By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One To Catch Playstation 4 In Consoles Sold Worldwide Because of America By Holiday 2016.

Jega said:
Zanten said:
IamAwsome said:
BeElite said:

Same old list and ?? you forget PS has doubly the big franchises to throw at them

No they realisticaly dont, they will not buy them selves out if it thought many one here fail to understand.  Ms is a business and they are in it to make $ not full fill fanboyish dreams of fighting sony and PS and beating them at massive finencial cost.  

And i ment making its release numbers irrelevent, but yes eventulally even the whoel console as a whole.

Microsoft is investing in new 1st party content as well. 

Yes they do have methods to get out. Does the Tomb Raider deal ring a bell? Call it controversial, anti-gamer, or whatever, but Microsoft can leverage things like that to sell consoles. Yes they want to make money, but why would they compete (and invest so much) if they weren't in it to win?

The thing is, as far as the global market goes, this prediction coming true would require Microsoft to dominte the U.S. market even more than the 360 did, since by what little info we have, the Xbox One is doing even more poorly in Europe than its predecessor did. Sure, Microsoft might invest in new 1st party content on a regular basis (which would be a pretty big change to their somewhat stale attitude during the last half of the 360 generation, but since they're losing, they might indeed make more effort now,) equal out the price, etc, etc... I don't even think that them achieving a parity, or lead, in the U.S. is out of the question, given Halo, CoD, etc, etc appeals greatly in North America and the U.K. But extending that to insist it will have even the SAME level of dominance in the U.S. that the Xbox 360 did is stretching things, because they're not launching from anywhere near the position of strength they had last gen, and Sony isn't launching from anywhere near the position of weakness they had with the PS3.

And, as said before, to catch up globally, they are going to need to be even MORE dominant this generation, in the U.S., than they were last generation.

No they do not have to do better than the Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 has outsold the PS3 by 15 million units in the us.

The PS4 just have a 4 million lead on the Xbox One.

If Sony had at least a 7 Million lead I wouldn't think a comback would be possible. 

But a 4 million lead is definetly possible to catch.

and I didn't say by this year or next year. I said holiday 2016.

I don't think I am being unrealistic.

But the thing is, it isn't about raw numbers, it's about sales ratios; right now, the sales between the two are close enough, in the U.S., for the Xbox One to start closing the gap if a fortuitous circumstance leads to a sale boost that is not reflected in the PS4. The reason is that the Xbox One, relatively speaking, doesn't need that BIG of a boost in the U.S. to start pushing higher numbers in that territory on a month-by-month basis. However, the question becomes 'how much of a month-by-month lead will they have?'

Even if the Xbox One does outsell the PS4 in the holiday months, in the U.S., there's no guarantee they'll do it by the 700+ thousand units needed just to catch up... (After Destiny launches, that gap is proooobably going to get even bigger. =P ) Both sides sold VERY well last holiday, in the case of the PS4 sold out all but completely, so the Xbox One getting a 700k lead during the holidays requires not just them to sell well, but the PS4 to sell poorly.

And considering the PS4 has Bloodborne, The Order, etc coming in the first half of 2015, the PS4's lead is likely to start growing again after the 2014 holidays, because you've said 'games sell hardware,' and the PS4 has more games coming in early 2015. If the PS4 continues to outsell it during the other 9 months of the year- and I can't see why it wouldn't outside of the holidays, given next year's lineup- then at best we might see the Xbox One and PS4 leapfrogging each other, with neither side gaining a solid lead in the U.S, for years. And this only assumes the Xbox One DOES outsell them in the holidays, which we can't say for certain since last holidays saw supply shortages on both sides.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
IamAwsome said:

Yes they do have methods to get out. Does the Tomb Raider deal ring a bell? Call it controversial, anti-gamer, or whatever, but Microsoft can leverage things like that to sell consoles. Yes they want to make money, but why would they compete (and invest so much) if they weren't in it to win?

I'm not entirely sure TR counts as a system seller, I consider it more of a depth franchise, than the star of a library (It's popularity kind of plummeted between TR3-TR2013, the new one was a step in the right direction sure, but they just kneecapped its revival, imo).  And I think once holiday 2015 rolls around and people start seeing 'Only on Xbox One', attached to a franchise that's been on Sony's consoles for the past 18 years, isn't going to have the desired effect CD/MS are looking for.

