By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One To Catch Playstation 4 In Consoles Sold Worldwide Because of America By Holiday 2016.

Jega said:

If GTA 6 is anounced as a PS4 exclusive. Many people will Hype it to death just because it is only on the PS4.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of 3rd party IP going exclusive anymore.  I didn't get mirror's edge because it had PS exclusive content.  I figure if a company like Sony/MS/Nintendo value a dev/franchise that much, bite the bullet and bring them into the fold (aka 1st party).  Now that GTA is a MP franchise, I feel that going exclusive would be a huge slap in the face to a very large portion of gamers, as much as the timed exclusivity that consoles get over PC for this particular franchise.  And believe it or not, I have zero problems waiting for a game like GTA to hit the bargain bin to show my displeasure with those policies.

Granted, my personal stubbornness and view on the industry is pretty much meaningless.  If I choose to forgo a title for whatever reason, there really are millions out there waiting to line up to get it.  But, as long as I'm sticking to my principles, I guess that's a small victory for me heh. :)

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Sigh, another silly prediction for fame, these are not funny anymore, yours isn't even outrageous enough to warrant tagging it for later.

X1 passing PS4 in 2016 WW aint outlandish?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mornelithe said:
Jega said:

If GTA 6 is anounced as a PS4 exclusive. Many people will Hype it to death just because it is only on the PS4.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of 3rd party IP going exclusive anymore.  I didn't get mirror's edge because it had PS exclusive content.  I figure if a company like Sony/MS/Nintendo value a dev/franchise that much, bite the bullet and bring them into the fold (aka 1st party).  Now that GTA is a MP franchise, I feel that going exclusive would be a huge slap in the face to a very large portion of gamers, as much as the timed exclusivity that consoles get over PC for this particular franchise.  And believe it or not, I have zero problems waiting for a game like GTA to hit the bargain bin to show my displeasure with those policies.

Granted, my personal stubbornness and view on the industry is pretty much meaningless.  If I choose to forgo a title for whatever reason, there really are millions out there waiting to line up to get it.  But, as long as I'm sticking to my principles, I guess that's a small victory for me heh. :)

GTA were exclusive to ps. But if gone MP should stay like it unless only one platform is severely dominating the market.

I like your stubbordness. I'm like that as well. Worst situation you saved a lot of money and douchebag company won't profit on you. Other people is free to do whatever sillyness they decide.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jega said:

The Next thing to consider is that the rise of the tomb raider might end up looking very realistic.

From the tech I hear they are putting into that game.

A very realistic looking game could send the franchise to unprecedented levels of sales.

And then market the heck out of it. It could be something really big,

Like I said time will tell.

Maybe you should consider everything you post not only works for the other side to, it barely constitutes as an argument.  

Maybe Uncharted4 will be uber super ultra realstic so much people will mistake it for Camrons avatar 2 and sale 100m units and gross billions.

only time will tell.

DonFerrari said:
mornelithe said:
Jega said:

GTA were exclusive to ps. But if gone MP should stay like it unless only one platform is severely dominating the market.

I like your stubbordness. I'm like that as well. Worst situation you saved a lot of money and douchebag company won't profit on you. Other people is free to do whatever sillyness they decide.

On console, yes (it was released to PC while PS exclusive so I don't really consider the franchise to have been exclusive at that time).  However, the keyword is were.  It isn't any longer, and honestly shouldn't go back to exclusivity.  I would honestly be pissed if they went back to jerking half their fanbase around again, regardless of whether that exclusivity was for PS4 or XB1 (obv won't be PC excl. , they love to jerk us around).

Well, even if the PS4 continues to severly dominate, the XB1 I feel will still sell enough to warrant a release on that platform, especially given how alike the architecture is (so ports aren't as difficult anymore).  It may take them a bit longer to tweak the code to work properly with XB1's RAM solution, but it's still much, much easier to port from PS4 to XB1 than PS3 to 360 or vice versa.

Around the Network

Surface bombed because of it's price, and the fact that they are competing in a heavily contested market against Apple and several Android manufacturers. They at least have a foothold in games since Xbox is a popular brand. Tablets? Not until they release a budget tablet, and Windows 7/8 against iOS and Android doesn't exactly help that, and they have poured money into it. Azure? I don't know why that failed.

What is your measurement of success with the original Xbox? They at the very least grew it into a major brand amongst the mainstream in the face of Sony domination, something that Sega and Nintendo couldn't do. 

No, Surface bombed because they introduced an inferior tablet (compared to iPad or Android) that was incompatible with regular Windows, even though it had the Windows branding.  They didn't do enough to explain to customers the difference between Surface RT and Pro, either...and the "Pro" models were indeed overpriced compared to other comparable laptops.

As usual, Microsoft pushed the MARKETING over the actual product design...see also Kin, Zune, Windows Phone....and pretty much every other consumer electronics hardware that MS has ever produced.

BeElite said:
Jega said:

The Next thing to consider is that the rise of the tomb raider might end up looking very realistic.

From the tech I hear they are putting into that game.

A very realistic looking game could send the franchise to unprecedented levels of sales.

And then market the heck out of it. It could be something really big,

Like I said time will tell.

Maybe you should consider everything you post not only works for the other side to, it barely constitutes as an argument.  

Maybe Uncharted4 will be uber super ultra realstic so much people will mistake it for Camrons avatar 2 and sale 100m units and gross billions.

only time will tell.

