By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [DF] Metro Redux: what it's really like to develop for PS4 and Xbox One

Lol. They mentioned naughty dogs poor port of the last of us. Yeah. These guys did a much better job. I guess naughty dog didn't put much effort in tlou ps4 port.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
walsufnir said:

For bandwidth: he said that the theoretical maximum can't always be achieved and of course this is true for every memory as it is for measuring TFlops. This is always under perfect circumstances and numbers given are always max values. Don't expect the PS4 constantly calculating at 1.8 TFlops. It is able to do so but won't in real life applications.

Overall his only statement of what you wanted to hear was "PS4 is just a bit more powerful.". Make of this what you want, he won't go deeper but I don't see why he would lie here given his openness in general (there were interviews with this guy before and he is a real tech guy who one would guess gives a sh** about who "wins").

Thats the thing though, first off we know that on a hardware level there really is no way that the PS4 is "just a bit more powerful". Don't wanna come off sounding anal here, but every single metric by which performance can be measured the PS4 has more of it. And not just slightly more but marginally more. Simple look at GPU compute units or ROP count will prove this. So I can't help but feel that though candid he was still somewhat talking tounge in check.

It doesn't help that right after saying the PS4 was "slightly more powerful" all he went on to talk about was how this or that is better on the PS4 and how MS have to or have been doing this or that to make things a little better on the XB1. Honestly, I don't really care for how much better the PS4 is to the XB1 as I already have a PS4 and it would make no real difference to me. I just wanna know what does what and why and how that is compared to the XB1.

I guess most people don't really care about the bits discussed in the interview and I guess even less understand what the guy is talking about. I guess many are just happy with the console they have, at least I hope so.

But still, not everything just adds up, as I said in my post, and perhaps in real life application it is "just a bit more powerful" but who knows? I am not a game dev and you are not so we are still left in darkness.

daredevil.shark said:

Lol. They mentioned naughty dogs poor port of the last of us. Yeah. These guys did a much better job. I guess naughty dog didn't put much effort in tlou ps4 port.

Nobody said "poor". Why do you do this?

daredevil.shark said:

lol do you seriously not understnad the differance between porting a pc game to PS4 and porting a PS3 one to PS4 ?

BeElite said:
daredevil.shark said:

lol do ytou seriopusly not understnad the differance between porting a pc game to PS4 and porting a PS3 one to PS4 ?

Perhaps he does but the interview could make us believe they ported from last gen to current gen.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
BeElite said:
daredevil.shark said:

lol do ytou seriopusly not understnad the differance between porting a pc game to PS4 and porting a PS3 one to PS4 ?

Perhaps he does but the interview could make us believe they ported from last gen to current gen.

and thats logical to you how ? hey with a limited budget small time frame lets take the most pain in the ass version and port it.... k

BeElite said:
walsufnir said:
BeElite said:
daredevil.shark said:

and thats logical to you how ? hey with a limited budget small time frame lets take the most pain in the ass version and port it.... k

I can only tell you what's in the interview. If you believe otherwise, ask the dev. I don't see much of an advantage porting from PC as the devkits from Sony and MS are most probably very advanced, offer tools for transition from old code and devs are used to them.

Logical speaking without knowing any details on the project is not the right way.

walsufnir said:

I can only tell you what's in the interview. If you believe otherwise, ask the dev. I don't see much of an advantage porting from PC as the devkits from Sony and MS are most probably very advanced, offer tools for transition from old code and devs are used to them.

Logical speaking without knowing any details on the project is not the right way.

U kidding right.

You know they had limited time with both dev kits, stands to reason plenty of their upgrading was done on pc and ported to consoles.  It would make no sense what so ever for them to start the upgrade with the pain in the ass PS3 version.

walsufnir said:

I guess most people don't really care about the bits discussed in the interview and I guess even less understand what the guy is talking about. I guess many are just happy with the console they have, at least I hope so.

But still, not everything just adds up, as I said in my post, and perhaps in real life application it is "just a bit more powerful" but who knows? I am not a game dev and you are not so we are still left in darkness.

Yeah, I guess so to. And yes, we are still in the dark. I just find it strange though.

Its not like we are talking about radically different hardware here. the only major differences are memory type, bandwidth and APIs. But at the heart of it both consoles are made from the exact same processor architecture. And this is whay i become slightly skeptic when I hear a dev somewhat downplay differences.

Just looking at the shader cores in the GPU; The XB1 has 12 GCN compute units. This is the heart of the GPU. The PS4 has 18 of the exact same GCN compute units. Thats 6 more GCN compute units than the XB1. To say that isn't a lot more would be like saying it would make no difference if instead of having 12 GCN cores the XB1 had 6. Half an orange more is exactly that, half an orange more.

BeElite said:
walsufnir said:

U kidding right.

You know they had limited time with both dev kits, stands to reason plenty of their upgrading was done on pc and ported to consoles.  It would make no sense what so ever for them to start the upgrade with the pain in the ass PS3 version.

Who said they started with the PS3 version?