By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The best game of all time is guilty for Abismal sales in July

jlmurph2 said:
Burek said:
So, I looked at NCAA Football. It sold some 700k in July.
Of course, it's not an exact science due to other games, but 15% drop off would put TLOUR somewhere at 550-600k.
Assuming they predicted 600k, my guess is then TLOUR at 550k.
Only in the US in 3 days.
A failure?

In NPD thread someone said TLOUR sold 270k in 5 days because they track up to Saturday. And what NCAA game are you looking at? 14 sold 900k and there isnt a 15.

Nvm, chart took me to Global. But yeah

Well, I don't know since this July's NPD numbers are a mystery.

The numbers just don't seem.logical to me. According to last year's NPD, NCAA sold ~650k. Acti and 2K are down significantly, EA as well courtesy of cancelling this year's football game, yet software sales are down only 15%.

And to blame is the game that was 16.6% cheaper to start with. 

So, if TLOUR sold so poorly, big three sold much worse, what is causing that huge bump in sales? Watch Dogs and Mario Kart in their second full month? I doubt it.

The only logical explanation is that TLOU did very well... If something else, I don't see it, I'm open to any suggestions... 

Around the Network
Snoorlax said:
They were expecting higher sales? Its obvious that the many "360fans who bought a ps4" werent interested in this game at all.

Its not Halo you know.

Then how do you explain it selling almost 300k in the US in 5 days retail only? Wiifans who bought a PS4?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
Snoorlax said:
They were expecting higher sales? Its obvious that the many "360fans who bought a ps4" werent interested in this game at all.

Its not Halo you know.

Then how do you explain it selling almost 300k in the US in 5 days retail only? Wiifans who bought a PS4?

People who didn't buy The Last of Us, but are buying it now because there isn't that much available for next gen?  People who are willing to pay for the same game a second time?

"TLoU best game of all time"

I think I puked a little in my mouth.

JWeinCom said:
Ninsect said:
Snoorlax said:

Its not Halo you know.

People who didn't buy The Last of Us, but are buying it now because there isn't that much available for next gen?  People who are willing to pay for the same game a second time?

Sounds reasonable. Not unneeded after all.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
"TLoU best game of all time"

I think I puked a little in my mouth.

It's been scientifically proven

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

"best game of all time"
No: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0EaH73ee4

If something else noteworthy had come out (since the rest of July was WIDE OPEN as usual smh) then I'm sure it would have beaten out TLoU. I hate how pubs won't release anything for 3 months. If it's a quality title and the marketing is done right it will do well ESPECIALLY since those 3 months are DRY and OPEN. PS4 got a nice sales boost during the traditional flatline period.

See it's good for hardware and software when they get out of the crowd and give some jumps during traditionally dead times of the year. I know that people go outside in the Summer but jesus there's 16 hours of time every day I'm sure there are more people like me who don't spend all of them working and going outside and just want something new to play when they come in for the evening (TV shows are dry in the Summer as well).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I expected TLOUR to sell 3 million on the first day! It failed abysmally.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
I expected TLOUR to sell 3 million on the first day! It failed abysmally.

lol well I expect MCC to sell the equivalent of all the launch weeks of all the games in it combined plus a little extra for the Halo 5 beta prepare for failure!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers