By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - White PS4 Destiny Bundle - #28 on Amazon.com Bestsellers of 2014

How the hell is Destiny still climbing the charts and what does it mean for this weeks sales? Another huge sales week for the PS4? Obviously it's not going to top 472k but it could still be in the region of 300k (IMO).

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Aerys said:
When you see 360 Titanfall sales ( http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72892/titanfall/ ), PS4 +Destiny have to be undertracked by at least 100k, and the second week will be between 150-200k

I predict 600-700k npd

No way. Amazon isn't that reliable when it comes to hard sales figures, and do you seriously expect the PS4 with Destiny to do better in the US than the Xbox 360 did when Halo 3 launched (~570k iirc).

Very interesting.  I say its possible,  And Amazon nailed March.  But lets look at the data:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_September_2007

Xbox 360 - 527,800 - September 2007

Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Microsoft) - 3.3 million. - September 2007

Release Date:  September 26, 2007

According to VG Chartz, the PS4  is about 321k off of this with three weeks left to go. So it has to average 107k for each remaing week. 

Teeqoz said:
Aerys said:

Well Amazon is pretty reliable since the beginning of the generation, ok not so much on software but on hardware, they were never wrong. So i think it's safe to say PS4 is undertracked by a good amount

Yes, why not, it's very likely, 360 sold only 123k in the US during Halo 3 FW, then 130k second week, then 130k, then 110k ( but it was mostly october month so more releases to help) based on VGC

Yeah, it's not reliable for software, yet you're using it to say that it outsold Titanfall on 360 (which is, you know, software).

No, it's not likely at all, the 360 was dominating the US far more than the PS4 is now, and it got it's probably most notable exclusive of the gen, in the market were Halo is the very strongest, yet it didn't sell more than 528k (NPD), but you expect the PS4 to beat by 70-170k? Really?

Back in 2007? 360 was most definitely not dominating back then. It was getting trampled on by the Wii, and that was with horrendous supply problems for the latter.

:edit: WTF? Who's messing with the avatars?

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

postofficebuddy said:
Teeqoz said:
Aerys said:

Well Amazon is pretty reliable since the beginning of the generation, ok not so much on software but on hardware, they were never wrong. So i think it's safe to say PS4 is undertracked by a good amount

Yes, why not, it's very likely, 360 sold only 123k in the US during Halo 3 FW, then 130k second week, then 130k, then 110k ( but it was mostly october month so more releases to help) based on VGC

Yeah, it's not reliable for software, yet you're using it to say that it outsold Titanfall on 360 (which is, you know, software).

No, it's not likely at all, the 360 was dominating the US far more than the PS4 is now, and it got it's probably most notable exclusive of the gen, in the market were Halo is the very strongest, yet it didn't sell more than 528k (NPD), but you expect the PS4 to beat by 70-170k? Really?

Back in 2007? 360 was most definitely not dominating back then. It was getting trampled on by the Wii, and that was with horrendous supply problems for the latter.

I wasn't actually considering the Wii (meaning I didn't take it in consideration, I was talking strictly PS3 vs Xbox 360), but still:  I won't call that being trampled by the Wii...

• Xbox 360 - 527,800
  • Wii - 501,000
  • PlayStation 3 - 119,400

Teeqoz said:

Out of curiosity, what sales figure seems reasonable or likely to you for PS4's September?

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:

Out of curiosity, what sales figure seems reasonable or likely to you for PS4's September?

I'm thinking 450-500k, it'll be close to the 360s september, because Halo launched late in the month while Destiny launched quite early, but I don't think it'll quite beat it. 600-700k however is completely ridiculous.

Edit: This is US only ofcourse.

Oh it was only september. Then yeah, it should be close.
But it was not only Halo 3 effect it seems.

As a system seller, i think Destiny will be close to Halo 3

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
Already done.

Hopefully, VGC will update PS4 numbers faster than last time because i can bet they'll be undertracked by more than 700k next time

its very hard for me to believe that PS4 sold .8 m from 10th of August till the end of Destiny week. PS4 is definatly undertracked here. 

bananaking21 said:
Aerys said:
Already done.

Hopefully, VGC will update PS4 numbers faster than last time because i can bet they'll be undertracked by more than 700k next time

its very hard for me to believe that PS4 sold .8 m from 10th of August till the end of Destiny week. PS4 is definatly undertracked here. 

According to VGC, it sold 1M, look at 10th august week, they have PS4 at 9,75M whereas it should already be at 10M at least based on official numbers, so yes undertracked by 250k at least since 2 months, they'll never update it seems

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Teeqoz said:
CosmicSex said:

I'm thinking 450-500k, it'll be close to the 360s september, because Halo launched late in the month while Destiny launched quite early, but I don't think it'll quite beat it. 600-700k however is completely ridiculous.

Edit: This is US only ofcourse.

Sounds rational, but after Infamous and its 375k in March, I am utterly convinced that a much more high profile game, with an additional bundle performing so well indicates that the PS4's potential may be much higher than 450k-500k although that would still be excellent.  

Can't wait to see though,  they are going to be a lot of people waiting up late for that batch of NPD numbers to roll in.