By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii platinum sellers watch

Oh this is great news, thanks for the heads up Zucas. And with Americas sales coming in this week, we should see at least two titles hit the million mark (Tiger 09 and World at War. Maybe even Endless Ocean...).

*goes to update Nintendomination thread*

Around the Network

And with the updates, 360 actually lost some million-sellers. 360 was ahead by 23 (64 to 41), now its quickly down to 16 (60 to 44).

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

One question..
What you Zucas mean about placement holder..

Thanks for answering

Kihniö said:
One question..
What you Zucas mean about placement holder..

Thanks for answering

Meaning we still aren't tracking those games on a weekly basis in the others section.  But now they have sales data available when you go to the game's database and look at others sales.  Thus its a placement holder because the sales have been placed in their but they aren't final as things sell infinitely not at stricted intervals.

is the million sellers just according to VCchartz because When I was reading IGN's updates of Iwata speaking at GDC I saw this (important part is bolded and underlined):

9:47 a.m.: Manufactures of game hardware must help build the hardware installed base so there will be a better chance for all developers to sell their games. "With Wii, we took this responsibility very seriously." That's why so many big franchises all appeared with 18 months and the VC was designed to operate as the same kind of attraction. "We used these tools to build our installed base and because of this we are expanding the ability of everyone to sell software." Last year in the U.S., according to NPD, more third-party games were sold on Wii than any other platform. So far in the U.S., 75 third-party games for Wii have sold through one million units. "Let me offer another example of growing development opportunity." Shows Wii Balance Board, which has sold almost 15 million units around the world.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

Around the Network

Um COD:WaW is listed at 430k here on page 1, its at .99m on the site. Its about to hit Platinum

Tecmo said:

is the million sellers just according to VCchartz because When I was reading IGN's updates of Iwata speaking at GDC I saw this (important part is bolded and underlined):

9:47 a.m.: Manufactures of game hardware must help build the hardware installed base so there will be a better chance for all developers to sell their games. "With Wii, we took this responsibility very seriously." That's why so many big franchises all appeared with 18 months and the VC was designed to operate as the same kind of attraction. "We used these tools to build our installed base and because of this we are expanding the ability of everyone to sell software." Last year in the U.S., according to NPD, more third-party games were sold on Wii than any other platform. So far in the U.S., 75 third-party games for Wii have sold through one million units. "Let me offer another example of growing development opportunity." Shows Wii Balance Board, which has sold almost 15 million units around the world.

Yea I noticed that as well but there's no way that can be right.  I mean 45 or 55 would seem plausible but man that many is hard to grasp right now.  I mean in shipments we probably could have about 60 3rd party games at platinum but those would be worldwide and of course shipments. 

Let me go check some other live updates to make sure it wasn't a typo.

Great update, I liked it.

I wanted to see if the 75 US titles had been posted.
I am sure that some of those titles are possible 20.00 shovelware games but would love to know what exactly they are.

Also didnt Nintendo say a year or two ago that they had 55 million sellers for Wii. I know this site only lists 41 but sinc those are based off of estimates its very likely they are wrong.

There were 30 third party million-sellers (shippers) worldwide by the end of 2008.

See text next to fifth slide: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090130/02.html

75 million is likely the total sales of all third party software on Wii in the US according to NPD. There were ~170 total games shipped to "The Americas" by the end of 2008, so that would sync.

Last page:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2009/090129e.pdf

By the way, along with the 30 third party million-sellers, I believe there were at least 18 first-party million-sellers which were known from Nintendo first-party million-sellers lists over the yeras, and possibly 1 or 2 more if some games sold 1m total, but not in a single year. So there were 48-50 total million-sellers for Wii by the end of 2008 by Nintendo's shipment numbers.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.