retro room, as seen in my sig.

Latoya in the OP is in a bad spot, but she should have stopped after the 1st child if she didn't have her financials in order.

Well i'll say this, they're more issues in America to account for, there's more than enough money for those 1% "Job Makers" to provide jobs They have Billions stored with a Total combine of Trillions.

They should also have enough money to Increase Wages to ease the Burden on poorer and HARD working people. Increasing the MINIMUM won't solve EVERYTHING but if done properly can help boost the Economy.