By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Nintendo want to be hardcore? Update the Wii U

Do you like the console name Nintendo RY-U?

Yes, Nintendo is the awakened Dragon 46 46.46%

No, I like ding dongs 53 53.54%

Total:99
Ka-pi96 said:
IamAwsome said:

They have tried. See E3 2010-2012. A poorly done half-assed attempt is still an attempt. Anyway I think NoA and NoE know what the hardcore gamer wants. It's the micromanaging Japanese executives and poor execution that hold them back. 

At E3 2010 what did we see? A new handheld with AAA hardcore franchise after AAA hardcore franchise, all third party, announced for it and not a Cooking Mama in sight (though they did announce Nintendogs + Cats). Aside from that most of the other games were first party because by 2010 most third party support on Wii had vanished. Their reaction to this? Get support for the Wii U, and at E3 2011 they had guys from EA Sports, Ubisoft, Irrational, THQ/Vigil, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai among many others talk about how they love and support the console, etc. Let's not forget about EA's CEO stepping on stage and promising the infamous "unprecedented partnership" and then the publisher bailing before the system launched. 

Fast Forward to E3 2012 and they tried to push third party support. It was a horrible conference and they killed the buzz, but it shows that they know the hardcore wants third party support. Iwata and Reggie have talked about going after the hardcore several times. They want the hardcore. The Wii was a weak console with motion control. They made the Wii U stronger (albeit not strong enough by a long shot) and tried to market the Gamepad/Pro Controller to developers. The problem with Nintendo isn't the concept, it's the execution. They have shown that they have the tools to get the hardcore; it's just how they use those tools. A strong enough Wii U with a redesigned Gamepad, different name, and third party support that doesn't evaporate after six months would do better with the hardcore than the system on the market now. The Wii U will be a bitter pill to swallow for Nintendo, and come next gen they will try to get the hardcore again. They know what they need to do (and should know after 15 years). They just need to do it, and do it right. 

TL;DR: Nintendo has tried and failed to get the hardcore many times. They know what the hardcore wants, but their poor execution holds them back. 

Anyway to the OP: Updating the Wii U will not bring the hardcore in. Releasing a 9th gen console that is strong enough, and has third party support will. 

Ok, I can agree with that. You are right they have tried and they probably should have been much more succesful with some of the things they've tried. It does really sound like the Japanese part of Nintendo is holding them back like you said. I wonder how they would do if they left the next console design completely up to the American/European branches instead. Would sure be interesting.

A westernized console would fare a lot better in the market than te Wii U; maybe even beating out the XB1.

Around the Network

Nintendo has been and always will be hardcore.

siddhartha87 said:
Wow if they release this updated console with exclusives like the N3DS, then the wii u I bought 2 months back will be my first and last nintendo console. This is no way to treat consumers.

How is this no way to treat customers? Go look at the multiple redesigns the PS2, PS3, and X360.. Go even furthur back and look at the SNES.. I made no mention about having exclusive games.. not sure where you got that from.

Assyrian612 said:
siddhartha87 said:
Wow if they release this updated console with exclusives like the N3DS, then the wii u I bought 2 months back will be my first and last nintendo console. This is no way to treat consumers.

How is this no way to treat customers? Go look at the multiple redesigns the PS2, PS3, and X360.. Go even furthur back and look at the SNES.. I made no mention about having exclusive games.. not sure where you got that from.

If its a redesign then m fine, as long as I get to play all the games. Playing games are my concern :p

At the moment they are targeting small pre-school kids only which leads to a very small user base and lack of 3rd party support.

Around the Network

I could give a shit less about a slight re-design. But I in no way support a "New 3DS" like hardware upgrade.

No fucking thanks. The hardware is fine. It just needs more games.

From my experience of the Wii U, the retail games that seemed high profile were:

Zelda Windwaker HD
Mario 3d World
The Wonderful 101
Sonic Lost World
Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
DK:TF
ZombiU
Nintendo Land
NSMBU

Four platform games and the rest were completely different genres. I'd imagine I'd qualify as a core gamer. Personally I like platform games and I like to play a wide range of genres. Nintendo is supplying the range of games I personally want to play (Though not necessarily at the rate I want to consume them).