By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - League of Legends is now a college athletic scholarship

Teeqoz said:
RenCutypoison said:

It's the only sport where you mostly train brain, though.

They say brain is like a muscle.

Chess.

If it's a competitive activity that requires training, individuals orn in group, i guess that fits.

Also bowling for americans

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
RenCutypoison said:
outlawauron said:
Yeah, it's a competitive game, but it's not a sport.

Well, there is no scholarship for competitive gaming, that took what was the closest.

I feel like it is a scholarship for competitive gaming, they just are forced to call it an atheletic scholarship because there are no club scholarships at the college level.

Kinda. But it's marketed like sports, and sports make it look more serious (not that it isn't)

Athletics... Yeah right.

RenCutypoison said:
outlawauron said:

I feel like it is a scholarship for competitive gaming, they just are forced to call it an atheletic scholarship because there are no club scholarships at the college level.

Kinda. But it's marketed like sports, and sports make it look more serious (not that it isn't)

It's marketed like sports because of culture. Sports get major air time and they bring in major dollars. It's an effective strategy, and they want people to associate e-sports with big sports.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I thought Scolarships were just for Colleges to get great players of sports so they can compete in the coming season against other Colleges? Who are they competing against?

... sounds stupid. If I were a good LoL player, I'd be earning money before college anyway. Actual sports players usually have to go through the college process to get in them.

Also, sounds king of like a tax thing honestly.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

WHERE THE FUCK WAS THIS ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO?!

Ugh, I'm a pretty good LoL player, I'm sure I could have landed something like this.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

RenCutypoison said:

Well, if you're training muscles, it's kind of real sport, isn't it ?

I don't know... I wouldn't consider it a sport.. :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It's all about money, why are you guys so blind to see this? give scholarship to player, lead to attracting the best players to your school and then just like the ncaa make shit ton of money of those players. chess players don't get athletic scholarships because chess doesn't get 350k viewers per match (LCS american finals that happen last week) watching them on twitch and 50 million unique viewers for world finals.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Ka-pi96 said:
Teeqoz said:

Chess.

Surely that's not counted as a sport as well, right?

It's an official sport along with others that don't fit the "run around and get sweaty" sport definition :P

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
people likes to make fun of gamers, and gamers do it to other gamers cause they dont like the games they play.

ok...

That's no different to life. I like football, my friend doesn't and likes Cycling, both are physical sports and both legitimate at that but he thinks football is for losers. Even within football, you don't like other people's teams. It's all weird but life. It's a form of 'my choice is better than your choice and I have to support my choice.'

Like why this forum/website exists as a whole. We are all here justifying/defending our console (or hobby) of choice.

chapset said:
It's all about money, why are you guys so blind to see this? give scholarship to player, lead to attracting the best players to your school and then just like the ncaa make shit ton of money of those players. chess players don't get athletic scholarships because chess doesn't get 350k viewers per match (LCS american finals that happen last week) watching them on twitch and 50 million unique viewers for world finals.

A shame isn't it? The worlds oldest and greatest game is behind an online game in which players call other players 'noobs'.

Hmm, pie.