By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 16th August HW up; + adjustments; PS4 at 9.9M

shit just got serious in this thread.

Around the Network
Zanten said:
waza2323 said:
NeoRatt said:

This is my ban rant!

I have to agree.  Gamers have bought into Sony's BS hook, line and sinker...  I have all three consoles this gen and PS4 is definately at the bottom of the list.

You know it is bad when games like The Last Guardian have been in development for over 5 years and Sony fanboys talk as if this has already shipped and it is the most epic game ever... Newsflash!  If I was given a few hundred million and 5 years to develop a game it would be even more epic!

The PS4 is full of hype and very short on substance.  95% of the Indie games are ports from other platforms.  There is only a few indie games that actually shipped first on PS4...  And last generation PS fans told XB fans that downloadable and indie games didn't count.  So, why do they suddenly count this generation then?  Right...  Because that's all PS4 fans have to brag about.

2014 timed console exclusives or full console exclusives (also remove ports from their PS3) is a few Indie games and inFamous SS and the new inFamous Stand alone DLC... Add to that DriveClub and LBP3 coming soon and you've summed up the PS4 lineup for 2014. 

Meanwhile MS brought PvZ Garden Warfare and Titanfall in winter/spring to Xbox gamers and are bringing Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, and Disney Fantasia Music Evolved for holiday 2014...  Not to mention a catch-up on Indie games, some Indie stuff of their own, and a bunch of downloadables such as Dance Central and XB1 gamers won't be posting on this site for months because they will be too busy playing games while Sony fanboys will live on this site through the holiday bragging about sales because they won't have any games to play.

To date, Sony has not shown any innovative gameplay this generation.   The games are all looking pretty but play pretty much the same as they did last generation.  Sony simply wants to keep your eye on shiny 1080p the rest of the generation and offer nothing new gameplay wise... (I would've said 60 fps, but we all know that inFamous and DriveClub aren't there).  Meanwhile on XB1, we have seen more zombies in DR3 than could ever have done before, Forza introduced Drivatars to the racing genre, and Titanfall combined the online FPS with Mechs.  Sony brought the "Share" function...

This site, like N4G, and many other so called "gaming media" sites have lost all objectivity and are purely a bunch of Sony fanboys now.  Anything MS does is bad, everything Sony does is thoughtful and for gamers.  I feel for both Nintendo and Microsoft.  Both started the generation shaky, but their games lineup is well above Sony's yet Sony keeps getting the sales.  There is no logic in this anymore, it is purely based on hype and momentum.  Gamers always talk about games always win... With Sony, this is completely untrue.  Nintendo ALWAYS has better and more exclusives than Sony.

Now, I am going to accept my ban on this site from the Sony fanboy owners/employees/mods here, and go back to playing games on my XB1 and Wii U... They will keep me busy through the fall/winter.  Meanwhile pathetic RecycleStation 4 owners will continue to visit this site everyday for the next 6 months talking about how great sales are.  Meanwhile XB1 and Nintendo gamers will be too busy playing games to visit this site this holiday season.  I feel sorry for how Sony fanboys have bought into the marketing BS.  It shows how gullable and pathetic they truely are.

This is partially true (although i do not condone the insults/name-calling in any ways) An excellent first impression and marketing have propelled Sony to dominance. It is the continued momentum and hype that people are continously buying into.

Everything Sony does is praised. When they screw gamers (like charging money for online which used to be free) it is ignored or Sony fans make excuses for them.

Everything Microsoft does is criticsized. Microsoft made many mistakes but has worked very hard over the last year to correct them. Every positive thing Microsoft has going for them is turned into a negative. It is sad to see the mob mentality still going strong 1 year later.

So much hate over MS getting Tomb Raider as a timed exclusive when Sony has a long history of doing the same. People have short memories. It seems everyone has forgotten Sony's E3 2006, the disastrous PS3 launch, the Playstation Network hacking scandal where financial and personal information was stolen and compromised. But I guess all that is forgiven now and Sony is your savior? Give it time, and you will see that Sony isn't your friend. They're a business just like MS, and will do whatever it takes to get the most money from you.

