By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo 64 turns 18 this year and here are the games that made it excellent

spurgeonryan said:
daredevil.shark said:
Banjo kajooie was better than super mario 64.

Agreed. I have put close to a thousand hours into that game. Maybe 30 into mario. Both fun though.

If my memory is not deceiving me the I can recall stages of banjoo kajooie were much bigger than super mario 64. It had an adventure vibe. And the intro music was funny.

Around the Network

I followed the N64 from its very first announcement, I remember reading the deal Hiroshi Yamauchi had made with Silicon Graphics in October of 1993 (IIRC).

Never been so excited for a game console ever. N64 was like the first super hyped console launch.

Best console ever!!! If you love platformers specifically n64 platformers get "Rocket:robot on wheel" amazing game some of the tightest control and some tricky puzzles.

spurgeonryan said:
daredevil.shark said:
Banjo kajooie was better than super mario 64.

Agreed. I have put close to a thousand hours into that game. Maybe 30 into mario. Both fun though.

Both of them are awesome game, so I can't really choose myself..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It is funny how when you experience a system your view of it. For me the Nintendo 64 marked the decline of Nintendo in home consoles. I remember in school being rare person who owned one as opposed to the Sony PlayStation (I won a PS1 later on). It had its moments of Nintendo brilliance and then months of nothing. I just remember waiting a lot, especially for games like Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time and Donkey Kong 64. Also that Mario 64 is the only mainline Mario I did not enjoy this was the era of no Mario games. Add in the fact the games were routinely $20-30 more than competitors and made it a hard system to defend. The straw that broke me was the JRPGs scene being so barren on N64 while PS1 seemingly had one coming out every couple months.

Looking back on the whole catalog and removing cost from the mix it looks nice, but at the time it was a massive come down from the SNES (my favorite Nintendo system).

Around the Network

Besides the obvious already mentioned, Space Station Silicon Valley.

Carpe diem!

amp316 said:
I didn't think that it was a great game, but Shadows of the Empire was a blast to play.

Turok should probably be on the list I think.

I agree! So sad this game is becoming forgotten by so many.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I'd love to be able to say I'm Mitchell Toy from the Department of internet, lol.

Perhaps it's because I'm 32, but I don't seem to remember the N64 nearly as fondly as many of you.

The SNES will remain my favorite console of all time!

Spent so much time waiting for Earthbound 64 for it to only be canceled :/

Was a fun console, remember playing games like Pokemon Stadium 1&2, Pokemon Snap, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Golden Eye, Zelda, Space Station Silicon Valley, and Conker's bad fur day to name a few.