By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After the Wii U disaster, will you buy Nintendo's next console?

Angelv577 said:
How can people decide to buy something they don't know anything about it. I can't make that decision now. For all we know, it could be worse than Wii U.

Because they know it will carry the IPs they want. We know it's going to get another Monolith Soft, Zelda, Metriod, Mario, and Smash game. Then we also get some of the smaller franchises like Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and whatever games they decide to produce but pay others to make (2nd party games). It'd be even better if Nintendo would get their heads out of their asses and realise we want Fatal Frame as well.

For myself, I KNOW for an absolute fact I will be getting the next Nintendo system, I love their games.

Around the Network

Disaster, lol.

I bought every Nintendo console released, but now I'm done with it after what they have done with Wii U. I will not purchase the next Nintendo console unless it is actually in the same league as the next Playstation and Xbox. As in, our phones and tablets better not be rivaling the amount of memory the Nintendo systems offers... Jeez. I am also a Nintendo fan that basically is forced to move on becasue I like playing 3rd Party games too.  

Egann said:
Part of the issue no one is talking about is how much the market has changed in the last generation. Games now take years to develop, and this has forced gamers to become patient. With patience comes time to think and better decisions as a whole. Gamers are not only willing to not buy that shiny new console out the gate, but they're willing to wait a year just to see if it is a good idea. I know I am.

Now compare that to the last few generations and you'll see the difference. Last generation had three consoles which ran on hype and therefore sold respectably. This generation the Wii U and XBox One faceplanted out the gate while the PS4 exploded.

The difference between the three consoles is not actually that big. 90%+ of the titles for the PS4 will wind up available for the X1, and Nintendo has its own exclusives. The difference is that more gamers this go-round were paying attention to the differences and thought more about what they were doing. As a natural result, more of them agreed on what the correct answer was.

I'm still not sure what I will do for next gen; I will likely make that decision up when we get there. But I'm not calling the Wii U done, yet. When Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash, and Zelda U are all out and the Wii U is still selling 50K a week? That's when to call it toast.

The X1, however...it's not toast (yet) but it is much closer than the Wii U because it is in such direct competition with the PS4. The Wii U can do its own thing, but the X1 consistently losing NA to the PS4 is shaping into a death sentence for the X1.

I love how you can say that choosing one console is a correct with a straight face. It's so cute :) 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

I waited over a year before getting a Wii U, and will most likely to do the same again regardless of which next-gen console it is. For me (and my family) it is the games that drive our choice of console. Right now, what Nintendo has to offer is the best fit for our gaming requirements. In the future it may still be Nintendo, or it may be something different. Our choice will have nothing to do with how successful the Wii U has been.

Around the Network

Wii U disaster?

I'm loving this gen. Best console I've owned since the Gamecube.

Obviously ignoring PC.

I'll be all over it. A 3D Mario, a 3D Zelda, Smash Bros and Mario Kart are all I ask, and so far they seem set to deliver stellar titles on all those fronts. Additional titles such as Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, the inevitable Fatal Frame localisation, Xenoblade, Nintendoland, Fire-Emblem X Shin-Megami-Tensei, the masterful upgrade of my favorite game of all time (Wind Waker), the sequel to possibly my favourite title on the original DS (Kirby Rainbow Canvas), Splatoon... sorry lost my train of thought.

Basically - Wii-U hasn't under-delivered in the slightest for me because I have precise expectations which are easily surpassed and already have been.

if it has xenoblade 3, a zelda, and other, and if they keep the nintendo quality, yes i will buy it, no matter if it peform even worst than wii U saleswise.

ZyroXZ2 said:
Jon-Erich said:

I don't think the Dreamcast was a disaster. As I said in other posts, Sega Saturn killed Sega's hardware business, not Dreamcast. It was too late for Dreamcast to do anything about. In fact, Sega had actually planned to leave the hardware business after the Dreamcast. The only reason Dreamcast saw the light of day at all was so Sega could restore it's reputation amongst consumers, which given that they were such a brand-driven company back then, it was actually a smart move.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call Wii U a disaster. Unless it starts doing as badly as the Sega Saturn (with both sales and finances), then it's more like an underperforming console. It's true that Virtual Boy was a disaster, but that was a disaster that wasn't too much of a financial burden and since it was seen as being less important than the Game Boy or N64, it could be killed of and buried rather quickly. 

That being said, hell yeah I would buy the next Nintendo console. Wii U without a doubt has the single best software lineup of any 8th gen consoles far and given what's coming out next year, it looks like it'll be that way for some time. If this is what an underperforming Nintendo console will give us, then I would rather them not have the #1 console anymore.

I can agree that the Sega Saturn was the first nail in the coffin, but the Dreamcast shouldn't have seen the light of day, not in that situation.  It was too big of a risk to try and bank on that last system being any sort of savior (which I think is what they were hoping; no company releases a system for the sake of "consumers" knowing it will put them nearly out of business).

If Sega were an American company (and I mean a real American company, not a company founded by Americans somewhere else), they probably would have gotten out of the hardware business after the Saturn. The Japanese tend to have a sense of corporate honor, meaning that when a company does as bad as Sega did, they feel the need to save face. If they were going to leave the hardware business, then it was going to be on a high note. While Sega wasn't expecting Dreamcast to keep them in the hardware business for the long term future, they were hoping that they might actually make some actual money from it. While Sega never profited from Dreamcast, they certainly did go out on a high note. Dreamcast owners still regard the console as one of the best ever, and unlike the situation with the Saturn where Sega's whole fanbase and the industry in general were pissed of at them, Dreamcast died with the total opposite reaction.

I think Dreamcast actual helped improve Sega's brand amongst consumers. While this iis totally meaningless nowadays since Sega is no longer a brand-diven company thanks to Sammy, it certainly helped them out in the early 2000's. Think of it this way. How many people will honestly buy a game made by Atari because Atari made it? Almost nobody. This is because Atari gave nobody anything to remember about them when they left the hardware business for good. They just left and became irrelevent no matter how good or bad their games were.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

bigtakilla said:
Angelv577 said:
How can people decide to buy something they don't know anything about it. I can't make that decision now. For all we know, it could be worse than Wii U.

Because they know it will carry the IPs they want. We know it's going to get another Monolith Soft, Zelda, Metriod, Mario, and Smash game. Then we also get some of the smaller franchises like Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and whatever games they decide to produce but pay others to make (2nd party games). It'd be even better if Nintendo would get their heads out of their asses and realise we want Fatal Frame as well.

For myself, I KNOW for an absolute fact I will be getting the next Nintendo system, I love their games.

Well, we can conclude nintendo fans will always buy their next nintendo console but Wii U is label as a "disaster" not because of nintendo fans but for the rest of the players who don't find Wii U attractive enough to buy it based on current sales.  Those are the consumers nintendo as a company need to attract and I'm one of them so I can't decide to buy their next console now if the Nintendo games aren't enough.