My response above is civil and does not include any name-calling or insults, so please do not try to tell me that my response is inapproprate. It is my opinion. Sony was very smart coming into this generation and learned from their mistakes and that is why they are dominating, however it does not mean this success is warranted compared to what the competitor's are offering.

I agree, momentum does have a big part to play in Sony's sales; while I do think it has more to offer (me personally) than the Xbox One, the sheer slaughter it is accomplishing is indicative of more faith in the brand than exists for the Xbox One.

However, what both you and the, er, more rant-y gentlemen also quoted here failed to consider was the impact of the late 360 generation; it sowed seeds of its own that the whole DRM thing only intensified. But- and this is the important thing- the sales momentum the 360 achieved, and the fact that people who only plan to really focus on one console are less likely to 'switch' mid-gen, unless their current console breaks, allowed it to continue a strong, steady presence, winning in the U.S. and U.K. despite falling asleep on the exclusives front during the later half of the generation. The DRM thing killed the Xbox brand's momentum, outright, obliterated the pure brand loyalty of most consumers (except those who were actually pleased with the original policies, or who were REALLY loyal to the point of pure fanboy/Sony hater.)

So, once the DRM was reversed, those who didn't feel any pressing attachment to the Xbox brand took a closer look at it, rather than just jumping to the Xbox One for no other reason than they'd owned an Xbox 360. Which led to such things as; '....well, now that we're on the subject, WHY does Microsoft have all those ads?' 'Why did they just give up on developing new IPs for the last few years?' 'Why the heck do I have to pay to use the friggin Internet?' 'Wait, why is Sony getting all the indie devs right now?' 'An extra hundred bucks for the Kinect? But I don't WANT the Kinect.' 'AWRIGHT, TITANFALL IS... also on 360? Oh, okay.'

All these little details, these little nitpicks that, prior to the DRM fiasco, gamers just kind of shrugged and put up with, cause Halo. But after they'd already been turned away by one BIG annoyance, many found themselves less tolerant of the many, many little ones that had clustered underfoot during the 360 generation. Which is why over the past number of months, Microsoft knocked down those irritations one by one. Indie policies absurd and restrictive? New indie policies ahoy! Paying to use the Internet ridiculous? Bye bye restrictive paywalling! Don't like Kinect? New SKU time!

However, simply removing reasons NOT to buy the console isn't enough. For every one unit of something negative you had, (even if you remove it,) you need to add two units of something positive, so that not only do you draw the consumer away from 'I don't want your product at all,' but you also draw them over to 'I want your product soon! =D '

I'm somewhat concerned that, if this thread is like this on a regular week like this...then what will happen on, say, Destiny week? Worrying stuff.

"Salt" comments aren't helping the situation either you know. Let's tone them down to zero from this point, please.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
I'm somewhat concerned that, if this thread is like this on a regular week like this...then what will happen on, say, Destiny week? Worrying stuff.

"Salt" comments aren't helping the situation either you know. Let's tone them down to zero from this point, please.

You shouldn't be worried about September. It will mean you can get naughty as much as you like

Also if everyone behaved you'de be out of a job!

Ka-pi96 said:
Conegamer said:

2 consoles will sell incredibly and there will be parties across VGC?

Sure, let's go with that.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:
Zanten said:

I agree, momentum does have a big part to play in Sony's sales; while I do think it has more to offer (me personally) than the Xbox One, the sheer slaughter it is accomplishing is indicative of more faith in the brand than exists for the Xbox One.

However, what both you and the, er, more rant-y gentlemen also quoted here failed to consider was the impact of the late 360 generation; it sowed seeds of its own that the whole DRM thing only intensified. But- and this is the important thing- the sales momentum the 360 achieved, and the fact that people who only plan to really focus on one console are less likely to 'switch' mid-gen, unless their current console breaks, allowed it to continue a strong, steady presence, winning in the U.S. and U.K. despite falling asleep on the exclusives front during the later half of the generation. The DRM thing killed the Xbox brand's momentum, outright, obliterated the pure brand loyalty of most consumers (except those who were actually pleased with the original policies, or who were REALLY loyal to the point of pure fanboy/Sony hater.)