Good luck to 'em though, not sure the logic behind cutting out your biggest fanbase for a timed period, especially when your previous game underperformed (according to CD).

I just had a thought on that would the new uncharted game have the same hype behind it if it was a multiplatform title.

I don't think so. It would sell more units than if it was just on PS4, but the hype would not be the same.

Same for Bloodbourne, I don't think some people would be talking about that game so much if it was also coming to the Xbox One.

So with Microsoft help. I think CD thinks the game will get more hype behind it as an exclusive and make tomb raider even more 

popular.  If the last TR game sold like 5 million across multiple platforms. Maybe CD thinks if marketed well it could sell maybe 5 million

as a Xbox exclusive game. Notice it is being released on Xbox One and Xbox 360. So now imagine it sells 7million or 8 million on those

consoles alone. And then later on release it for PS4 and PC. It would sell even more copies.

Time will tell if that strategy will work.

mornelithe said:
IamAwsome said:

I'm not entirely sure TR counts as a system seller, I consider it more of a depth franchise, than the star of a library (It's popularity kind of plummeted between TR3-TR2013, the new one was a step in the right direction sure, but they just kneecapped its revival, imo).  And I think once holiday 2015 rolls around and people start seeing 'Only on Xbox One', attached to a franchise that's been on Sony's consoles for the past 18 years, isn't going to have the desired effect CD/MS are looking for.

Good luck to 'em though, not sure the logic behind cutting out your biggest fanbase for a timed period, especially when your previous game underperformed (according to CD).

I just had a thought on that would the new uncharted game have the same hype behind it if it was a multiplatform title.

I don't think so. It would sell more units than if it was just on PS4, but the hype would not be the same.

Same for Bloodbourne, I don't think some people would be talking about that game so much if it was also coming to the Xbox One.

So with Microsoft help. I think CD thinks the game will get more hype behind it as an exclusive and make tomb raider even more 

popular.  If the last TR game sold like 5 million across multiple platforms. Maybe CD thinks if marketed well it could sell maybe 5 million

as a Xbox exclusive game. Notice it is being released on Xbox One and Xbox 360. So now imagine it sells 7million or 8 million on those

consoles alone. And then later on release it for PS4 and PC. It would sell even more copies.

IamAwsome said:
BeElite said:
IamAwsome said:

Being made irrelevant overall?? Not really because games like Quantum Break, Halo, and the new Gears of War haven't gotten here yet, and other third party deals that Microsoft may/may not unleash. Believe me, Microsoft knows that they are in the hole, and they have methods to get out. 

Same old list and ?? you forget PS has doubly the big franchises to throw at them

No they realisticaly dont, they will not buy them selves out if it thought many one here fail to understand.  Ms is a business and they are in it to make $ not full fill fanboyish dreams of fighting sony and PS and beating them at massive finencial cost.  

And i ment making its release numbers irrelevent, but yes eventulally even the whoel console as a whole.

Yahh and it takes years to get something out of it, sony is way ahead of them in that dept.

TR is a timed exclusive nothing more.  MS cant afford to buy exclusves, PS4 is selling to damn well.  The compensation would be to great, was far easier and cheaper getting them last gen with a lead and good sales.  Both thing x1 lacks now. 

DonFerrari said:
IamAwsome said:
BeElite said:
IamAwsome said:

Being made irrelevant overall?? Not really because games like Quantum Break, Halo, and the new Gears of War haven't gotten here yet, and other third party deals that Microsoft may/may not unleash. Believe me, Microsoft knows that they are in the hole, and they have methods to get out. 

Where were those methods when surface, azzure and Xbox original bombed?

Surface bombed because of it's price, and the fact that they are competing in a heavily contested market against Apple and several Android manufacturers. They at least have a foothold in games since Xbox is a popular brand. Tablets? Not until they release a budget tablet, and Windows 7/8 against iOS and Android doesn't exactly help that, and they have poured money into it. Azure? I don't know why that failed.

What is your measurement of success with the original Xbox? They at the very least grew it into a major brand amongst the mainstream in the face of Sony domination, something that Sega and Nintendo couldn't do. 

