By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After the Wii U disaster, will you buy Nintendo's next console?

Teeqoz said:
johnsobas said:
Teeqoz said:
etking said:
If it is the Nintendo Playstation 5 (after buying Sony), I woud buy it.

Yeah...... because Nintendo can totally afford buying Sony....

OT: If they get a proper account system, and achievements then yes! (I might buy it anyways, but this would certainly help.)

they can afford to buy half of Sony to get control by just using the cash they have on hand.  If Sony wanted to buy anything they'd have to borrow the money.

Nintendo has 5,34 BN in cash reserves, Sonys market cap (value of all shares in total) is 20,15 BN so no, Nintendo can't afford buying half of Sonys shares, even if they spent ALL of their cash on it. Sony on the other hand has 8,08 BN cash reserves (not to mention the 148,93 BN worths of assets theyhave) while Nintendos market cap is only 16,62 BN  so in fact Sony is much closer to afford buying Nintendo than Nintendo is close to buying Sony. This also ignores that both companie currently have something called a buyout defense in place which avoids them being bought out buy anyone.

It helps to check facts before you post stuff like that.

Nintendo has 10.5 billion dollars in cash reserves and 0 debt.  You could say Sony has a cash reserve but their debt is bigger than their cash reserve anyway. Sony's stock is selling below the book value and their debt has junk status.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
Teeqoz said:

Nintendo has 5,34 BN in cash reserves, Sonys market cap (value of all shares in total) is 20,15 BN so no, Nintendo can't afford buying half of Sonys shares, even if they spent ALL of their cash on it. Sony on the other hand has 8,08 BN cash reserves (not to mention the 148,93 BN worths of assets theyhave) while Nintendos market cap is only 16,62 BN  so in fact Sony is much closer to afford buying Nintendo than Nintendo is close to buying Sony. This also ignores that both companie currently have something called a buyout defense in place which avoids them being bought out buy anyone.

Nintendo has 10.5 billion dollars in cash reserves and 0 debt.  You could say Sony has a cash reserve but their debt is bigger than their cash reserve anyway. Sony's stock is selling below the book value and their debt has junk status.

http://www.forbes.com/companies/nintendo/

Nintendo doesn't have 10,5 BN in cash reserves. They have 5,34. And as I mentioned Sony has 148 BN dollars in assets VS Nintendos 15,1 BN dollars in assets.

Gamecube was the last Nintendo console I will ever own.

Doubt I'd buy the next Nintendo console but I wont rule it out if they actually fix everything I have a problem with in their previous consoles.

Teeqoz said:
johnsobas said:
Teeqoz said:

Nintendo doesn't have 10,5 BN in cash reserves. They have 5,34. And as I mentioned Sony has 148 BN dollars in assets VS Nintendos 15,1 BN dollars in assets.

you're right, it's 5.34 in "cash on hand."  A quick search will show you a dozen articles on the $10.5  billion "cash reserve" number, which i guess includes other liquid investments besides cash.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

I will buy the next generation console which gives me the next Metroid game.

But I have to say I am not sure if I will buy my nest console at launch. I think I would analyse the general situation before I decide. But with a PC for multiplatform titles I would prefer a Nintendo console because of the exclusives.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

johnsobas said:
Teeqoz said:

you're right, it's 5.34 in "cash on hand."  A quick search will show you a dozen articles on the $10.5  billion "cash reserve" number, which i guess includes other liquid investments besides cash.

Total cash reserves are at ~8,1 trillion Yen, which is 7,7 billion dollars. It's more than than their cash on hand, but much lower than the 10,5 billion cash reserves that you claim they have. And you can also look at how that has decreased in the last years.

Book value per share 9,209.11
Tangible book value per share 9,105.83

Balance sheet in JPY

I don't see it as a disaster, not like the Phillips CDI thing, for sure. I thin at the end of the day, the fall from grace is good, as it makes Nintendo realize they need to put out more first party content. We never saw a Star Fox on the Wii, because Nintendo didn't feel pressured for games on the Wii. So I don't think its a failure.

As for the next console, it's going to come down to 1 simple thing - a Zelda game that isn't cell shaded. Had I known that Zelda was going to be cell shaded, I'd have probably not gotten a Wii U. Granted, I got a Wii U as a surprise gift from my wife last year.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

mmh.. i don't know if you want me to answer, because i don't have Wii U. 
However.. i'll buy a Wii U soon or later and probably i'll buy some next gen consoles in the future.. 
I don't usually buy consoles on the first year relase, i prefer to attend cheaper price and better games.
I'm not so enthusiast of this gen but now the price of Wii U is very low and has some good games, so i'll buy it :)

I'm here also to improve my english, so tell me if you notice some errors.

Yes, I will be buying Nintendo's next console. As long as it is the only place to buy Nintendo games, I will have to buy it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)