By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Nintendo want to be hardcore? Update the Wii U

Do you like the console name Nintendo RY-U?

Yes, Nintendo is the awakened Dragon 46 46.46%

No, I like ding dongs 53 53.54%

Total:99

I thought they have been trying to recapture the hard core market since they revealed the Wii U

nice

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
IamAwsome said:

Just because they aren't successful doesn't mean they don't try.

I must say, I hope they haven't tried yet then. Because if they have they really don't know what the core gamer wants.

They have tried. See E3 2010-2012. A poorly done half-assed attempt is still an attempt. Anyway I think NoA and NoE know what the hardcore gamer wants. It's the micromanaging Japanese executives and poor execution that hold them back. 

At E3 2010 what did we see? A new handheld with AAA hardcore franchise after AAA hardcore franchise, all third party, announced for it and not a Cooking Mama in sight (though they did announce Nintendogs + Cats). Aside from that most of the other games were first party because by 2010 most third party support on Wii had vanished. Their reaction to this? Get support for the Wii U, and at E3 2011 they had guys from EA Sports, Ubisoft, Irrational, THQ/Vigil, Capcom, and Namco-Bandai among many others talk about how they love and support the console, etc. Let's not forget about EA's CEO stepping on stage and promising the infamous "unprecedented partnership" and then the publisher bailing before the system launched. 

Fast Forward to E3 2012 and they tried to push third party support. It was a horrible conference and they killed the buzz, but it shows that they know the hardcore wants third party support. Iwata and Reggie have talked about going after the hardcore several times. They want the hardcore. The Wii was a weak console with motion control. They made the Wii U stronger (albeit not strong enough by a long shot) and tried to market the Gamepad/Pro Controller to developers. The problem with Nintendo isn't the concept, it's the execution. They have shown that they have the tools to get the hardcore; it's just how they use those tools. A strong enough Wii U with a redesigned Gamepad, different name, and third party support that doesn't evaporate after six months would do better with the hardcore than the system on the market now. The Wii U will be a bitter pill to swallow for Nintendo, and come next gen they will try to get the hardcore again. They know what they need to do (and should know after 15 years). They just need to do it, and do it right. 

TL;DR: Nintendo has tried and failed to get the hardcore many times. They know what the hardcore wants, but their poor execution holds them back. 

Anyway to the OP: Updating the Wii U will not bring the hardcore in. Releasing a 9th gen console that is strong enough, and has third party support will. 

TreeTurtle said:
I thought they have been trying to recapture the hard core market since they revealed the Wii U

They've been trying since the Gamecube. 

If they do i'm selling the original and going straight PS4 for this gen.

Ka-pi96 said:
Blob said:

As a "core" gamer (I have every console since the PS1/N64 gen, and probably 400+ games since then as well) I enjoyed the wii for what it was, yes even the motion control. No only that but the wii u has all my most anticipated games coming out on it, bar bloodborne. So yeah I think there is definately a definition of "Core" that wants stuff like the wii and wii u.

Interesting. Although I've got to ask since you said you had multiple consoles which did you prefer, the PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii. Ignoring exclusives, which console did you prefer? Were you happy with the the way the Wii was or would you have preferred it to keep the motion controls but at the same time be more similar to the PS360?

My personal favourite would have to go to 360, as it was the first of the two HD consoles I bought so all my third party games were bought for it.  I also prefer the controller and got slightly hooked on achievements. Later picked up a PS3 for exclusives.

To me the wii was more than worth it. t received a lot of niche games that might not have been perfect, but were still very enjoyable. That and local multiplayer was amazing, mostly because it was the only console that really did it but you could also get non gamers involved and they would have a blast.

Personally I would've liked Nintendo to have an account/achievement system with the wii. Power wise however it didnt bother me as the games were still quality, and plentiful if you looked, and were willing to give a few things a chance. I think if Nintendo had done the motion controls and coupled it with the PS360s power it wouldve been unstoppable. Casuals still wouldve bought it as it was the newest fad, and it wouldve received all the third party games. Or at least thats how I think it would've gone down.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Hmmm, I'll believe them targeting the core gamer when I see it.

If they want to do it I think it is too late for anything Wii U related, they should just finish what games they are currently making for it and then focus completely on a brand new really good console. They need a much better name, standard controllers (ie. the pro controller or an improved version) any gimmicks such as the tablet should be optional extras, they need a proper account/online infrastructre comparable to what Sony and Microsoft have.

Although the most important thing of all is they need full 3rd party backing. They don't want 3rd party exclusives, the ones they would get wouldn't really be worth it. What they want is all the multi plats that have at the least the same content as their PS/Xbox counterparts. They then need a huge marketing push that heavily uses 3rd party games. They should make deals with publishers, have an actual E3 conference and present a number of big 3rd party games, as well as have TV marketing specifially mentioning the big games that are coming to their console, without mentioning any other consoles.

That's just crazy talk.  You're confused with the Xbox One.

Ka-pi96 said:
PigPen said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Hmmm, I'll believe them targeting the core gamer when I see it.

