By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When do you think the next price cut will happen for the X1?

Will the X1 get another price cut in 2014?

No, just additional bundles 109 39.64%

No, everything has already been announced 37 13.45%

Yes, to $349 84 30.55%

Yes, to $299 41 14.91%

Yes, other (explain in post) 3 1.09%

Total:274

i see it getting its second price cut around summer or fall time of 2015 to 349 or even 299 i also see it getting a price cut in just EU as early as spring 2015 MS did this in EU with the 360 they once had two price cuts in EU in the same year making the 360 cheaper than the Wii but only in that region could a 360 be had for less than a Wii

to those saying what price cut well if pre june the cheapest you could get a standard console was 499 and then you could get one for 399 thats a price cut, i dont care if they took kenict out prior you could not get the console in no shape or form for 399

Play Me

Around the Network
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Another price cut? When was there one? I didn't know there was one already.

??? There have been several price cuts. Why so defensive?

OT they will most likely announce a price cut in Feb to fend off The order/bloodborne/uncharted

Oh you mean those limited time "price cuts" only some retailers did? Isn't that just what a business does all the time? I've seen both the xb1 and ps4 gets these "price cuts" I wonder when Sony is having another price cut? 

The $400 edition isn't a price cut just having kinect unbundled lowers the price but it isn't a price cut. An Xbox with kinect @ $400 (not for a limited time only) is a price cut.

DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

OT they will most likely announce a price cut in Feb to fend off The order/bloodborne/uncharted

Oh you mean those limited time "price cuts" only some retailers did? Isn't that just what a business does all the time? I've seen both the xb1 and ps4 gets these "price cuts" I wonder when Sony is having another price cut? 

The $400 edition isn't a price cut just having kinect unbundled lowers the price but it isn't a price cut. An Xbox with kinect @ $400 (not for a limited time only) is a price cut.

So you agree they were price cuts. Also why brng Playstation into this? We are not discussing thier current or future price. When do you think the Xbox1 will have any variation of another price cut?

2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

So you agree they were price cuts. Also why brng Playstation into this? We are not discussing thier current or future price. When do you think the Xbox1 will have any variation of another price cut?

Because you were claiming the Xbox one has had several price cuts and that is simply not the case here. I was using the ps4 as an example. You can get one for $360 so my question is when is the next price cut for the ps4?

I think it will recieve a 100 dollar price cut through gift cards at particular retailers as was common with the 360 from Black Friday up until Christmas.

Around the Network
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

Because you were claiming the Xbox one has had several price cuts and that is simply not the case here. I was using the ps4 as an example. You can get one for $360 so my question is when is the next price cut for the ps4?

You are being way too defensive.  Your initial post was too matter of fact , and you are using semantics to inject your agenda. I will not discuss PS4 in this thread because its off topic I will however discuss the next price cut for Xbox1 (the reason im in this thread). If you dont want to do that then why are you here? 

2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

You are being way too defensive.  Your initial post was too matter of fact , and you are using semantics to inject your agenda. I will not discuss PS4 in this thread because its off topic I will however discuss the next price cut for Xbox1 (the reason im in this thread). If you dont want to do that then why are you here? 

To correct your mistake on Xbox having another price cut which clearly it never has had an official price cut that isn't temporarily done by a business in order to increase sales.

DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

To correct your mistake on Xbox having another price cut which clearly it never has had an official price cut that isn't temporarily done by a business in order to increase sales.

That just isnt true tho... you came to the defense before I even posted in this thread....

Okay, several points here.

(1)- Anyone who knows the console manufacturer to retailer relationship knows that consoles are VERY thin margin SKUs. This is most true during the launch window, but remains true generally throughout the lifespan of the console. Why do retailers accept such narrow margins when their average SKU has dramatically higher margins? Simple : to establish an opening with a customer to continually come back and buy much higher margin items such as controllers and new game releases.

(2)- In terms of cost to retailer vs. sales price, those margins can be razor thin. Walmart may have paid $480+ for XB1s on launch, which is actually a negative effective margin when overhead is taken into account. But for the reasons above, it still makes sense to stock them. The same is true of PS4. Now here's where it gets interesting :

(3)- Unless a console is completely crashed, and the company is SOL (think Dreamcast crash, Turbografx in late 92 onwards, etc), any promotional discount you see will be compensated BY the manufacturer. So those widespread $449 Titanfall bundles we saw in March? Credits were given to the retailers to compensate them for the losses. NO retailer would do a $449 discount on something they paid $480+ for unless there was a big benefit from doing so.

(4)- The above fact is why not EVERY retailer was able to stock the TF bundles at $449. They had to have a good working relationship with Microsoft to participate in that, and many of the smaller retailers just weren't able to get on board.

(5)- We should name those kinds of price cuts as 'official promotional' cuts, as they are directly dictated by the strategies of the companies involved, and are indeed directed BY the console manufacturers.

(6)- This is NOT the same thing as unofficial cuts and non-standard pricing that is not dictated by the console manufacturers. Examples are : Costco pricing things a few % under standard pricing, non-standard bundling of items, or other one-off things that retailers can do of their own accord. Dead giveaways to this type of discount are odd pricing, lack of advertising/promotional materials (Microsoft helped advertise the holy HELL out of the $449 TF bundles!), and complete lack of uniformity. If you see a sale that only applies to a single retailer, then odds are it has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

(X)- The $449 TF bundle WAS fundamentally an official limited-time price cut, for participating retailers. Retailers didn't cut the price without being credited the difference by Microsoft. It's SOP.

(Y)- The $399 DisKinect, after about a year of PR about how Kinect WAS the XB1 and vice versa, and how it would NEVER be sold without it, IS an effective price cut to the PRICE OF ENTRY.

It was a strategic move to offer a way to buy an Xbox One at $399. End of story. If for spin/PR you want to claim it wasn't a price cut, that's on you. Anyone who thinks about it honestly for more than a few seconds sees it for what it is. Same way if Sony released a new SKU that cut back on something (say a pop-top track and cheaper construction, and only the console and controller) and sold it for $349. That's a de-facto price cut, even if the original model is still sold at full MSRP. Given that the XB1 Kinectless and XB1 Madden Kinectless are the only things remotely high in the charts right now, this fact is absolutely vital : at $399, this is a BIG price cut to the cost of getting an XB1 in your hands.

I cannot see a price cut this year. The console is not even a year old and is doing okay, not great, but okay. I think it will just benefit from games and a solid holiday season.