By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that push their hardware the hardest

Tagged games:

The Last of US (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Even too much, the game runs like shit. Framerate issues (even dropping to 0), pop-in issues.

Around the Network

Thunderforce IV on genesis.

It's hard to tell by screenshot, but the size and number of sprites over a multitude of parallax scrolling, full screen background distortions, background animation, everything displaying at the same time was absolutely gorgeous. And the game achieves a great level of variety of sprites and background with only 8 Mb. The technical level is so high it was doing better not only than most of megadrive games, but I also think better in term of effects and technical level than the equivalent on Neo Geo at this time (ie. games like last ressort, 3~4 years before Metal Slug and oversized cartdridges).

Only a video can show the level of magnificience, I advise to jump from a scene to another : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbwXJ5qJUs

episteme said:
Wii - Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles

Really? I didn't think it was particularly demanding, even for the hardware.

Generation leading consoles
Atari - Pitfall 2 or Vanguard
NES - Mario 3
SNES - Star Fox (Still impressive despite the super FX chip)
PS1 - Metal Gear solid
PS2 - God Of War 2
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy (1 or 2)

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

For the SNES I have to say Star Fox and Mega Man & Bass! For Christ's sake, Mega Man & Bass looked the SAME as Mega Man 8, which was a Saturn/PSX game! If that's not impressive, then I don't know what it's!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Shenmue 1 & 2, come to think of it, were very impressive for Dreamcast titles.They looked better than the PS2 games of the time.

N64 - Starfox 64

Gamecube - Metroid Prime

Wii - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Wii U - Super Mario 3D World (So far)

Xbox 360 - Bioshock Infinite

Snes : DKC. it blew my mind back in the days. the tech behind it is still impressiv.

360: Halo 4.
I wouldn't say it legitimately "pushes the hardware" the most of any 360 title, that award likely goes to GTAV, but it makes far better use of what it does use than any other. I'd say that's more important than raw power usage. For me personally it's the best looking 7th gen FPS (overall better than even KZ3 and C3).

Wii: Honestly no idea. I can think of multiple Wii titles that looked good relative to the hardware, but there isn't a specific one that really stands out to me.

PS3: GT6.
Tech wise this is the holy grail of the 7th gen. Many of us complain about how GT6 should have been a PS4 title, and it seems PD half agree with us. It's pretty obvious GT6 was made with the next gen transition in mind. To quote DF "we're seeing state-of-the-art features that aren't even present in the next-gen Forza Motorsports 5."

Zekkyou said:
360: Halo 4.
I wouldn't say it legitimately "pushes the hardware" the most of any 360 title, that award likely goes to GTAV, but it makes far better use of what it does use than any other. I'd say that's more important than raw power usage. For me personally it's the best looking 7th gen FPS (overall better than even KZ3 and C3).

Wii: Honestly no idea. I can think of multiple Wii titles that looked good relative to the hardware, but there isn't a specific one that really stands out to me.

PS3: GT6.
Tech wise this is the holy grail of the 7th gen. Many of us complain about how GT6 should have been a PS4 title, and it seems PD half agree with us. It's pretty obvious GT6 was made with the next gen transition in mind. To quote DF "we're seeing state-of-the-art features that aren't even present in the next-gen Forza Motorsports 5."

Agreed on the bold.

As for the Wii, I'd suggest Jett Rocket in terms of "makes far better use of what it does use than any other" as you say, and probably Conduit 2 in terms of "pushes the system til it buckles".

And yeah, I swear I could see steam coming out of my cousin's PS3 when he played GT6.