By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (New OP) He's doing it... He's bringing back SONY.

I think that...

I'm quite impressed 46 38.66%

they have risen from the grave! 19 15.97%

Its not a big deal 17 14.29%

Credit should go elsewhere 4 3.36%

Playstation should become independent 9 7.56%

RESULTS 24 20.17%

Total:119
aLkaLiNE said:

They still have their TV division; But yes you're right.  They've been cutting down quite a bit but things were so unorganized prior that there wasn't many other options left.  Someone else mentioned that they were turning around an 18 wheeler, not a ferrari so it was going to take some time.  Since 2012 though, their stock value has gradually inclined which is very hopeful to see in a dog eat dog environment.  Last year or 2013 we saw Blackberry go bankrupt and sell out to some chinese financial firm.  I used to own blackberries and loved their phones, don't want to see the same thing happen here

They spun the tv part off. It is a seperate company that Sony owns. As long as they don't absorb it back in they can do some funky things with the books that way 

Around the Network

I am very pleased with Kaz so far. Rolling all of Sony's digital content under Playstation Network was the first major step in setting the foundation for a successful future. Playstation Vue is set top be worth just as much, if not more than the whole company with a market of over 160M cable subscribers. This is a move that should put more Playstations in American homes than in any previous generation, and it will mean a much more active user base. Kaz is moving Playstation image further away from the Kiddy Video Game console, to the Ultimate Smart Box for the TV.

The next thing he needs to do is merge Sony Mobile Communications into Sony Computer Entertainment. Building a Playstation Phone bringing all of the Xperia Apps to Playstation mobile, and re-branding the Xperia line products under the new Playstation Mobile OS will give them the edge they need to truly bloom in the mobile arena. With this they would have a solid hold on both Home and Mobile entertainment and daily use devices.

Beyond this, I think the rest of Sony looks great. Bravia is starting to finally climb out of its hole. Sony Music, and Sony Pictures have never really had any issues profitability wise. Sony's Camera division is on its way to being the defacto camera with basically every device on the market, and the financial division is just a cash cow.

Rebuilding Sony behind Playstation 4 and Playstation Phone, Kaz will go down in history as a visionary like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. The journey has just begun, and damn is it going to be a good ride.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I think Sony is still kinda irrelevant overall, nobody really buys Sony electronics anymore and their smartphone division is basically in the tank. I mean yeah he can cut every division and just whittle the company down to basically a gaming/media company, but that isn't what Sony used to be.

Soundwave said:
I think Sony is still kinda irrelevant overall, nobody really buys Sony electronics anymore and their smartphone division is basically in the tank. I mean yeah he can cut every division and just whittle the company down to basically a gaming/media company, but that isn't what Sony used to be.

no one buys Apple computers anymore, 80% of apples revenue comes from iphones, yet its considered a sucess, Why the contrast aprouching sony differently?

Soundwave said:

Move your negativity from this Sony recouver boat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Doubt its enough to turn the maesltrom around in the long term beacuse most of that new news is PS.

Ruler said:
Soundwave said:

no one buys Apple computers anymore, 80% of apples revenue comes from iphones, yet its considered a sucess, Why the contrast aprouching sony differently?

Eh, Macs have been at around 8% of the market for at least ten years. And they held that marketshare in 2014. Plenty of people are buying macs.

the_real_dsister44 said:

Eh, I feel like this is pretty premature. Sony got rid of a lot of stuff in 2014... 20 or so stores, the tv division, laptop division, stake in Squeenix, and SOE. I mean, if they can continue to do this year after year, yeah it will be a sustainable plan, but they can only sell or spin off so many things

They needed to sell all of that stuff. Have you been to a Sony store? It's empty as all hell. Compare that to the Apple or even MS store...Laptops, needed to get rid of it. Squeenix, well, unless they could buy a majority share and control where Squeenix games would go, they needed to unload it as it wasn't doing them any good. SOE has always been more of a PC dev, so cutting the fat. With that said, you are right, it's a long road ahead and Sony needs to prove they are financially viable without selling assets.

