By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Region-Locking is an outdated practice and needs to go

Region locking is really dumb, I waited almost a year to buy a black 3ds xl in the US while Japan received like 25 le in the same time period

Around the Network

While it can be done now with multiple accounts i'm certain in our Digital future it will be back.. No way they are going to continue to let it happen that i buy US games for 50 Bucks instead of 50 euro's here. With geolocation its gonna be easy to stop it. Region Locking is the future..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

It sucks big time. The only reason I can tolerate it is because I can't read Japanese so there'll always be a language barrier when it comes to imports...

Still, it must suck for others and I'm seriously reconsidering buying the new one... I want to shout at Iwata instead that these moves do nothing but hurt their already bad reputation.

I agree! Nintendo needs to drop that shit ASAP! I don't like using emulators, but using one of them is how I managed to play and enjoy games like Mother 3..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

VanceIX said:

With the recent news about the New 3DS being region locked (https://games.yahoo.com/news/nintendo-3ds-region-locked-170200180.html), I am yet again perplexed on Nintendo's position on the issue. Their stance makes no sense, especially considering that both Sony and Microsoft have both taken off any and all regional restrictions from their consoles.

What gets me even more is Nintedo's excuse on it. Am I the only one that has no clue what in the world Iwata is trying to say?

"From some people's perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we're selling our products worldwide," Iwata said at the time.

"There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we're required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want."

It's bullshit, and a policy that completely restricts gamers. This and their NNID console locks need to go.  

Agreed with OP. Region locking is the worst pratice after DRM. It needs to go away.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

"There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we're required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want."

At least they really handle the regions differently. That's the reason europe gets 2 Retail releases of Bayonetta instead of 1 like the USA. Bayonetta 1 which is included in the special edition has a higher USK rating than Bayonetta 2. So they did 2 versions to avoid possible Sale-Restrictions of the nonspecial Edition.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/two_separate_bayonetta_2_retail_releases_confirmed_for_europe

However, I still would prefer if Nintendo droped the region-locking ... The DS didn't have it and was the most succesfull handheld ...

Mayby their true next console will be region free. Oh well, so long as their online remains free

WolfpackN64 said:
Mayby their true next console will be region free. Oh well, so long as their online remains free

The keyword here is "maybe"...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Yeah, well fuck you too, Nintendo. Are they either buy me a new 3DS or re-buy my whole 3DS game library when I move out of the NA? Neither... So I have to do that so the game/system isnt a brick when new games come out.. :p

no surprise its a nintendo policy, they havent quite made it to 2010 yet.