By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - As Xbox One Launches in Japan, Akihabara Gamers Really Aren’t Standing in Line

badgenome said:
Now the name Xbox One makes sense. Thank you, Wakai-san.

Dont steal Kaz Hirai joke

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
CDiablo said:
setsunatenshi said:

I agree... the way Xbox has been competing has hardly done any good to the industry. Throwing money at already made/published games with the sole purpose of keeping them from the competition (Tomb Raider recently, Mass Effect 1, Titanfall, etc) does absolutely no good for consumers. Take industry talent and create your own exclusives, games that wouldn't exist otherwise, now that would be a worthwile endeavour and one that could actually justify the continued MS presence in the console gaming space.

So yeah... selling the division off to a possible competitor that has a different approach might be the way to go. I doubt they will close shop during this generation though, they might as well push through and try to recoup some R&D money.

You are probably pissed at Bloodborne, No Mans Sky and Sunset Overdrive as well. Both companies do this.

Bloodborne is made in cooperation between From Software and Sony Japan studios.

No Man's Sky is an indie game made by a team of 3 (i think they are 3 people only, could be 5 though) and they can only work on 1 platform at a time, guess which one they would pick, the one selling record numbers or the one being constantly hated since the E3 2013 debacle?

Sunset Overdrive is the perfect example of the paid exclusive that MS got and would obviously get made regardless.

Counter example would be Bayonetta 2, which the developers mentioned plenty of times that if it wasn't for Nintendo's funding, the game would never be made in the first place.

Im sure Bloodbourne would have gotten made regardless of Sonys involvement. No Mans Sky(Ive heard 4 man team) makes the most sense to release on PC first. So when MS Game Studios in collaberation with EA put out Mass Effect, you have no problem with it.......oh wait, you do.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
setsunatenshi said:

I agree... the way Xbox has been competing has hardly done any good to the industry. Throwing money at already made/published games with the sole purpose of keeping them from the competition (Tomb Raider recently, Mass Effect 1, Titanfall, etc) does absolutely no good for consumers. Take industry talent and create your own exclusives, games that wouldn't exist otherwise, now that would be a worthwile endeavour and one that could actually justify the continued MS presence in the console gaming space.

So yeah... selling the division off to a possible competitor that has a different approach might be the way to go. I doubt they will close shop during this generation though, they might as well push through and try to recoup some R&D money.

You are probably pissed at Bloodborne, No Mans Sky and Sunset Overdrive as well. Both companies do this.

I'm sure if Sony had bought No Man's Sky with money it would only come to Playstation. In my opinion the game releases first on PS4, because Sony let the guy from Hello Games talk at their big conferences at GDC and E3 (and that was very very effective marketing), not because of money.

CDiablo said:
setsunatenshi said:
CDiablo said:
setsunatenshi said:

Bloodborne is made in cooperation between From Software and Sony Japan studios.

No Man's Sky is an indie game made by a team of 3 (i think they are 3 people only, could be 5 though) and they can only work on 1 platform at a time, guess which one they would pick, the one selling record numbers or the one being constantly hated since the E3 2013 debacle?

Sunset Overdrive is the perfect example of the paid exclusive that MS got and would obviously get made regardless.

Counter example would be Bayonetta 2, which the developers mentioned plenty of times that if it wasn't for Nintendo's funding, the game would never be made in the first place.

Im sure Bloodbourne would have gotten made regardless of Sonys involvement. No Mans Sky(Ive heard 4 man team) makes the most sense to release on PC first. So when MS Game Studios in collaberation with EA put out Mass Effect, you have no problem with it.......oh wait, you do.

i'll bite...

- Bloodborne, much like Demon's Souls was a cooperative effort between From Software and Sony Japan, the IP was owned by Sony. From Software took the success from Demon's Souls and created Dark Souls 1 and 2, a cult favourite whose IP they own. During the team has expanded but not enough that they could handle the simultaneous development of 2 AAA games. So unless you have some information that I don't have, it seems obvious why Miyazaki would take the help from Japan Studio to try and create a new IP, hedging the risks and still maintaining support on Dark Souls (2 expansions have come out in the meantime already).

So yeah... If there's no Japan Studios, the game does not get made. Same reason why Demon's Souls was made in the first place, small developer From Software co-developed with Japan Studios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

- Regarding No Man's Sky, the game is apparently planed to release on PC at a later date, again, small development team has to focus on 1 machine at a time. Why would they chose PS4 rather than PC first? Well... why would Dark Souls 1 and 2 also release on consoles about a month before PC? Why did Batman release on consoles before PC? Hmmmm........ maybe because developers tend to see a higher RoI on console games than on PC games? Maybe there are nearly 0 concerns with piracy on PS4? Maybe they got to be on stage at E3 getting all that free publicity from Sony instead of doing a stealth release on Steam?

As far as I know their studio remains independent and will release the game on other platforms. It seems like the more open approach from Sony this generation has courted MANY indy studios, not just Hello Games. Or are you saying Sony is moneyhatting that exclusivity? If so, please show me such evidence.

