By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are people predicting massive MGS4 numbers?

I don't get it. The best selling one, MGS2, sold 5 million on a userbase of 120 million. The PS3's userbase by the time it comes out we be around like what 15 million? I just don't see it getting 5 million so fast. Maybe in mid to late 2009?

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

Basically, people are predicting that it will sell well, because it's the last shot that any PS3 fan has of justifying their system of choice(or choice of systems) to the world.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

same thing i was thinking, i bet it wont sell as fast as DMC 4

You think MGS 2 launched on a userbase that high? It was released like a year into the systems life.

Plus, you have to count Sustinence sales and take into account the series has been undertracked because of no Other sales.

Around the Network

Umm, I don't believe the PS2 userbase was 120 million whenever MGS 2 came out. It has a very hardcore fanbase and the game has lots of hype. I'm expecting 4.25 mil WW lifetime for it personally.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

i still want to get this MGS 4 when i get a ps3

@aj

the ps2 userbase was high at the time. higher than wii's right now.

You can't deny that fact. The Ps3's userbase is low.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

I don't really understand either ...

Since the PS3 launched (pretty much) every game has sold far below these Sony fans' expectations, and most games have sold to a small fraction of the rate they sold on the PS2, and yet we see posts every day which expect upcomming games to outsell their PS2 counterparts.

I definitely don't think it's crazy to suggest that MGS4 will beat MGS3. Halo 3 it isn't, but I think we coudl see something akin to DMC4/DMC3:

MGS4 is more heavily advertised, bundled with the system, and is one of fewer major games. MGS3 was less well advertised, was not bundled, and was one in a sea of major PS2 exclusives.

Therefore, I think it's possible that despite the lower user base, MGS4 may match or even surpass MGS3, and could hit 5 million sold.

Not saying that's a definite, by any means, just isn't outside the realm of possibility, either.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">