By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New 3DS is genius even if it screws over the fanbase.

tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
orniletter said:

People make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is.

It is the DS-> DSi , GB-> GBC transition all over again.

There will be like 5 games at most exclusive to the new 3DS and some games will run a bit better on the n3DS like Pokemon Black and White did on the DSi .

Thats....it.

no it isnt the same thing. I dont know why people keep saying this. the DSi didnt really change too much from DS and they didnt boast having its own library that would be incompatible with older games. Yeah they had eshop games but none of them were of consequence they were no DSi retail exclusive games that i know off. 

GBC its not even close to the same. GBC was released almost TEN years after the original GB, matter of fact its really a succesor and not a redesign.  We're essentially getting a faux sucessor to 3ds only 3 and half years after intial release. Now this might not hurt ninty too much but Im sure its not going to really set the charts on fire, and if it isnt doing that i have to wonder what is the point?

Ok and how many games are exclusive to N3DS? So far 1, kinda premature  to think it'll have a library of its own, lets see how things turn out first.

they've been saying that its going to have some exclusive games, either they are lying or telling the truth.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
tbone51 said:

Ok and how many games are exclusive to N3DS? So far 1, kinda premature  to think it'll have a library of its own, lets see how things turn out first.

they've been saying that its going to have some exclusive games, either they are lying or telling the truth.

Well wat if its just 2-3? That wont be lying am i right? Also i think they'll put out Wii/GCN ports to the N3DS which i dont see a problem at all. Maybe 1 or 2 brand new games.

Nintendo wont put out all of their games for N3DS, actually i bet not even 10% of new SW will be exclusive to N3DS. Thts why we need to wait and see wat they announce!!!

tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
tbone51 said:

Well wat if its just 2-3? That wont be lying am i right? Also i think they'll put out Wii/GCN ports to the N3DS which i dont see a problem at all. Maybe 1 or 2 brand new games.

Nintendo wont put out all of their games for N3DS, actually i bet not even 10% of new SW will be exclusive to N3DS. Thts why we need to wait and see wat they announce!!!

why wouldnt they? they are trying to push this new system? They have done dumber things, hell as you've already stated it wouldnt be that much different from GBA to DS. But we do have to wait and see, personally i dont got much faith in them. Glad you do.

tbone51 said:
LurkerJ said:

How many? You know the price. You know the games, You know what the competition is. Predict, genius.

How many?  ⇒⇒⇒ Alot, Specifically? I'll say at least 10mil. If 2DS can do 3mil+ in the west, im damn sure this will do double its lifetime. (Japan will help with that)

Yes but you also predicted the 3DS would sell at least 20 million last year, and we know how that panned out.

So based on your trackrecord it may sell about 6 million

GProgrammer said:
tbone51 said:
LurkerJ said:

How many? You know the price. You know the games, You know what the competition is. Predict, genius.

How many?  ⇒⇒⇒ Alot, Specifically? I'll say at least 10mil. If 2DS can do 3mil+ in the west, im damn sure this will do double its lifetime. (Japan will help with that)

Yes but you also predicted the 3DS would sell at least 20 million last year, and we know how that panned out.

So based on your trackrecord it may sell about 6 million

So will you take only my fails into account? I got 9 out of 11 bets under my track record (with another 2 wins coming soon). Thank you for noticing just that though... Thank you very much.... Reminds me of the good ol days

Around the Network
oniyide said:
orniletter said:

There will be like 5 games at most exclusive to the new 3DS and some games will run a bit better on the n3DS like Pokemon Black and White did on the DSi .

Thats....it.

no it isnt the same thing. I dont know why people keep saying this. the DSi didnt really change too much from DS and they didnt boast having its own library that would be incompatible with older games. Yeah they had eshop games but none of them were of consequence they were no DSi retail exclusive games that i know off. 