Around the Network
Zanten said:
Jega said:
Zanten said:
IamAwsome said:
BeElite said:

The thing is, as far as the global market goes, this prediction coming true would require Microsoft to dominte the U.S. market even more than the 360 did, since by what little info we have, the Xbox One is doing even more poorly in Europe than its predecessor did. Sure, Microsoft might invest in new 1st party content on a regular basis (which would be a pretty big change to their somewhat stale attitude during the last half of the 360 generation, but since they're losing, they might indeed make more effort now,) equal out the price, etc, etc... I don't even think that them achieving a parity, or lead, in the U.S. is out of the question, given Halo, CoD, etc, etc appeals greatly in North America and the U.K. But extending that to insist it will have even the SAME level of dominance in the U.S. that the Xbox 360 did is stretching things, because they're not launching from anywhere near the position of strength they had last gen, and Sony isn't launching from anywhere near the position of weakness they had with the PS3.

And, as said before, to catch up globally, they are going to need to be even MORE dominant this generation, in the U.S., than they were last generation.

No they do not have to do better than the Xbox 360, the Xbox 360 has outsold the PS3 by 15 million units in the us.

The PS4 just have a 4 million lead on the Xbox One.

If Sony had at least a 7 Million lead I wouldn't think a comback would be possible. 

But a 4 million lead is definetly possible to catch.

and I didn't say by this year or next year. I said holiday 2016.

I don't think I am being unrealistic.

But the thing is, it isn't about raw numbers, it's about sales ratios; right now, the sales between the two are close enough, in the U.S., for the Xbox One to start closing the gap if a fortuitous circumstance leads to a sale boost that is not reflected in the PS4. The reason is that the Xbox One, relatively speaking, doesn't need that BIG of a boost in the U.S. to start pushing higher numbers in that territory on a month-by-month basis. However, the question becomes 'how much of a month-by-month lead will they have?'

Even if the Xbox One does outsell the PS4 in the holiday months, in the U.S., there's no guarantee they'll do it by the 700+ thousand units needed just to catch up... (After Destiny launches, that gap is proooobably going to get even bigger. =P ) Both sides sold VERY well last holiday, in the case of the PS4 sold out all but completely, so the Xbox One getting a 700k lead during the holidays requires not just them to sell well, but the PS4 to sell poorly.

And considering the PS4 has Bloodborne, The Order, etc coming in the first half of 2015, the PS4's lead is likely to start growing again after the 2014 holidays, because you've said 'games sell hardware,' and the PS4 has more games coming in early 2015. If the PS4 continues to outsell it during the other 9 months of the year- and I can't see why it wouldn't outside of the holidays, given next year's lineup- then at best we might see the Xbox One and PS4 leapfrogging each other, with neither side gaining a solid lead in the U.S, for years. And this only assumes the Xbox One DOES outsell them in the holidays, which we can't say for certain since last holidays saw supply shortages on both sides.

What you said can happen as well. Thanks for posting this.

Jega said:

I just had a thought on that would the new uncharted game have the same hype behind it if it was a multiplatform title. Invalid comparison, ND's a first party studio.  It simply won't be multiplatform.

Same for Bloodbourne, I don't think some people would be talking about that game so much if it was also coming to the Xbox One.  Then you aren't familiar with the following of the Souls games.  It's been a pretty well received multi-plat franchise.

So with Microsoft help. I think CD thinks the game will get more hype behind it as an exclusive and make tomb raider even more It's not exclusive, it's timed exclusive, and everyone knows that at this point.  The hype was deflated before it even began.

as a Xbox exclusive game. Notice it is being released on Xbox One and Xbox 360. So now imagine it sells 7million or 8 on those

Time will tell if that strategy will work.  Sorry, I just think that's an absurd bit of logic.  TR2013 sold more on the PS3/PS4.  Cutting out your biggest fanbase from the initial release does nothing but piss off those fans.  And assuming that it'll push 2-3 million more units, while being available on 93.2m less consoles (That'll very likely be over 100m, by the time Holiday 2015 rolls around) doesn't seem to jive.

Jega said:

Does GTA lack hype casue its multi no great games is great games.  Your just using foolish fanboyism to argue a pointless point.

CD has shit all to say in the matter, SE calls the shots.  SE got MS to pay then enough top compensate for the obviously lower sales TR will get by being TIMED exclusve worth it to them.  MS casue they lack 1st party went out and payed for a TIMED exclusve in an attempt to better compete with sony.  

7/8m on 360/X1 LOL those are some seriouly big dreams.  

Jega said:
Zanten said:

What you said can happen as well. Thanks for posting this.

You're welcome. ^_^

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

I hope they do, we need as much competiton as possible. I want all companies to geta kick up the ass and really go for it this gen.