By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [DF] Metro Redux: what it's really like to develop for PS4 and Xbox One

kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:

I guess most people don't really care about the bits discussed in the interview

You're one to talk.  You quoted everything that could be seen as downplaying the PS4 in a later comment.  But that seems the usual whenever you post anything Digital Foundry. 

Eh, no i didn't. I especially highlighted things that were discussed before, such as huma. I even posted the whole interview so that everyone can make up his mind.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:

You're one to talk.  You quoted everything that could be seen as downplaying the PS4 in a later comment.  But that seems the usual whenever you post anything Digital Foundry. 

Eh, no i didn't. I especially highlighted things that were discussed before, such as huma. I even posted the whole interview so that everyone can make up his mind.

The interview in your first post.  Your later comment though you quoted a few cherry picked comments for the Xbox One against PS4 and bolded them.  And what you quoted could have been read differently, but were more in light to the Xbox One.

kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:
kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:

The interview in your first post.  Your later comment though you quoted a few cherry picked comments for the Xbox One against PS4 and bolded them.  And what you quoted could have been read differently, but were more in light to the Xbox One.

So you either missed the points mentioning esram and draw calls intentionally or you didn't understand them?

Edit: i don't remember you accusing ethomaz when he did the same on df threads in favor of the other console? I think it's ok to cherry pick stuff that is of interest to the op. 

kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:
kupomogli said:
walsufnir said:

So, you only acept coments which say that the XOne is a piece of $#!% ?

The DF guy drove the enterview trying to highligt the problemas of console development and specialy what is different between both current gen consoles. It´s not any one fault if the developer said what he thinks and what his team faced.

You still have CBOAT to belive in.

walsufnir said:

So you either missed the points mentioning esram and draw calls intentionally or you didn't understand them?

Edit: i don't remember you accusing ethomaz when he did the same on df threads in favor of the other console? I think it's ok to cherry pick stuff that is of interest to the op. 

Why would anyone have to cherry pick for the PS4?  Everyone knows it's more powerful.

Around the Network

Solid-Stark said:

On that note, if we look at how games are performing, only multiplatform games seem to show a minor difference where as exclusives, in particular Infamous, have shown why it is not minor but clearly better. Why third party games show a minor difference is a topic that looks to go on a tangent.

Funny thing is, that minor difference is something that I believe is actually a compliment to the PS4. I personally believe that third party devs building a multiplatform game; work primarily on the XB1. It just makes more sense to do that and is exactly what I would do if I were them. Build the best game that I can make for the XB1 and rest easy in the knowlege that no matter what I do on the XB1 I would be able to port the game over to the PS4 and get an overall better running game.

After said port, thats when we see "natural" "tweak free" benefits like better resolution, higher texture detail and higher or more stable framerate. Those are benefits a dev should automatically get from simply taking a game from the XB1 over to the PS4 without any more special attention than is necesary.

pokoko said:

That was interesting.

What really kind of shocks me is the fact that, simply put, the PS4 shipped with better overall engineering than the Xbox One.  That doesn't seem like something that should happen.  This is Microsoft, a company with some of the best technical people in the world.  It makes me wonder if they had too many suits making decisions.  That, and Sony actually did a great job from that standpoint for a change.

That Microsoft was capable of better from the start is made even more obvious by how quickly they're improving their XDKs.  Perhaps it just shows that they weren't ready to launch the Xbox One.  Those DX11 work-arounds should have been there from the first--that, or DX11 should not have been there at all.  Maybe they thought DX12 would be ready sooner.

It's just odd to me that Microsoft bungled in so many areas at launch when they are clearly capable of better.

Also, something I think many people really need to get into their heads is this:

"Well obviously they aren't packing the bleeding edge hardware you can buy for PC (albeit for insane amounts of money) today. But they are relatively well-balanced pieces of hardware that are well above what most people have right now, performance-wise. And let's not forget that programming close to the metal will usually mean that we can get 2x performance gain over the equivalent PC spec."

Anyone out there who thinks that most PC gamers have machines that blow away the XO/PS4, they need to read that.

Only time will tell, so far multiplats on PCs with similar GPUs to the PS4 (7870) run better on PC than on PS4. Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs come to mind.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

very interesting article...