By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New 3DS is genius even if it screws over the fanbase.

AZWification said:
spemanig said:
Wait... What the actual fuck!? The New 3DS may not be able to play old 3DS/DSi games?!?!

http://www.slashgear.com/new-nintendo-3ds-limits-detailed-wifi-backup-pc-only-no-sdxc-29343412/

"Most concerning, however, is the prospect of 3DS/DSi content not necessarily being compatible on the new 3DS. According to Nintendo, that's because of a change in the position of the game card slot."

This is my message to Nintendo:

That article almost seems purposefully misleading. The way that paragraph is worded makes it sound like a large amount of software won't be compatible, which isn't true at all. What Nintendo's Q&A is saying is that games on the DS, DSi, and 3DS that used the GBA slot, had mandatory peripherals, or had special in-cartridge features (such as the directional sensing card) would either not work at all or have less functionality, like the DS Pokémon games that allowed transfers from GBA cartridges, which can't be done on a DSi or anything later. Here's a Japanese list of software with no/limited compatibility. I'm not entirely sure, since I can't read Japanese, but I think that the first list includes games that won't work on a New 3DS only because of the orientation, the second has games that won't work on any 3DS or DSi, because they need GBA peripherals, and the third has games that still work on everything, but have less features because there isn't a GBA slot.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

The problem is, why do I need to purchases 2 handhelds for this gen? It's gonna be awesome, it looks really cool and it will have a very long lifespan (which might be the only reason I will get it in like 2 years), but you have to wonder as a consumer, why did I buy the OG 3DS or the 3DS XL if their gonna release the definitive model some years later

That's why a lot of people (including me) are pissed off.

Is it a great idea? Of course! A dual analog stick, with ZR and ZL Nintendo handheld will be amazing, but not as part of the 8th Gen, since we already have another awesome Nintendo handheld to worry about.

they always do that so nothing new. next time they release a handheld just wait for the definitive version

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

People make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

It is the DS-> DSi , GB-> GBC transition all over again.

There will be like 5 games at most exclusive to the new 3DS and some games will run a bit better on the n3DS like Pokemon Black and White did on the DSi .

Thats....it.

StarDoor said:
AZWification said:
spemanig said:
Wait... What the actual fuck!? The New 3DS may not be able to play old 3DS/DSi games?!?!

http://www.slashgear.com/new-nintendo-3ds-limits-detailed-wifi-backup-pc-only-no-sdxc-29343412/

"Most concerning, however, is the prospect of 3DS/DSi content not necessarily being compatible on the new 3DS. According to Nintendo, that's because of a change in the position of the game card slot."

This is my message to Nintendo:

That article almost seems purposefully misleading. The way that paragraph is worded makes it sound like a large amount of software won't be compatible, which isn't true at all. What Nintendo's Q&A is saying is that games on the DS, DSi, and 3DS that used the GBA slot, had mandatory peripherals, or had special in-cartridge features (such as the directional sensing card) would either not work at all or have less functionality, like the DS Pokémon games that allowed transfers from GBA cartridges, which can't be done on a DSi or anything later. Here's a Japanese list of software with no/limited compatibility. I'm not entirely sure, since I can't read Japanese, but I think that the first list includes games that won't work on a New 3DS only because of the orientation, the second has games that won't work on any 3DS or DSi, because they need GBA peripherals, and the third has games that still work on everything, but have less features because there isn't a GBA slot.

Really? Well, that certainly makes more sense and it's not as bad as before!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I'm in. It's the best and, like Gaston, don't I deserve the best?

Around the Network
orniletter said:

There will be like 5 games at most exclusive to the new 3DS and some games will run a bit better on the n3DS like Pokemon Black and White did on the DSi .

Thats....it.

no it isnt the same thing. I dont know why people keep saying this. the DSi didnt really change too much from DS and they didnt boast having its own library that would be incompatible with older games. Yeah they had eshop games but none of them were of consequence they were no DSi retail exclusive games that i know off. 

GBC its not even close to the same. GBC was released almost TEN years after the original GB, matter of fact its really a succesor and not a redesign.  We're essentially getting a faux sucessor to 3ds only 3 and half years after intial release. Now this might not hurt ninty too much but Im sure its not going to really set the charts on fire, and if it isnt doing that i have to wonder what is the point?

oniyide said:
orniletter said:

Thats....it.

no it isnt the same thing. I dont know why people keep saying this. the DSi didnt really change too much from DS and they didnt boast having its own library that would be incompatible with older games. Yeah they had eshop games but none of them were of consequence they were no DSi retail exclusive games that i know off. 

GBC its not even close to the same. GBC was released almost TEN years after the original GB, matter of fact its really a succesor and not a redesign.  We're essentially getting a faux sucessor to 3ds only 3 and half years after intial release. Now this might not hurt ninty too much but Im sure its not going to really set the charts on fire, and if it isnt doing that i have to wonder what is the point?

Ok and how many games are exclusive to N3DS? So far 1, kinda premature  to think it'll have a library of its own, lets see how things turn out first.

I think it's full on genius. I don't think it screw over thew fanbase or atleast Nintendo wasn't trying to. This console fixes so many problems which I will point out.

.Screen size: 1.2 times bigger at 3.88 inches which in my opinion is better for the small New 3DS because it was too small so this is just bang on

.CPU Power: didn't ever consider it a problem, but now? It really makes a difference.

.HTML5: Now supported on the Internet Browser thanks to this new power.

.Extra buttons: ZL and ZR are fantastic. Sure people didn't think this new C-Stick would be like it is now today, but it's still going to be very useful.

That's all I can think off really, but then you get cool extras like the small version having swappable covers and AXBY buttons like Super Nintendo. Suppoed to have double the RAM, 4MB VRAM which brings it to 10MB. People will think it's nothing cuz of it being a few MB, but it makes a difference. It's not as powerful as Vita, but definitely closes the gap. A lot of them problems were what people wanted solving and it was probably expensive to do so and Nintendo wanted to do it right. Even came out with that Circle Pad Pro to solve it for the time being. Not as easy as 1, 2 and 3. I think peple true worries are exclusive content, but people are judging by what they know which is absolute feck all really, just what the console is.

Ka-pi96 said:
Not entirely sure what I think of it yet, although it sounds like the kind of thing EA would do.

Nowhere close, Nintendo done this since the 90s XD

oniyide said:

The DSi changed more than the N3DS is changing in the hardware. It also lost the GBA slot on the bottom, making it impossible to play GBA games on the DSi where as before the DSLite had maintained that feature. (This is why Nintendo continued to support the DSLite.)

The DSi did have its own games and not just eshop titles but actual games. There were four retail exclusives, wikipedia is your friend. There were also many games that simply ran better or to a fuller extent on the updated hardware, not least of which was Pokemon BW2. (And aside from some exlusives that Nintendo themselves will pump out as no 3rd party is going to shun the entire 3DS audience, its going to all go down the exact same way as it did with the DSi.)

The GBC was released 9 years after the Gameboy, it had well over fifty exclusive games as well as many games that worked both ways. 

This isn't meant to set charts on fire, this is meant to be an itteration on the 3DS that better accomodates games that could use more inputs like MH, Smash, and, no doubt, Xenoblade as well as provide a better user interface (same thing came up from DS to DSi). The improved power of the console will allow it to actually emulate GBA games (something the 3DS cannot do at all). But this isn't a new console. Their next handheld will actually be on competing grounds, if not well above, the Vita.