KBG29 said:
I am very pleased with Kaz so far. Rolling all of Sony's digital content under Playstation Network was the first major step in setting the foundation for a successful future. Playstation Vue is set top be worth just as much, if not more than the whole company with a market of over 160M cable subscribers. This is a move that should put more Playstations in American homes than in any previous generation, and it will mean a much more active user base. Kaz is moving Playstation image further away from the Kiddy Video Game console, to the Ultimate Smart Box for the TV.

The next thing he needs to do is merge Sony Mobile Communications into Sony Computer Entertainment. Building a Playstation Phone bringing all of the Xperia Apps to Playstation mobile, and re-branding the Xperia line products under the new Playstation Mobile OS will give them the edge they need to truly bloom in the mobile arena. With this they would have a solid hold on both Home and Mobile entertainment and daily use devices.

Beyond this, I think the rest of Sony looks great. Bravia is starting to finally climb out of its hole. Sony Music, and Sony Pictures have never really had any issues profitability wise. Sony's Camera division is on its way to being the defacto camera with basically every device on the market, and the financial division is just a cash cow. 

Rebuilding Sony behind Playstation 4 and Playstation Phone, Kaz will go down in history as a visionary like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. The journey has just begun, and damn is it going to be a good ride.

I'm not sure about playstation being the ultimate box. To do so, PS Vue would have to be the netflix of live TV. Being the 'netflix' of live tv would require it to be everywhere, i.e. Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, Android TV, Xbox, WiiU, etc etc. People wouldn't need a Playstation to play content off PS Vue. Ultimately that's probably what sony wants for PS Vue (And PS Now, to be honest)

Sony had a shot of making an "Xperia Vita" with android booting up and an app that would give it access to the PS Vita OS. A grip like accessory would allow for full gamepad integration. Not sure if that's a smart idea now. Definitely no more dedicated handhelds from them though.

Sony Pictures needs a revamp. Especially after the hack. The TV division is great, but the movie division keeps losing money. TV has been coming up with great new content like Breaking Bad and Blacklist, while the movie division has been leaving a lot to be desired.

I see plenty of iPads, iPhones (obviously), and even Macbooks all the time and I travel constantly for work. Sony electronics? Lol. Good luck with that.

One thing I will say about Sony's electronics at least from the 90s is they're built to last. I have an old ass RPTV from 1999 from Sony that still works today and a camcorder that's 20+ years old that still works from Sony. But from I've heard the build quality of their more modern electronics went to sh*t a long time ago.

NewGuy said:
the_real_dsister44 said:

Eh, I feel like this is pretty premature. Sony got rid of a lot of stuff in 2014... 20 or so stores, the tv division, laptop division, stake in Squeenix, and SOE. I mean, if they can continue to do this year after year, yeah it will be a sustainable plan, but they can only sell or spin off so many things

They needed to sell all of that stuff. Have you been to a Sony store? It's empty as all hell. Compare that to the Apple or even MS store...Laptops, needed to get rid of it. Squeenix, well, unless they could buy a majority share and control where Squeenix games would go, they needed to unload it as it wasn't doing them any good. SOE has always been more of a PC dev, so cutting the fat. With that said, you are right, it's a long road ahead and Sony needs to prove they are financially viable without selling assets.

the PS Vita OS. A grip like accessory would allow for full gamepad integration. Not sure if that's a smart idea now. Definitely no more dedicated handhelds from them though.

Sony Pictures needs a revamp. Especially after the hack. The TV division is great, but the movie division keeps losing money. TV has been coming up with great new content like Breaking Bad and Blacklist, while the movie division has been leaving a lot to be desired.

The funny thing about Sony Pictures is if that Super Mario CG movie is done correctly, I could see it becoming one of their top movie IPs next to Spider-Man and Bond, lol.