So, once the DRM was reversed, those who didn't feel any pressing attachment to the Xbox brand took a closer look at it, rather than just jumping to the Xbox One for no other reason than they'd owned an Xbox 360. Which led to such things as; '....well, now that we're on the subject, WHY does Microsoft have all those ads?' 'Why did they just give up on developing new IPs for the last few years?' 'Why the heck do I have to pay to use the friggin Internet?' 'Wait, why is Sony getting all the indie devs right now?' 'An extra hundred bucks for the Kinect? But I don't WANT the Kinect.' 'AWRIGHT, TITANFALL IS... also on 360? Oh, okay.'

All these little details, these little nitpicks that, prior to the DRM fiasco, gamers just kind of shrugged and put up with, cause Halo. But after they'd already been turned away by one BIG annoyance, many found themselves less tolerant of the many, many little ones that had clustered underfoot during the 360 generation. Which is why over the past number of months, Microsoft knocked down those irritations one by one. Indie policies absurd and restrictive? New indie policies ahoy! Paying to use the Internet ridiculous? Bye bye restrictive paywalling! Don't like Kinect? New SKU time!

However, simply removing reasons NOT to buy the console isn't enough. For every one unit of something negative you had, (even if you remove it,) you need to add two units of something positive, so that not only do you draw the consumer away from 'I don't want your product at all,' but you also draw them over to 'I want your product soon! =D '

Which brings me to my subsequent post of 'Everyone keeps assuming that attributing sales to momentum and positive buzz is trying to say it is a bad thing or is intended as a criticism.' -_- For the love of God, it isn't.

This isn't me insisting that the sales of the PS4 are undeserved, on the contrary, my entire point is that the sales of both machines are being affected not only by what has occurred this generation, but also by what occurred last generation. Put simply, the PS3 did an fantastic job with the games, features, and other attributes during the last half of the generation, while the Xbox 360 basically took a big old snooze. People are simply more willing to trust that Sony will bring a worthwhile experience throughout the generation, because Sony has demonstrated that capability and intent to a far greater extent than Microsoft for the last four years. The sales of the PS4 are being aided by all the positive reviews, high quality titles, and excellent initiatives like PS+ that Sony made with the PS3, which generated lots of happy customers and glowing critiques; otherwise known as positive buzz.

The PS4 isn't winning because of some God given right. It's winning because Sony did lots and lots of cool and awesome things for the past three to four years, things that are finally bearing REAL fruit.

Hell, it's half the reason I have little interest in an Xbox One, and much interest in a PS4; my PS3 made me a VERY happy gamer, the 360... not as much.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Zanten said:
maverick40 said:
Zanten said:

Which brings me to my subsequent post of 'Everyone keeps assuming that attributing sales to momentum and positive buzz is trying to say it is a bad thing or is intended as a criticism.' -_- For the love of God, it isn't.

This isn't me insisting that the sales of the PS4 are undeserved, on the contrary, my entire point is that the sales of both machines are being affected not only by what has occurred this generation, but also by what occurred last generation. Put simply, the PS3 did an fantastic job with the games, features, and other attributes during the last half of the generation, while the Xbox 360 basically took a big old snooze. People are simply more willing to trust that Sony will bring a worthwhile experience throughout the generation, because Sony has demonstrated that capability and intent to a far greater extent than Microsoft for the last four years. The sales of the PS4 are being aided by all the positive reviews, high quality titles, and excellent initiatives like PS+ that Sony made with the PS3, which generated lots of happy customers and glowing critiques; otherwise known as positive buzz.

The PS4 isn't winning because of some God given right. It's winning because Sony did lots and lots of cool and awesome things for the past three to four years, things that are finally bearing REAL fruit.

Hell, it's half the reason I have little interest in an Xbox One, and much interest in a PS4; my PS3 made me a VERY happy gamer, the 360... not as much.

Completely agree. 

PS4 beasting as usual :) and Wii U yet again on top of Xbone!

Add me if u want :)

Mystro-Sama said:
3ds is raaaaaaping in Japan o.o

Well, it's not like it has any real competition in Japan, no?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

SMH, why is it still undertracked? It was at 10M before aug 16.

SMH