Forums - Sales Discussion - 16th August HW up; + adjustments; PS4 at 9.9M

3ds is raaaaaaping in Japan o.o

Around the Network

MK8's legs are amazing
Poor Xbox 1 almost selling like the PS3

CGI-Quality said:
Ninsect said:
Yafea said:
PS4 is on fire. It'll be around 12-15 million easily by the end of the year.

That's an understatement...

It's going to be close to 20m

Yep, 12 million will be here, as a bold predicition, by the end of September. I'm thinking between 18-to-20 million by Jan 1.

Christ, what did the Wii have in year 1?

waza2323 said:

Both systems have similar amount of blockbusters coming out starting in 2015, which is going to be a crazy year.

I agree with your post. You made some excellent points. It seems the roles are reversed this gen, compared to last gen. MS will have to win back the gamers trust, but it is going to take a long time and then people will eventually forget E3 2013 where MS shot themselves in the foot.

I personally feel like MS will launch the next xbox a year earlier than the next playstation. This strategy paid off extremely well with the Xbox 360 launching a year before the PS3. The 360 went on to steal marketshare and gamers away from PS. I feel like they will do so again next gen, because that is the best way for them to compete. Sony will not be in a rush to launch the PS5 early, because likely the PS4 will be selling very well for many years to come.

MS's problem is that they never really had gamer's trust. They benefited from a loss of faith in Sony, and then from the seemingly short lived motion control craze. But neither of those thing created any real commitment to the brand. Then there was the pre-launch alienation of consumers which damaged the brand. So now MS is looking more or less at sales around the level of XB1. But in reality with Sony carrying all the momentum into the generation from PS3 performance post 2009 and making an attractive console with PS4, Xb one was never going to be in a position to repeat Xb 360 sales. 

I hope Xbox fans realise this, and an Xbox turnaround does not mean selling 80 -90 million, but rather 50-60 million.

I'm heartily sick of people saying there are no games on PS4 to justify the sales so that means buyers are blind fanbase. Whether stated explicitly or not that is the meaning behind statements claiming the game library does not justify the sales. 

To those people who say their PS4 is gathering dust, why don't you trade it in? Surely you're not keeping it just to fill empty space. So I assume, like everyone else you bought it for one or two games that are already out, and the knowledge that PS4 will bring great games in the the next year or so. Anticipation of future reward and confidence in the quality of coming games is not "hype alone". 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ABTR said:
The ps4 on VG wil reach the 10m when xbone surpass the 10m! The 5m on China is coming

Why do people KEEP doing this, and assuming that a ban lifting and imposing a permitted allowance of 5 million, somehow means 5 million have, or will sell any time soon?

Do you think that china, of all places, are going to buy, in one month, as many consoles as america and the major countries in europe did in just under a year?

Around the Network

Have we ever had information about european sales from a source like npd or famitsu/mediacreate?

CGI-Quality said:

Yep, look at the transition to PS2 from PS1. A winning strategy that paid off twice. It was abandoned for the PS3 and, for the most part, picked back up for the PS4. Had they not made any mistakes before, I could see your point, but outside of pure speculation, there's no reason to assume they'd make all of those mistakes (or even similar ones) again, or that Microsoft won't attempt another move that will further turn off gamers, for that matter.

I think it's important to remember that, mistakes/advantages/etc aside, as far as worldwide sales goes, Every playstation home console has come out above every microsoft console.

PS2 outsold xbox, PS3 outsold xbox 360 (consistently enough to bridge the 1 year headstart), just as PS4 has and will continue to outsell the Xbox One.

If Microsoft can't, with their best hand (xbox 360), beat Sony with their worst hand (PS3), the chances of them beating them with the roles reversed are slim to none.

It's true the Xbox 360 gained a lot of marketshare and quite a few people switched to it as their primary console, but as much as people might not want to admit it, console loyalty is very much a minotiry group, the average gamer has no problems at all with switching to another platform, and hindsight has shown that PlayStation offers them the broadest range of games in a consoles lifespan of the three, while Nintendo is the best, and only place, to play Nintendo's own signature style of games.

Aside from the fans of a handful of franchises, it comes down to price and performance in multiplatform games, and for many that, combined with the initial nightmare reveal has more or less sealed the xbox ones fate.

CGI-Quality said:
Tamron said:
CGI-Quality said:

-snip

I think it's important to remember that, mistakes/advantages/etc aside, as far as worldwide sales goes, Every playstation home console has come out above every microsoft console.

PS2 outsold xbox, PS3 outsold xbox 360 (consistently enough to bridge the 1 year headstart), just as PS4 has and will continue to outsell the Xbox One.

If Microsoft can't, with their best hand (xbox 360), beat Sony with their worst hand (PS3), the chances of them beating them with the roles reversed are slim to none.

It's true the Xbox 360 gained a lot of marketshare and quite a few people switched to it as their primary console, but as much as people might not want to admit it, console loyalty is very much a minotiry group, the average gamer has no problems at all with switching to another platform, and hindsight has shown that PlayStation offers them the broadest range of games in a consoles lifespan of the three, while Nintendo is the best, and only place, to play Nintendo's own signature style of games.

Aside from the fans of a handful of franchises, it comes down to price and performance in multiplatform games, and for many that, combined with the initial nightmare reveal has more or less sealed the xbox ones fate.

I think this was meant for the poster above me, as this follows my sentiments.

nah was meant to you, just in agreement

FIT_Gamer said:
So much anger in this thread. I like.

The salt was nearly as epic as the sales! September will be godlike!

I love me some salt. It makes the performance even more grandiose!