By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When do you think the next price cut will happen for the X1?

Will the X1 get another price cut in 2014?

No, just additional bundles 109 39.64%

No, everything has already been announced 37 13.45%

Yes, to $349 84 30.55%

Yes, to $299 41 14.91%

Yes, other (explain in post) 3 1.09%

Total:274

Do some people really think that price is really the problem the XB1 has?

I personally think that if the XB1 was priced at $250 to the PS4s $400 the PS4 will still outsell it, kinda like how a Samsung galaxy S/note that costs $600 still outsells phones that cost $350.

But apparently there seem to be people that seem to think that tons of people really really want an XB1 and are just waiting for a price drop or Halo.

Anyways OT: All I know is that the if things continue like they have this year, by the time Halo 5 is released it will be bundles with a $300 XB1.

Around the Network

Probably Spring or Summer of 2015.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

it doesnt need one 399 is the perfect price puts it right against ps4 so ppl will pick xb1 now cuz of the exclusives

I hope Microsoft do something to make the console wars a bit more interesting. At its current sales rate the XB1 will take a year or two to over take the Wii U for second place.

Around the Network
HaloReach2014 said:
it doesnt need one 399 is the perfect price puts it right against ps4 so ppl will pick xb1 now cuz of the exclusives

Lol how's that been working so far?

Arkaign said:

Given what we now know about X1 sales after the $399 SKU launched, and how low the numbers have fallen, do you think Microsoft will react again this year and adjust to give us an official $349 or $299 option?

A lot of people thought they would never drop Kinect, and that $499 would stay the entry price for the X1 at least through 2014, but we know that was wrong of course now.

Another possibility is more aggressive bundling (like we recently saw with the 399 XB1 + MCC + Destiny German bundle).

I know that many still believe that Destiny will give X1 a bump, but personally I think September will be an absolute blowout that shows the X1 losing at least 2 to 1, and probably in excess of 3 to 1. If we get those numbers come September NPD results that come out mid-October, I could see a surprise announcement of :

$349 X1 Bundle, Halo MCC, 6 months free XBLG. The question then becomes : will it even have an impact?

I expect to see some unnofficial pricedrops like ones bundled with Walmart gift cards, or bundled with two games.  Then I think MS will assess the damage and way their options.  Rest assured, a price drop is comning by next E3.

One this year might be necessary. The xbox one is trailing behind even the wiiU right now.

Arkaign said:
celador said:
I think they will be fine for the rest of this year. I think April or May next year when sales will start to slow again

If they lose September by more than 2 to 1, do you think they will change nothing?

They are gonna lose 2:1, maybe even more but I think Microsoft is prepared for it. Nothing they can do to counter that Destiny bundle. They know that. My local gamestop is stuffed with ps4s that's been traded in. Reason why? Because all the trade ins came from existing ps4 owners who traded in the black one to pay for the white ps4. I wish we could see data of how many Destiny bundles are being bought by new ps4 owners as opposed to existing ps4 owners who are buying their second ps4. Anyways, on topic, Microsoft cant do anything about that month. They will get beat easily. However, the rest of the year they have the better lineup of games and 2 nice bundles with the call of duty and sunset overdrive white Xbox bundles. I think you might see some nice black Friday deals for a $349 Xbox One. An official price cut probably won't happen until next fall before Halo. 

I doubt they're going to be very SURPRISED that they get beaten badly in September, so I don't think it will drive them to a 2014 price cut.

There's also the question of perception, more specifically on the desirability of the product. Microsoft's been very careful lately not to touch on exact numbers, and not to set itself up to be directly compared to the PS4 in terms of sales figures. But sales figures aren't the only things that can demonstrate a product's momentum... often, the way pricing, bundles and deals are handled are as much an indication. Look at Germany; the Xbox One is being absolutely wrecked in that market, and so one of the most startlingly generous bundles arose from that region.

Even in the U.S., where the console is getting outsold by its competitor, but not nearly as badly as in Europe, there's a different mindset to bundles; Xbox One bundles-with-a-game give the game away, literally, for free. The Destiny bundle, meanwhile, has only a small discount on the game. Even without knowing about the sales lead implicitly, it isn't hard to figure which company is having to work harder, and dig deeper, to try and make itself interesting to the wider consumer market.

A price drop, only a few months after the cheaper Kinectless model, and during the same period you are seeing bundles that give a game away for FREE, would just make the company look a bit desperate. Not because they're lowering the price, but because they're lowering it so soon after all these other sales-booting initiatives were put into action, not even feeling comfortable or confident enough to wait until after the holidays to see how their new title releases and bundles pan out. It's an image of vulnerability, one Microsoft is likely going out of its way to avoid projecting.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.