By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Nintendo want to be hardcore? Update the Wii U

Do you like the console name Nintendo RY-U?

Yes, Nintendo is the awakened Dragon 46 46.46%

No, I like ding dongs 53 53.54%

Total:99

I was thinking when someone would make this thread.

On home consoles, we have clear examples that updates dont work. Look at the Mega/Sega CD and 32X. Or if you want a completely new model, you can look at the multi-mega.

I think its premature to declare the new 3DS as a sucess aswell. We are yet to see.

Around the Network

The way Nintendo works is they make games that please all demographics. Consider the Wii U demographic is the same as PS4 and One I say tap in to the market of users not the people they dont need to convince... aka the hardware whiners,

Ka-pi96 said:
PigPen said:

Nothing, I love what Nintendo is doing now.

Fair enough, that's great for you at the moment then

Although if they could change some things to attract a bigger audience without damaging the things you currently love about Nintendo would you be for them doing that?

Well, I'll be lying if I said no.  Nintendo could always be a better company.

Ka-pi96 said:
zippy said:

Sorry to butt in, but i wanted to give you more of a heads up on Nintendos current online. Whilst not on par with Playstation and Xbox, i can honestly say that they have made great strides with their sevices. The online games ive played (COD,Mario Kart, Monster Hunter) have been very smooth and robust, and love it or loath it, Miiverse really is a great social media for real gamers. I have made many a good friend on there, and have engaged in a lot of really positive gaming discussions. The streaming services function fine, the Eshop is very good, the console is always updating, even in standby mode and this is all free. I do feel people somewhat exaggerate when they say Nintendos online is terrible, its not the best out there but its very good at what it does.

That's good to know. Although what about party chat? I think that's quite an imporant feature for PS/Xbox, does Nintendo have it? I don't think they do in Mario Kart, but I'm not sure elsewhere.

Still, good to know they are quickly improving their online and it isn't as bad as some people say

No real party chat as of yet, although some games do feature it, inc a few 3rd party ones. There are still plenty of things to improve on, but on the whole ive been very pleased with my Wii U and 3DS online functions. I know you are a Playstation and Xbox fan, but have you seen anything that may tempt you to buying a Wii U in the future?

Roma said:
Ka-pi96 said:
IamAwsome said:

Just because they aren't successful doesn't mean they don't try.

I must say, I hope they haven't tried yet then. Because if they have they really don't know what the core gamer wants.

yeah the core gamer want's generic shooters and gangster games

they don't really have those yet

Generic shooters and gangster games? Lmfao. Not all shooters are generic idk why people like you hate on them so much. I consider myself a core gamer but I don't rush out to get a game once I see it's generic haha. Just because someone likes something else doesn't mean you downplay. Respect other people's opinions. 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network

The "Wii" brand in general is a liability nowadays when trying to appeal to any audience really, now that casuals are not coming back.

It dates Nintendo and makes people think of 2006, just like brands like Blackberry and MySpace are liabilities because they scream "hey remember when that was cool in 2006, lol".

The sooner Nintendo ditches it for a fresh start, the better really. The rest of this generation for them is just about treading water and hoping that amiibo can salvage this gen with some late cycle profits (plastic toys have very nice profit margins).

NightDragon83 said:
"Not only does this 1-up the idiot 3rd party publishers who sit so comfortably on their cash cows.."

Stopped reading right there. No one has been lazier and more comfortable sitting on their cash cows over the past generation than Nintendo has. And least those "lazy" 3rd parties introduced new AAA IPs or turned existing IPs into AAA franchises over the past generation. Other than the "Wii" titles (and really, what other than Wii Sports was really new and innovative), what did Nintendo do to shake things up over the last decade?

Are you kidding? Please tell me what 3rd party delivered anything remotely innovative over the past generation? We have the same exact sports games, same exact shooters, same exact Assassins creeds made every year and you're going to tell me Nintendo is the lazy one... I understand Nintendo has cash cows too, but at least they innovate their games to match other genres instead of the same old crap 3rd party feeds you.

prayformojo said:
Assyrian612 said:

I am very thrilled to hear Nintendo challenge the market by appealing to the core gamers. Not only does this 1-up the idiot 3rd party publishers who sit so comfortably on their cash cows.. It brings them the market Nintendo helped form "the core gamer".. So now that the classic Dragon has awakened, I believe the Wii U needs a makeover.. Nintendo needs to embrace this role.. Nintendo has the power to drastically create a new formula for their struggling console. Just as the new 3DS has the core gamers in awe.. The Wii U must be the catalyst that really drives in the core gamer.. I introduce to you, the nintendo RY-U.. The new name is just a momentum builder, since we are not appealing to the Wii's "casuals".. Aim for the core, the Dragon breathing legend.. Nintendo RY-U will be redesigned from only what the Wii U had less appeal with. The tablet must be resized and more comfortable (less bulky), the RY-U must sync somehow with the new 3DS allowing cross play functionality, the RY-U must also come prepacked with a Wii U pro-controller since this controller is more core, and also upgrade the Hard drive to either 250-500gb HDD or 120gb SSD.. Just these simple additions and a nice array of selectable console colors, I believe the RY-U could be the catalyst Nintendo needs to gain major ground in the console war.. This is just my opinion mainly, bcuz I'm so excited and proud of Nintendo.. From a loyal Sega-Sony fan, good luck Nintendo I'm with you all the way!

Core gaming means niche gaming. Core gamers are the nerds of the world, not the cool kids. Where do all the cool kids play? Yeah, PS4 and Xbone, that's where. Where do all the nerds play? The one's who dwell online, collect stuffed animals and go to costume parties even though they're 35 years old? Yeah, on a Wii-U. 

How many times have you over heard someone at work (unless you work in a gaming related job) talking about their Xbox and Ikaruga? No? It's always about COD and Madden you say? Yeah, that's my point.

So imo, Nintendo IS the core of cores. They don't need to do anything to keep them either. What you're talking about is getting the mainstream gamers. If they want those, then yes, they have to do what you said but I doubt they will under Iwata. He seems more interested in going his own way.

I think you are making a confusion in my statement.. Nintendo has not appealed to the core gamer with their last two consoles. Their market approach shifting to focus on the core gamers is indeed my point here. With that being applied their console must now shift into bringing in more core gamers from other markets. Their 1st party studios imo destroy any 3rd party studios in terms of quality.. Nintendo games are crafted to perfection, look at pikmin 3 and mk8.. So yes I agree Wii U has core gamers, but they don't have enough to establish a firm title of a core gamer console.

Soundwave said:
The "Wii" brand in general is a liability nowadays when trying to appeal to any audience really, now that casuals are not coming back.

It dates Nintendo and makes people think of 2006, just like brands like Blackberry and MySpace are liabilities because they scream "hey remember when that was cool in 2006, lol".

The sooner Nintendo ditches it for a fresh start, the better really. The rest of this generation for them is just about treading water and hoping that amiibo can salvage this gen with some late cycle profits (plastic toys have very nice profit margins).

Nintendo needs to keep what it's doing now.  Getting more exclusives like Bayonetta 2.  So you can cry why the game is a Wii U exclusive and why you won't buy the console for one game. lol

Wow if they release this updated console with exclusives like the N3DS, then the wii u I bought 2 months back will be my first and last nintendo console. This is no way to treat consumers.