GBC its not even close to the same. GBC was released almost TEN years after the original GB, matter of fact its really a succesor and not a redesign.  We're essentially getting a faux sucessor to 3ds only 3 and half years after intial release. Now this might not hurt ninty too much but Im sure its not going to really set the charts on fire, and if it isnt doing that i have to wonder what is the point?

The point is that they are very likely getting the better hardware of the new 3DS for the same or a similar price of the old hardware. The 3DS´ CPU is super low end, the same applies to the system´s RAM. Hardwarewise, it is the same or comparable jump the DSi had over the original (rumored doubling of CPU and RAM), the only difference is that this time around they announced a single bigger game (a port of a 4 year old Wii game, I might add) exclusive to the redesign which wouldn´t have been possible on the old 3DS´s hardware.

The point is that they want to stop or dampen the freefalling hardware sales by enticing their hardcore customers to upgrade...again. This is not a faux successor and the real 4DS will launch in 2016 (as has been indirectly said by Iwata).

It won´t set the charts on fire, I agree, but it´s not like this super offensive kick in the face some people are making it out to be and we should all be outraged about.

It is good to keep in mind that both, the GBC and DSi had a lifespan of ~2 years.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this is like the Gameboy/C. Gameboy was 4th gen, GBC was 5th. This is the same generation. GB -> GBC took 8 years. This new model is releasing just 3 years after the 3DS.

4 ≈ One

orniletter said:
oniyide said:
orniletter said:

Thats....it.

The It is good to keep in mind that both, the GBC and DSi had a lifespan of ~2 years.

Yup pretty much. Nintendo will ride out the "New" 3DS for another two years and then replace it. They are pretty much on the identical time line as the GBC and DSi. 

2014 = amiibo product launch

2015 = quality of life launch

2016 = Next-Gen Nintendo Portable (Fusion?)

They have pretty much the next few years mapped out I think.

I'm not sure what's so genious about screwing fans over! Short term gains will bite them in the ass in the long term. Moves like this make people wary of adopting early.

orniletter said:
oniyide said:
orniletter said:

Thats....it.

The point is that they are very likely getting the better hardware of the new 3DS for the same or a similar price of the old hardware. The 3DS´ CPU is super low end, the same applies to the system´s RAM. Hardwarewise, it is the same or comparable jump the DSi had over the original (rumored doubling of CPU and RAM), the only difference is that this time around they announced a single bigger game (a port of a 4 year old Wii game, I might add) exclusive to the redesign which wouldn´t have been possible on the old 3DS´s hardware.

The point is that they want to stop or dampen the freefalling hardware sales by enticing their hardcore customers to upgrade...again. This is not a faux successor and the real 4DS will launch in 2016 (as has been indirectly said by Iwata).

It won´t set the charts on fire, I agree, but it´s not like this super offensive kick in the face some people are making it out to be and we should all be outraged about.

It is good to keep in mind that both, the GBC and DSi had a lifespan of ~2 years.

I get all that, i just think this is a stupid way to go about it. just my opinion. Xenoblade not possible on current 3ds? then dont put the game on 3ds then. I find it odd, Ninty portable systems have never done well because of ram and things like exttra power. Game boy was the worst of its bunch and still sold better than good. Not seeing how this will atrract extra audiences since the ones who havent jumped in already wouldnt care about those kinds of things. And if Ninty isnt trying to do that im really baffled with what the point of this whole thing is.

Dampening freefalling HW sales? put out NEW hardware not this half ass ness they are doing. Actually advertise the product. Ive barely seen any ads or hype for the 3ds since it came out. Offer bundles. lower the price make games that people actually want to play. 

The GBC and DSi is very telling if anything that alone would make me NOT want to get it, why would i buy a product i know will be done in about two years? Im personally not offended, im just perplexed is all.

Edit: if Ninty really is just trying to sell this to current owners they are making alot of assumptions that people will double or even triple dip. Thats almost as arrogant as PS3 600 launch and MS xone no used games thing.