By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are people predicting massive MGS4 numbers?

You're talking about a bundled game here. That alone will push it sky high. If you don't believe me, look at what being bundled has done for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Forza Motorsport, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Motorstorm. You can expect a reasonable 3 million based off it being Metal Gear Solid 4 and the rest will come with new PS3 adopters who will be getting it whether they want to or not with an 80 GB PS3 in both America and Japan and possibly Europe.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

I definitely don't think it's crazy to suggest that MGS4 will beat MGS3. Halo 3 it isn't, but I think we coudl see something akin to DMC4/DMC3:

MGS4 is more heavily advertised, bundled with the system, and is one of fewer major games. MGS3 was less well advertised, was not bundled, and was one in a sea of major PS2 exclusives.

Therefore, I think it's possible that despite the lower user base, MGS4 may match or even surpass MGS3, and could hit 5 million sold.

Not saying that's a definite, by any means, just isn't outside the realm of possibility, either.

Also, MGS4 has the next-gen "WOW" factor, much like DMC4, that MGS3 and DMC3 (and GT4, and Tekken 5, etc.) did not.

MGS3, DMC3, GT4, Tekken 5, etc. all sold worse than their immediate predecessors, often despite being much better games (like Tekken 5 vs Tekken 4).   Updated graphics, as well as other new features, can really push people to get back into a series.

This is the reason why I haven't bought a Dynasty Warriors game since DW3, yet I'm planning on picking up DW6.  It has more than just negligible improvements over it's predecessors, and it's enough to warrant a purchase. 

Well for a lot of people (atleast talking to a lot of my friends), none of them even played any of the Metal Gear Solid series, nor even heard about it...but they see trailers and screenshots of this game now, and they are goign crazy about it... so this game is bringing in a ton of new people to MGS

I'm just going off what Ive seen personally

Bundle=Massive sales :)

Well PS2's 120 mil userbase is current, not when MGS3 came out. It would've been less. but thats besides the point. It'll sell well cause its a very well known game. I'd say 2.5-3 million in first 6 months.

Around the Network

The hype-train she rolls.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

@onyxmeth

take out forza and marvel a.s.a.p.! Those 2 didn't push 360 sales far! Those 2 are crap!

Motorstorm did well.

@aj

take a damn chill pill! You don't have to act like an ass!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
daactualfact said:
@onyxmeth

take out forza and marvel a.s.a.p.! Those 2 didn't push 360 sales far! Those 2 are crap!

Motorstorm did well.

@aj

take a damn chill pill! You don't have to act like an ass!

See the all the !!! on your posts and none on mine? Yup, maybe you should take your own advice.

@ daactualfact

ps2 was @ 16 mil @ mgs2 launch. stop talking out of your actual ass and speak truth.

mgs4 will do 5 mil.

Ba dum dum dum. So, as explained most expectations are 4-6 mil and are completely rational.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.