By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should I buy the Wii ver. of Xenoblade or wait for the N3DS ver.?

AZWification said:

If yo uare Ok with inferior visuals and frame-rate then you can go with the 3DS version! The problem is that the Wii version is also hard to find... :S

Do we know the Frame rate yet? 

But yeah, its weird. I find more PAL versions of the game than NA versions here XD is the Wii region locked? Im sure it is. Strange that Ive only ever seen 1 copy of NA Xenoblade here yet Ive found at least 8 PAL versions here on the west coast :P

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
AZWification said:

If yo uare Ok with inferior visuals and frame-rate then you can go with the 3DS version! The problem is that the Wii version is also hard to find... :S

But yeah, its weird. I find more PAL versions of the game than NA versions here XD is the Wii region locked? Im sure it is. Strange that Ive only ever seen 1 copy of NA Xenoblade here yet Ive found at least 8 PAL versions here on the west coast :P

Nope, but I've seen most people say that it seems to be worse than the Wii version's frame-rate! :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
StarOcean said:
AZWification said:

Nope, but I've seen most people say that it seems to be worse than the Wii version's frame-rate! :S

Wii version had Fr problems? o.o

StarOcean said:
AZWification said:

Not really.. It was locked at 30fps if I'm not mistaken!

AZWification said:
StarOcean said:
AZWification said:

Oh 30FPS isnt too bad. I've played DQ8 on my iPhone and it regularly sits at 15FPS and sometimes lower... XD I can handle 30! :p

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
VanceIX said:
Wii version is far superior, but is much more expensive and harder to find. Honestly, if you don't mind spending the extra $s, go for the Wii version.

I am wondering though, do you think the N3DS version will be shortened because of its size? I mean, if things are going to be taken out because of the size of the game I may as well just get the Wii version

It probably won't be shortened (3DS carts can go to be as big as 8GB, the original was around 7.6GB if I remember correctly), but the 3DS, new processor or not, simply can't handle smoothly the power needed to run the Wii version. Due to that, you can bet that they will cut corners with textures, effects, AA, etc to get the game running smoothly. Also, doubtlessly the game will run in to some frame-rate drops during intensive combat scenes.

What the 3DS version has going for it is the cost factor. The game will be cheap and widely available. The Wii version is much more expensive, even though it is the superior version. If yo want the best/"definitive" version the Wii is the only choice. If you don't want to pay a crap ton, the 3DS is the better choice.

If I had the money, I would personally go for the Wii version. It's a game that (imo) was meant to be played on a bigger display to truly appreciate the epic environments. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
StarOcean said:
VanceIX said:
Wii version is far superior, but is much more expensive and harder to find. Honestly, if you don't mind spending the extra $s, go for the Wii version.

I am wondering though, do you think the N3DS version will be shortened because of its size? I mean, if things are going to be taken out because of the size of the game I may as well just get the Wii version

It probably won't be shortened (3DS carts can go to be as big as 8GB, the original was around 7.6GB if I remember correctly), but the 3DS, new processor or not, simply can't handle smoothly the power needed to run the Wii version. Due to that, you can bet that they will cut corners with textures, effects, AA, etc to get the game running smoothly. Also, doubtlessly the game will run in to some frame-rate drops during intensive combat scenes.

What the 3DS version has going for it is the cost factor. The game will be cheap and widely available. The Wii version is much more expensive, even though it is the superior version. If yo want the best/"definitive" version the Wii is the only choice. If you don't want to pay a crap ton, the 3DS is the better choice.

If I had the money, I would personally go for the Wii version. It's a game that (imo) was meant to be played on a bigger display to truly appreciate the epic environments. 

Alright I see. I'll think about it. If I get a good deal for the Wii version I'll get that one for sure

StarOcean said:
AZWification said:

Oh 30FPS isnt too bad. I've played DQ8 on my iPhone and it regularly sits at 15FPS and sometimes lower... XD I can handle 30! :p

Well, if you can handle 15FPS then you can go with the 3DS version since it'll be  easier to find!

Remember that this game will be one where you may end up spending 70-130 hours on. So do you want the ease of portability that will allow you play it more flexibly or the larger screen that may be a bit easier on the eyes.

Also if you have a decent PC you could always rip the disk and play it in a higher resolution if you buy the Wii version.

That depends on what you value:

-Graphics? The Wii version still looks better. However, you might have lower standards for handheld graphics than for console (especially if you don't own a Vita). Alternatively, you might not care much.

-Stability? Too early to say. The Wii version has some framerate issues, but those will probably persist or worsen on New 3DS. But maybe they'll surprise us.

-Portability? Obviously, only the New 3DS version offers this.

-Price? Well, the New 3DS version will probably cost you a bit less ($40) than the Wii version, which typically costs $50 at a minimum. However, the New 3DS version requires buying a new device... So factor in that cost if you weren't going to get a New 3DS anyway.

-The Dolphin factor? If you hook your Wii up to your PC and use the Dolphin emulator, you can get the best graphics/stability by far.