By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Don't Bet Against Nintendo, Amiibo Could Be a Big Hit, GameStop Says

amiibo...

Skylanders is a success because it launched on platforms with large install base.  The limit here is going to be Wii U's small install base IMO.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

While I'm not sure of the effect Amiibo will have on a large scale, I'm stupidly going to throw tons of money at Nintendo because I have a weakness for gaming and anime merchandise.

I don't really like this amiibo business. Can someone clarify if I'm wrong but it unlocks parts of games with figurines? So basically parts of my games will be behind a pay wall? Then again I neve rocked Skylanders

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Amiibos don't unlock parts of the game. They are just like additional DLC to existing complete games that have a physical toy also.

I'm going to buy Amiibos, but without a core game I think sales are going to be stunted. If the Wii/WiiU name was confusing to consumers, I think Amiibo's are going to melt their brains. I think a lot of that pitfall can be avoided if they make a big box version of Smash with included Amiibos.

My amiibo's will be 99% collective! =D

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
Viper1 said:
WagnerPaiva said:
So this means the margin profits will be huge. I myself thought about 1000% for each (retailer and Nintendo):
Miboo cost: 1 dollar.
Nintendo margin: 10 dollars
Retailer margin: 10 dollars.
Taxes: 5 dollars.
End price: 26 dollars.

That means huge profit indeed, even with low sales. Like, with 2 million adopters buying an average of 5 figurines, this would mean 100 million profit for each set, with no costs attached (meaning, developing, since it is not a game).

$5 in taxes?   Just how bad is it in Brazil?    On a $21 dollar item in the US, taxes would be about $1.50-1.80 (depending on the state you live in).

Amiibo could be the driving force to put the Wii U into big sales.  If Dinsey Infinity and Skylanders can get as big as they did, Nintendo has it made.

I agree, this will be so huge that I think Sony will do a similar line of figurines right after it, with Drake, Helgast, Kat and the whole gang...

Here in Brazil taxes can get to 80% in some products. It does change from product to product, like, beer has 40% taxes, some washing machines have 12% and so on... It is a big mess.

Specilly in toys, the taxes are pretty big(this is why videogames are expensive here, too, because the gov classify then as toys instead of software).

Look:

Source: Folha de São Paulo

As you can see, there is more tax incident on videogames than in fire weapons(armas de fogo). We lose only for cigarrettes.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Amiibo will be a hit. To think that it will be used in the upcoming "Super Smash Bros" to unlock new characters makes it already a success.

They already bet against Nintendo. Wii U isn't even in their top bar menu for quick access (well at least in AUS).

It won't.

Amiibo might pan out as a profitable concept, but a "hit?" I don't see that happening.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

celador said:
Perhaps they know something we don't

Nah, our friend would problebly alreadly told us if he acknowledge something.

For me, i see amiibo having sucess. I just don't believe that it can drag wiiu with it. I can see a lot of people buying amiibo and ignoring all nintendo hardware.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko