By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The best game of all time is guilty for Abismal sales in July

Vena said:
bubblegamer said:

Umm did you miss the best game of all time part in the title? That's not how we refer to those games.

Nope. Those are the best games of each generation as saying "best game of all time" is crass and rather pointless (Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are of the Wii/PS3/X360 generation and have the highest rating of said generation, therein TLOUR cannot be the best game of all time when it can't even be the best game of its own generation. Heck, even Batman is above it). I mean, you can even look them up! (Though technically GTAIV is in the running along with Galaxy but its user score is lower.)

And, remember, this is statistics at work. And none of them came out in July.

I love how you use the metascore to put down The Last of Us but then make an excuse for Super Mario Galaxy. Sorry but GTA IV is the highest rated game of the 7th console generation by metascore, no excuses. That being said, GTA IV and Galaxy "only" won 39 and 44 GOTY awards respectively whereas The Last of Us won 249.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:

None of those had such an impact as TLOU. Metacritic is not how you measure that, the levels of hate towards it is. You know you have a winner when others get nervous at the mere mention of it.

You have to be kidding! Here's a list of games/franchises that included gameplay elements first seen in Resident Evil 4:
#1- The Dead Space franchise
#2- The Gears of War franchise
#3- Grand Theft Auto IV
#4- Batman: Arkham Asylum
#5- The Ratchet & Clank franchise

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Vena said:
bubblegamer said:

None of those had such an impact as TLOU. Metacritic is not how you measure that, the levels of hate towards it is. You know you have a winner when others get nervous at the mere mention of it.

Halo/Metroid Prime/RE4 didn't have the leve of impact as TLOU? You sure about that? Because I'm pretty sure you are very, very wrong.

Oh i know you're sure. People who don't want to see things clearly don't usually doubt their opinions. Which is why their opinions are predictable and biased.

bouzane said:

I love how you use the metascore to put down The Last of Us but then make an excuse for Super Mario Galaxy. Sorry but GTA IV is the highest rated game of the 7th console generation by metascore, no excuses. That being said, GTA IV and Galaxy "only" won 39 and 44 GOTY awards respectively whereas The Last of Us won 249.

I actually put GTA IV on there, it just has a substantially lower user score. That's all.

Game of the Year awards didn't exist in the current numbers as they did back in the day of many of these releases that came before the 7th Gen, its a terrible and lopsided metric. User scores and general reviewer scores, however, have existed in numerous quantities for ages.

AZWification said:
bubblegamer said:

You have to be kidding! Here's a list of games/franchises that included gameplay elements first seen in Resident Evil 4:
#1- The Dead Space franchise
#2- The Gears of War franchise
#3- Grand Theft Auto IV
#4- Batman: Arkham Asylum
#5- The Ratchet & Clank franchise

Except that's not the only thing TLOU executed perfectly. It got all that praise because it excelled on ALL fronts.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:

Oh i know you're sure. People who don't want to see things clearly don't usually doubt their opinions. Which is why their opinions are predictable and biased.

I'm sorry but RE4 redefined 3rd person shooters and an entire franchise as well as methods of story telling... used in TLOU.

I'm sorry but Halo redefined the FPS shooter genre and created a universe of story telling.

I'm sorry but Metroid Prime defined first person platforming in the 3D world as well as being an absolutely excellent shooter along the lines of Halo. The game excelled in everything it did.

I'm sorry but OoT redefined GAMING.

Vena said:
bouzane said:

I actually put GTA IV on there, it just has a substantially lower user score. That's all.

Game of the Year awards didn't exist in the current numbers as they did back in the day of many of these releases that came before the 7th Gen, its a terrible and lopsided metric. User scores and general reviewer scores, however, have existed in numerous quantities for ages.

Both valid points, bravo good sir. That being said, The Last of Us dominated by taking a far greater percentage of the GOTY awards while GTA IV and Galaxy were runners up (vs Fallout 3 and Bioshock).

bouzane said:

Both valid points, bravo good sir. That being said, The Last of Us dominated by taking a far greater percentage of the GOTY awards while GTA IV and Galaxy were runners up (vs Fallout 3 and Bioshock).

Yes, this is true. However since I did not use it as a metric, I cannot suddenly hand out an arbitrary reward. :P GTA IV, Galaxy and a number of other games are all rated higher by the base metric than TLOU. This means they did whatever they were doing, as a whole, better. This doesn't preclude TLOU from winning awards though as it did have one of the usual key elements in winning GoTY awards and thats a fantastic story.

As I tried to keep things fair, its hard to arbitrarily give TLOU the reward even though your point is valid.

Vena said:
bouzane said:

Yes, this is true. However since I did not use it as a metric, I cannot suddenly hand out an arbitrary reward. :P GTA IV, Galaxy and a number of other games are all rated higher by the base metric than TLOU. This means they did whatever they were doing, as a whole, better. This doesn't preclude TLOU from winning awards though as it did have one of the usual key elements in winning GoTY awards and thats a fantastic story.

As I tried to keep things fair, its hard to arbitrarily give TLOU the reward even though your point is valid.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. I think metascores are a bit of a farce, especially since GTA IV's grossly inflated score. I'd never pay much attention to a point or two in the difference in metascores and I really only use them to seperate the wheat from the chaff and when comparing systems' libraries.

On topic, what on earth was this analyst expecting? This is a remaster of a year old game that released for $50 and it still sold approimately half as well as the original launch.

Vena said:
bubblegamer said:

I'm sorry but RE4 redefined 3rd person shooters and an entire franchise as well as methods of story telling... used in TLOU.

I'm sorry but Halo redefined the FPS shooter genre and created a universe of story telling.

I'm sorry but Metroid Prime defined first person platforming in the 3D world as well as being an absolutely excellent shooter along the lines of Halo. The game excelled in everything it did.

I'm sorry but OoT redefined GAMING.

You shouldn't be sorry for stating that. I'de say you should be sorry that you state them as facts. Because most people disagree with you.