By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are desktop pc's becoming a thing of the past?

Raziel123 said:
oldschoolfool said:

I go to walmart and bestbuy all the time and there desktop section is really small nowadays. the majority of there inventory seems to be all in on pc's and laptops and tablets. Are all these mobile devices killing the traditional desktop Pc's? Hell,I'm typing on a desktop pc right now! Does anybody else out there,still have a non mobile pc? Just something I've been thinking about.

that's a good thing, nobody should go up and buy one of those...

build your own. or pick parts and have the store build it.

pre builts are awful.

well said well said.

Around the Network

DPC's may never die! i mean i love my desktop PC, even laptops can't reach its power and if they will one day they will run out of battery so fast lol, i love my Xperia Z2 but i will never even bother to watch a movie in there or visit VGC from there or game there! Consoles and desktops FTW!

Add me if u want :)

Nope.

Long slow death? This is relative so actual numbers could stay the same for PC as the whole market expands.

Casual users have left desktops. As others have said, the power in a laptop is good enough for word, excel and email. Now this covers 99% of business and has hurt business PC sales (though there will be sales of cheap desktops)

Actual casual users who don't understand keyboard shortcuts now do everything on tablets, which has again hurt proper laptop sales

But the hardcore users are still kind of there. Personally, I have a nice gaming PC (self built) and an ultrabook and I think it's a good mix. I'm most productive on a full desktop though, because everything is instant and I have a full sized keyboard and mouse, so it's a shame it's being abandoned by most

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:

I go to walmart and bestbuy all the time and there desktop section is really small nowadays. the majority of there inventory seems to be all in on pc's and laptops and tablets. Are all these mobile devices killing the traditional desktop Pc's? Hell,I'm typing on a desktop pc right now! Does anybody else out there,still have a non mobile pc? Just something I've been thinking about.

Pre built have a couple of years left at most as a combination of the small form factor and all in one's get cheaper and replace them in offices.

Self assembled and boutique builders are actually growing in sales so they won't ever disappear.

i never noticed, i always build my own.

not for me. it does what a tablet cant. which is about everything i do.

I think cloud will help desktops regain relevance.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I can only speak from personal opinion, but I don't own a PC for about 3 years already. Since my old one died, I never felt the need for a new one.
I do use one at work, where I do all my "serious" work, so maybe that's the reason.

For browsing and internet access to other stuff, I just use my Xperia Z1, but I also have an ASUS Transformer when I want to watch something or to download movies and series and watch them on my TV.

I doubt I'll purchase a PC for home use ever again...

They've been a thing of the past for a while now.

I am the Playstation Avenger.