- Finally regarding Mass Effect I can concede the fact that Microsoft did actually fork the money to publish the game from Bioware, but had no say as a developer. I can offer no counterproof that another publisher would come forward to publish the first game because it would only be speculation. The only thing I can point out is that they were a mainly PC game develpment studio (the guys who made KOTOR and Baldur's Gate) so it would be pretty likely they would find a publisher relatively easily. All this before being acquired by EA of course.

So that's my take on those 3 examples you selected.

Report from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/xbox-one-console-has-dismal-730097

Xbox One Console Has Dismal Launch in Japan

Xbox Ones are not flying off the shelves in Japan
Lines of excited buyers conspicuous by their absence

The Xbox One launched in Japan on Thursday with next to no fanfare, and one store in Tokyo reporting that they hadn't sold a single console by late afternoon.

Some electronics and game stores in central Tokyo had put out signs at midnight last night telling non-existent customers where to line up for their Xbox Ones. Other outlets, with lower but more realistic expectations, had not gone to the trouble of opening early.

"Honestly speaking, we haven't sold a single Xbox yet today. The Xbox has never been a big-seller, but we would expect a few customers on the release day," a sales assistant at a Tokyo electronics store who asked for it not to be identified, told The Hollywood Reporter.

At Yodobashi Camera in Yurakucho, a single customer waiting to buy the Xbox One when the store opened was reported to be outnumbered by a group of journalists there to cover the launch.

Microsoft has always struggled in the backyard of game rivals Sony and Nintendo, but did shift more than 1.5 million Xbox 360s in Japan. It looks unlikely to match that performance with its new console, which is being outsold by Sony's PlayStation 4 (PS4) two-to-one globally. The PS4 has beaten Sony's sales forecasts, pushing its gaming division back into the black even as the company continues to struggle overall.

Xbox One is on sale in Japan for $381 (¥39,980) for the basic package, and $476 (¥49,980) with the Kinect sensor needed for many games. By comparison, the PS4 is around $380, ready to play.

One reason for the Microsoft system's woes in Japan is the taste of local gamers, who tend toward role-playing type games rather than the shoot-em-ups that the Xbox has been known for.

Tokyo Game Show, one of the largest events of its kind in the world, runs from Sept. 18 to 22. Microsoft has traditionally had a big presence at the show, despite its poor sales in Japan.

Famitsu loves the X1 haha

Im pretty sure if someone wanted the X1 in Japan the PreTGS Show from Sony changed their mind pretty fast.
BTW - Other TIer 2 countries will exactly be the same.

Around the Network

I'm surprised.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

setsunatenshi said:

- Regarding No Man's Sky, the game is apparently planed to release on PC at a later date, again, small development team has to focus on 1 machine at a time. Why would they chose PS4 rather than PC first? Well... why would Dark Souls 1 and 2 also release on consoles about a month before PC? Why did Batman release on consoles before PC? Hmmmm........ maybe because developers tend to see a higher RoI on console games than on PC games? Maybe there are nearly 0 concerns with piracy on PS4? Maybe they got to be on stage at E3 getting all that free publicity from Sony instead of doing a stealth release on Steam?

As far as I know their studio remains independent and will release the game on other platforms. It seems like the more open approach from Sony this generation has courted MANY indy studios, not just Hello Games. Or are you saying Sony is moneyhatting that exclusivity? If so, please show me such evidence.

I don't think Sony moneyhatted it in the same sense that Microsoft outrighted bought timed exclusivity of Tomb Raider, but I do think the PS4 getting priority over PC has a lot to do with Sony helping Hello Games out after their office got flooded.

setsunatenshi said:

Good response. I still dont agree about Bloodborne, they are literally losing out on the ballpark of a million+ extra sales by not making it mulitplat. FROM should not have much issue handling DLC and a main game, as they have been working on and releasing multiple games all of last gen. Bloodborne would have gotten made with or without Sony maybe not for Feburary but sometime in 2015-2016.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:

Good response. I still dont agree about Bloodborne, they are literally losing out on the ballpark of a million+ extra sales by not making it mulitplat. FROM should not have much issue handling DLC and a main game, as they have been working on and releasing multiple games all of last gen. Bloodborne would have gotten made with or without Sony maybe not for Feburary but sometime in 2015-2016.

That's assuming too much. Bloodborne may very well have been born (har har) from Sony approaching Miyazaki about working together again after the cult success of Demon's Souls rather than from him shopping around a game idea to various publishers. Besides, it's pretty clear where the Souls fanbase is. Demon's Souls alone sold more than Dark Souls 360, Dark Souls PC, and Dark Souls II 360 combined, and of course, Dark Souls PS3 sold even more than that.

It also tends to be the case that first party publishing deals allow for more creative freedom and ambition. Where third party publishers are all about maximizing profit, period, first parties are more likely to accept a game being something of a vanity project that will enhance the appeal of their console. That's why they've picked the game up in the first place. A Bloodborne published by Namco or Sunset Overdrive published by EA may be a different game entirely by the time the suits got done chipping away at it.

I dont think they are losing sales with bloodborne, at the opposite, marketed as an exclusive, being one of the first big games one PS4, it could sell much more than any other version.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m