By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are people predicting massive MGS4 numbers?

Isn't this the game that had a factor in many people buying a PS3? I know that this game is one BIG reason that I have a PS3.

Heck, I think this game already has some huge hype behind it from the people who know about it. . . 'MGS4 to 360' anybody?

Around the Network

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MGS4 bundle is the first with DualShock 3, right?

SlumsofOhio said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the MGS4 bundle is the first with DualShock 3, right?

I believe so, that's a nice little gift to those who are grabbing it lol.

While I like how light the Sixaxis is, the traingle button feels like it sticks and it keeps cutting out in games (Warhawk more notably). So I hope that the Dualshock 3 will actually work how it should and doesn't feel cheap.

Since the game is going to be bundled with PS3s it has a good chance of breaking the 3 million ceiling that no other PS3 game has ever managed to reach bundled or otherwise.

I think Gears of War is a good barometer for MGS4. I suspect MGS will end (not counting if it gets bundled later in life) with 4-5m in sales and be pretty close to the first GeoW. It will do very well (unless the game completely sucks ass) and will boost hardware a decent amount for the PS3, though it will never touch the massive numbers of the original MGS, or even MGS2 for that matter.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

It will sell over 1M first week, at least 4M by the end of the year and 5-6M lifetime sales at least.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Bodhesatva said:

I definitely don't think it's crazy to suggest that MGS4 will beat MGS3. Halo 3 it isn't, but I think we coudl see something akin to DMC4/DMC3:

MGS4 is more heavily advertised, bundled with the system, and is one of fewer major games. MGS3 was less well advertised, was not bundled, and was one in a sea of major PS2 exclusives.

Therefore, I think it's possible that despite the lower user base, MGS4 may match or even surpass MGS3, and could hit 5 million sold.

Not saying that's a definite, by any means, just isn't outside the realm of possibility, either.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say it'll sell much better than we expect it too, simply on hype, packin, and lack of other games on the PS3.

I think the historical numbers won't accurately reflect the hit MGS4 will be.

That said, we're gonna get a LOT of people who hate the game on these forums, because they bought it off hype, and the game is largely niche.

I, personally love the games, and don't really care how well it sells, but I do believe it will sell better than 3, simply because of hype, packin, and lack of other quality games.

People said Uncharted was a flop and is now 1.25m and this game is bundled, It'll sell depending how long the bundle will be available.

@ HappySquirel

Ratchet was never bundled. Motorstorm and Resistance were bundled, but Resistance for 3 months in Europe and now the Motorstorm pack in US is being discontinued.

And Ratchet will likely outsell Deadlocked.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

rocketpig said:
I think Gears of War is a good barometer for MGS4. I suspect MGS will end (not counting if it gets bundled later in life) with 4-5m in sales and be pretty close to the first GeoW. It will do very well (unless the game completely sucks ass) and will boost hardware a decent amount for the PS3, though it will never touch the massive numbers of the original MGS, or even MGS2 for that matter.

Pretty much the way I look at it.  I think it will pass MGS3 in sales because the first installment per generation usually sells a ton of copies, especially if the game is "truly next-gen".  From what we have seen from gameplay vids the entire game has been revamped, which I think really adds some hype to the game, and makes it feel like a must-own title to those who have seen it.  If the demo is anywhere as good as the gameplay we saw from Leizpig it will increase sales even more.

4-5 million in sales is my best estimate.  It remains to be seen how many consoles it will help push, but the bundle is a good start. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I don't think anybody can really accurately predict right now how MGS4 will really sell because it's in a unique position.

Here are the factors that the game would sell well:

(a)Right now MGS4 is one of, if not THE, most hyped games for the PS3 right now.

(b)It's been in development for a very long time and a lot of people are dieing to play the game.

( c )It is also the first game of its series to be on the PS3 and it is not going to be overshadowed by other games, unlike MGS3. So, one would think with all of these factors that the game would sell well.

However, there are also many factors that the game would not sell that well:

(a) It's a sequel. Not only it is a sequel, it's a sequel that requires you to know what happened in the previous games, or you are going to be extremely lost. This ain't Madden. This is MGS.

(b) It is on a console that isn't doing well. For a long time, the Metal Gear Solid Series started and was always on the Playstation consoles. I know the name Metal Gear were on the Nintendo consoles but the MGS were on Sony platforms. Anyways, they have always been on consoles that had a momentum of success. The PS1 had a sense of being favored by the public, MGS1 was in it and BAM! Instant success. MGS2, though considered one of the games that may have been overhyped, was an instant success because it was on the PS2, the platform that succeeded the PS1. MGS4, however, is on a console that overall is not doing so well. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't a game that can move consoles. It may move a few hundred thousand more in the first month but once that happens, not many more new gamers are going to get the game. Those who have the console will mostly get the game and thats about it

This isn't to say that it isn't going to sell. I may be a Wii60 owner, but my first console of choice this whole time was going to be the PS3....until I heard about the price, and I decided to try Nintendo just one more time (was a N64 and Gamecube owner...yeah, hence why I bought a PS2 as well and was going for the PS3). I myself may be going for the bundle and MGS4 could be the most successful PS3 game to date recently....however, what does that really mean overall? Would it be its quickest million-unit seller? Does that really mean much at all? I don't know and quite frankly, I don't think it matters. What matters is that MGS4 is coming late 2nd quarter of this year, and those who are strong enough of a fan for MGS games will get the game...even if it means many will get a PS3 just for the game. I just highly doubt that newcomers will get into the series, and that many of the 11 million owners of the PS3 may really not be interested in MGS4...or might lose interest in the story once they realize just how confusing it really is.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)