By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox boss Phil Spencer says Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusivity Is A Win/Win, Not An Attack On PlayStation Players

Dont care my Wallet talk.
I buy games I like

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Saeko said:

square enix win big $ to help their studio,

Square is talking a huge risk here.

i know, i am not happy with square enix, but well this could turn good for them we wont know for now ^^

Geez it's a timed exclusive deal, by now everyone should be used to it from MicroSony, and they should be used to the distancing and non-descriptive PR bullshit that comes with them from MicroSony.

It is a win/win for MS and Square. It's a loss/loss for PC/Playstation gamers but why should Phil give two shits about them?

I get the opinion that anyone who planned to buy this game for the PS3/4 can't do that now. But, how do you know that you could buy it before?

SE announced a sequel long ago. They also announced that the sales of the first didn't meet expectations. Based on the information that Phil gave out in this interview, it seems clear the SE was looking for a partner to mitigate the costs of the development of this game. They offered it to probably everyone, and M$ took the deal. If Sony took the deal, then the game would not have been made for the XB1/360. The game is over a year from releasing now, and this deal could have been done a few months ago. How do we know that the core of the game was all that was complete and the optimization for any particular system was yet to be done?

SE obviously needed some type of deal for the sequel to be made and they got it. Will it ever release on the PS4/PS3? maybe some day. The cost to take a fully developed game designed on the x86 platform for this now current generation can't be all that high if they want to release it on the PS4 at some point. My guess is at least a year of exclusivety at the most.

My point is that the Sony gamers were not harmed as far as we know. They may have even been helped by M$.

It is near the end of the end....

LudicrousSpeed said:
Geez it's a timed exclusive deal, by now everyone should be used to it from MicroSony, and they should be used to the distancing and non-descriptive PR bullshit that comes with them from MicroSony.

It is a win/win for MS and Square. It's a loss/loss for PC/Playstation gamers but why should Phil give two shits about them?

because pissing off gamers is a great why to alienate your potential customer base?   aren't we all watching the results of how pissing off gamers effects your ability to sell consoles over these last few months?  this just contributes to the bad reputation ms has with gamers and in the end does more harm than good. 

they are just compounding the perception that:

xbox get's exclusives,.. for a bit before going multiplat. 

xbox get's exclusives,.. for the first year or two then ms stops trying.

Around the Network

Tomb Raider Drama appart, what SE should be looking for isn't deal to fund their games but means to improve the development of their games, Tomb Raider 2013 being a 100m project is quite ridiculous, the fact that all their games struggle to make profit is impressive, in a bad way.

Ivankov said:
Tomb Raider Drama appart, what SE should be looking for isn't deal to fund their games but means to improve the development of their games, Tomb Raider 2013 being a 100m project is quite ridiculous, the fact that all their games struggle to make profit is impressive, in a bad way.

The japanese divisions should indeed improve their dev cycles, not so much Crystal dynamics. The fact they were not pleased with the sales of TR (pre def edition by the way) implies more like they were planing to file holes in other departments with those profits.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Geez it's a timed exclusive deal, by now everyone should be used to it from MicroSony 

Classic. if MS does something questionable suddenly they are teamed together.

It's indeed a win win for Microsoft and Square Enix.

It's a lose lose for gamers from MS and Sony consoles. ( less for the last ones since they just have to wait to get the goty)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

He may not see it as an attack but longtime Tomb Raider fans on PC/PS do. You know the platforms where TR sells more?

Aerys said:
It's indeed a win win for Microsoft and Square Enix.

It's a lose lose for gamers from MS and Sony consoles. ( less for the last ones since they just have to wait to get the goty)

How on earth is it a win for SE when most copies were sold on the PS.

It's a risk that has gone south already, I bet they never imagined this feedback from the fans.