By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are desktop pc's becoming a thing of the past?

They'll be around, but laptops and tablets have taken over for every day needs. I'm using a laptop mostly, not to carry around, but because it takes up little space on the breakfast table and can easily be put aside.

Around the Network
garretslarrity said:
Tablets are killing laptops. Laptops are killing desktops. Desktops are killing typewriters. Typewriters are killing pens, but pens are selling at record numbers so I have no idea what's going on here.

That's 'cause people use pens to write on tablets obviously.

nah custom pcs are up YoY arent they? more parts sold every year i think. The pre-built market isnt what it used to be but the demand is always there for companys, schools, universities, etc.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Self build is very big right now.

It's true that sales of desktop PC are now lower than before, but don't judge its presence in the market by what you see in stores like Walmart. These kind of stores are always in need of more space so they have no problem with stop using the space those kind of products take in favor of tablets, which are smaller (so they can show more) and are also the "thing" rigt now.

But in reality, desktop PCs will still be around for a long time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

All that means is that people have stopped buying pre-built desktops, and thank god for that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
All that means is that people have stopped buying pre-built desktops, and thank god for that.

More like they have stopped going to big malls to buy pre-built desktop PCs and instead have gone to more PC focused shops where they can get those PC while getting a better service, a better machine for their needs and maybe even a better price.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

lolno... Desktops PCs are always going to be very revelant and you know it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I think in most homes desktops will be replaced with tablets, most people just want to be able to browse the web, facebook and read and write a few emails, which a tablet is perfect for.

Only those that actually need a Desktop for work and gaming will still continue to buy them.

Xenostar said:
I think in most homes desktops will be replaced with tablets, most people just want to be able to browse the web, facebook and read and write a few emails, which a tablet is perfect for.

Only those that actually need a Desktop for work and gaming will still continue to buy them.

Yeah, this pretty much.

I know a lot of people who used to very lightly use PC's and laptops, now moved onto tablets and smart phones for daily usage. And the only people who need more have a laptop or a full desktop PC - and a small portion of that is used for games.

Also, it's well known that sales for prebuilt PC's has dropped off dramatically for years. Its one of the contributing reasons why Intel, AMD and ather vendors are pursuing the mobile market. Though there will always be a space for desktop computers.