If they want to do it I think it is too late for anything Wii U related, they should just finish what games they are currently making for it and then focus completely on a brand new really good console. They need a much better name, standard controllers (ie. the pro controller or an improved version) any gimmicks such as the tablet should be optional extras, they need a proper account/online infrastructre comparable to what Sony and Microsoft have.

Although the most important thing of all is they need full 3rd party backing. They don't want 3rd party exclusives, the ones they would get wouldn't really be worth it. What they want is all the multi plats that have at the least the same content as their PS/Xbox counterparts. They then need a huge marketing push that heavily uses 3rd party games. They should make deals with publishers, have an actual E3 conference and present a number of big 3rd party games, as well as have TV marketing specifially mentioning the big games that are coming to their console, without mentioning any other consoles.

That's just crazy talk.  You're confused with the Xbox One.

How so? Microsoft already do pretty much everything I suggested. They did have a non optional gimmick to start with (even though that has now changed)  and the name is odd, but both of those things are also true of the Wii U.

I love that Nintendo is getting exclusives because the third parties jump ship.  I doubt I would get to play Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third exclusively if Nintendo actually had third party backing.  Nintendo "should just finish what games they are currently making for it and then focus completely on a brand new really good console", like you know what a good console is.  Nintendo's online is fine for the most part, and don't have to be like the PS4 or XOne.  You're feeling some type of way cause the XOne is in last, and it will be that way for a very long long time.

Ka-pi96 said:
PigPen said:
Ka-pi96 said:

How so? Microsoft already do pretty much everything I suggested. They did have a non optional gimmick to start with (even though that has now changed)  and the name is odd, but both of those things are also true of the Wii U.

I love that Nintendo is getting exclusives because the third parties ship.  I doubt I would get to play Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third exclusively if Nintendo actually had third party backing.  Nintendo "should just finish what games they are currently making for it and then focus completely on a brand new really good console, like you know what a good console is.  Nintendo's online is fine for the most part, and don't have to be like the PS4 or XOne.  You're feeling some type of way cause the XOne is in last, and it will be that way for a very long long time.

I can see what you mean about Bayonetta and Devil's Third. Yeah they probably should keep doing that. But I was thinking more getting equal versions of stuff like FIFA, AC, GTA etc. Getting them exclusive would be way too expensive if even possible so they should focus on exclusive marketing deals instead, like Sony and Microsoft do. Stuff like Bayonetta is great for Wii U gamers but it isn't going to pull in as many people as a big multiplat that is at the very least equal to the other versions would.

I'll be honest, I don't know a whole a lot about Nintendo's current online so I'm mainly saying they should improve that because of what I've read elsewhere. If that stuff is true then there are definitely things to improve, but as I said I don't know for sure.

With regards to your last comment... I'm a dual Sony/Microsoft fanboy so my side is also in 1st place and will stay that way for a very long long time

I'm happy with second place, Nintendo can't win them all.   After all, they did win last generation. lol

Ka-pi96 said:
PigPen said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I can see what you mean about Bayonetta and Devil's Third. Yeah they probably should keep doing that. But I was thinking more getting equal versions of stuff like FIFA, AC, GTA etc. Getting them exclusive would be way too expensive if even possible so they should focus on exclusive marketing deals instead, like Sony and Microsoft do. Stuff like Bayonetta is great for Wii U gamers but it isn't going to pull in as many people as a big multiplat that is at the very least equal to the other versions would.

I'll be honest, I don't know a whole a lot about Nintendo's current online so I'm mainly saying they should improve that because of what I've read elsewhere. If that stuff is true then there are definitely things to improve, but as I said I don't know for sure.

With regards to your last comment... I'm a dual Sony/Microsoft fanboy so my side is also in 1st place and will stay that way for a very long long time

I'm happy with second place, Nintendo can't win them all.   After all, they did win last generation. lol

Ok, but what did you think of everything else? I think Nintendo do need to change some things up to attract a wider audience, Wii U sales would appear to show that as well. Although I don't think they would need to change much to attract a lot more people.

I suppose the real question is, what do you want them to do with their next home console? Handhelds they are great at so I'm sure that will be succesful, but home consoles they have been both good and bad at. I've said what I think they should do to attract a bigger audience, but what do you think they should do, if anything at all?

Nothing, I love what Nintendo is doing now.

Ka-pi96 said:
PigPen said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I love that Nintendo is getting exclusives because the third parties ship.  I doubt I would get to play Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third exclusively if Nintendo actually had third party backing.  Nintendo "should just finish what games they are currently making for it and then focus completely on a brand new really good console, like you know what a good console is.  Nintendo's online is fine for the most part, and don't have to be like the PS4 or XOne.  You're feeling some type of way cause the XOne is in last, and it will be that way for a very long long time.

Sorry to butt in, but i wanted to give you more of a heads up on Nintendos current online. Whilst not on par with Playstation and Xbox, i can honestly say that they have made great strides with their sevices. The online games ive played (COD,Mario Kart, Monster Hunter) have been very smooth and robust, and love it or loath it, Miiverse really is a great social media for real gamers. I have made many a good friend on there, and have engaged in a lot of really positive gaming discussions. The streaming services function fine, the Eshop is very good, the console is always updating, even in standby mode and this is all free. I do feel people somewhat exaggerate when they say Nintendos online is terrible, its not the best out there but its very good at what it does.