Well Phil Spencer said this was there way of competing against uncharted 4 so time will tell which on looks more realistic.

Uncharted 4 will indeed be a looker.

But which game will look more realistic.

Time will tell.

IamAwsome said:
DonFerrari said:

Where were those methods when surface, azzure and Xbox original bombed?

Surface bombed because of it's price, and the fact that they are competing in a heavily contested market against Apple and several Android manufacturers. They at least have a foothold in games since Xbox is a popular brand. Tablets? Not until they release a budget tablet, and Windows 7/8 against iOS and Android doesn't exactly help that, and they have poured money into it. Azure? I don't know why that failed.

What is your measurement of success with the original Xbox? They at the very least grew it into a major brand amongst the mainstream in the face of Sony domination, something that Sega and Nintendo couldn't do. 

Well, actually, the Xbox 360 was what built the major brand; the original Xbox was a financial flop, losing the company billions, and achieved about twenty four million units by the end of its generation, which was a fifth of its direct competitor the PS2, and a quarter of Sony's first-effort with the original Playstation. Heck, it only outsold the Gamecube by a couple of million, and part of the reason they got such an early start on the next gen was they wanted to move away from the original Xbox platform's money-burning ways as quickly as possible. The only really notable success, from a sales standpoint, the Xbox platform achieved occured after the launch of the Xbox 360, and was helped not only by the fact that they got an early start, but by the fact that their direct competitor basically kneecapped themselves in many, many ways.

Which brings us to a point Jega himself made; the PS2 had a MASSIVE amount of marketshare in its heydey, but it didn't keep the PS3 from getting its butt kicked when the seventh began. Sure, it eventually caught up to the Xbox 360, but if you compare it to its predecessor, the PS2, Sony lost a GREAT deal of territory in the seventh generation, territory it never fully recovered. While the Xbox platform, by contrast, gained a massive windfall due in part to Sony's idiocy; not that Microsoft didn't release a great console, but it helped that the PS3 was ludicrously inadequate in the opening years.

Bottom line, Microsoft did really, really unpopular things before and immediately after the Xbox One's launch. Several of their exclusives at the moment looked primed to go to PC as well, minimizing their effect at actually moving consoles. When it comes to multiplatform performance, the best they seem to get is 'Equal To The PS4,' and it hasn't even been a consistent thing. In terms of price, at the moment it is, at best, 'Equal To The PS4.' Launch time, at best, 'Equal To The PS4,' with a ten month disadvantage in secondary markets that Sony has a brand advantage in anyway. Last gen performance, at best, 'Equal To The PS3,' even with all the advantages they enjoyed last gen.

If Sony's mistakes last gen cost them marketshare, I'm failing to see why the assumption is that the Xbox platform will be completely unaffected by their mistakes. o.O

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

I love this kind of threads. It's always like the only console having big releases in 2015-2015 is the Xbox One.
Also, 50% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3. So there are also a lot of PS fans waiting to buy the console. And guess what, they aren't only from Europe/Japan.

The Order, Bloodborne, No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4, Guerrilla's new IP, SSM's next game, Quantic Dream is also working on a new IP, etc...
You shouldn't forget about these ones.

Also, multiplat games sell PS4. Just look at Destiny: exclusive marketing/bundle, and one of the most hyped game since a long time. It will move a LOT of consoles.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Zanten said:
IamAwsome said:
DonFerrari said:

Where were those methods when surface, azzure and Xbox original bombed?

Well, actually, the Xbox 360 was what built the major brand; the original Xbox was a financial flop, losing the company billions, and achieved about twenty four million units by the end of its generation, which was a fifth of its direct competitor the PS2, and a quarter of Sony's first-effort with the original Playstation. Heck, it only outsold the Gamecube by a couple of million, and part of the reason they got such an early start on the next gen was they wanted to move away from the original Xbox platform's money-burning ways as quickly as possible. The only really notable success, from a sales standpoint, the Xbox platform achieved occured after the launch of the Xbox 360, and was helped not only by the fact that they got an early start, but by the fact that their direct competitor basically kneecapped themselves in many, many ways.

Which brings us to a point Jega himself made; the PS2 had a MASSIVE amount of marketshare in its heydey, but it didn't keep the PS3 from getting its butt kicked when the seventh began. Sure, it eventually caught up to the Xbox 360, but if you compare it to its predecessor, the PS2, Sony lost a GREAT deal of territory in the seventh generation, territory it never fully recovered. While the Xbox platform, by contrast, gained a massive windfall due in part to Sony's idiocy; not that Microsoft didn't release a great console, but it helped that the PS3 was ludicrously inadequate in the opening years.

Bottom line, Microsoft did really, really unpopular things before and immediately after the Xbox One's launch. Several of their exclusives at the moment looked primed to go to PC as well, minimizing their effect at actually moving consoles. When it comes to multiplatform performance, the best they seem to get is 'Equal To The PS4,' and it hasn't even been a consistent thing. In terms of price, at the moment it is, at best, 'Equal To The PS4.' Launch time, at best, 'Equal To The PS4,' with a ten month disadvantage in secondary markets that Sony has a brand advantage in anyway. Last gen performance, at best, 'Equal To The PS3,' even with all the advantages they enjoyed last gen.

If Sony's mistakes last gen cost them marketshare, I'm failing to see why the assumption is that the Xbox platform will be completely unaffected by their mistakes. o.O

Wow another good post. Even better than the last one you posted.

This man deserves applause.