By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Witcher 3: The Parity Curse

Machiavellian said:
Ninsect said:
Machiavellian said:

Features!!!! What feature does the PC have that the consoles do not.  Features would mean things exclusive to one platform but not supported by the others.  Of course 3rd party developers will optimize each console as much as possible but they will not add support for features that do not exsit on all platforms.

While the word features was used he is obviously talking about graphical things, since they refer to the power difference of the two consoles.

What graphical think does the PS4 support that the X1 or PC does not.  If you are talking about performance welll, that statement doesn't talk about that.  As a developer they have a target they would love to get all platforms up to.  If it takes no real investment to get the PS4 to 1080P/30 locked with no slowdowns or hickups then they probalby would take that instead of trying to go for 1080P/60 if it would take a lot of time and resources.  The same would be for the PC and X1.  Probably for the X1 the resolution would be 900P/30 with a rock solid frame rate.  If it takes a lot of time and resources to get the X1 to 1080P/30 they probably not going to do it.

As I mentioned in this thread, a developer has to manage time and resources.  Its not cheap to put a lot of time on one platform and not make sure the others are set.  The priorities of a developer and gamer are totally different.  The developers needs all systems to perform great so the game will sell well on all systems not just one.  Believing that putting in extra effort on one platform will net that much in sales doesn't work out that way.  Developers always face the issue of feature vs sales.  Meaning if they spent so much time to implement a feature, does it net into more sales.  Time wasted on things that do not enhance the total project bleeds the developer of money.

It's not about "support", but power to do run them. And yeah that includes fps and resolution.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

I was planning to buy a monster gaming PC for this game, so I won't be affected. But man that's disappointing to hear from them.

"We want to deliver the very best experience for your platform by not using its advantages ! Also, MS doesn't want their version of the game to not look as good as the PS4 version but we can't talk about it."

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

I want to like this series but I just don't. It bored me to tears.

ps4/xbone parity will, sadly, probably be the norm. it is cheaper to develop parity than it is to develop unique features per console. i don't like it but i also get it. ps4 will mostly only get advantages only in framerate and resolution and even then only when developers can't get xbox up to standard.

exclusives is where ps4 will kill xbone graphically and even then only the top teir exclusives like uncharted/TLoU.

Machiavellian said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Well that's a stupid excuse. If you truly wanted gamers to have the best possible experience you would have gotten the best out of each respective consoles. Doesn't matter if the Witcher is primarily a PC game, the fact that it's on consoles mean they should at least put some effort into it.

Before you can say its a stupid excuse you first have to understand fully what they are saying.  The developer is saying they are not going to spend resources on putting in features that are not supported by all platforms.  Second, developers do not have endless resources, time and material to concentrate on any one platform more than what is supported by all.  Its not about effort, its about time, resources and materials.  There is a fix time when a game is projected to be in development.  Developers have to tightly manage this time or they bleed money.  

All the people that work on a game is drawing a salary, including the build, maintenance, Utilities etc.  Games that do not meet their timeline cost the developer a lot of money.  There is a huge engine behind getting a game like this to retail.  When you hear how games cost 10 mill to 20 mill to make, its not something to dismiss.  

So when the developer says they will not add any extra features for each platform, what they are saying is that we do not have the resources to spend time on each platform to take advantage of their different capability.  The developer will have a target in performance, features and capability.  They will invest their time in reaching that goal for all platforms.  If one system reach the goal faster, then those resources are moved to the slower systems to get them up to par.

Machiavellian said:
Scisca said:
I've just read that the Xbone collectors edition will get extra content. I'm pissed. MS is paying them after all, so we can forget about PS4 version getting proper treatment.

You do know its a collector edition.  Meaning yes, MS probably paid for it but thats no different than Sony paying Bungie/Activision free DLC and other nick nacks for Destiny.  The stuff in the CE edition really is nothing to get piss at unless you like stuff you would soon forget or throw away.  

As a PS4 gamer, you get the same game at 60 bucks.  For X! owners if they want, they can spend probably 75 or better for a card game and cloth map.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Extra Features = Extra Content

If the dev's aren't using the PS4 extra power, but are using the XB1's extra money, then they are in fact using the advantages of one platform versus another, regardless of the fact that its a collector's edition.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dadrik said:
I was planning to buy a monster gaming PC for this game, so I won't be affected. But man that's disappointing to hear from them.

"We want to deliver the very best experience for your platform by not using its advantages ! Also, MS doesn't want their version of the game to not look as good as the PS4 version but we can't talk about it."

More like CD Projekt didn't want to spend extra time and resources developing on a secondary platform. PC is where the brunt of their work will be, not console. And, unlike many games these days, there is no exclusive in-game content (Destiny, Assassins Creed, GTA, etc), or timed exclusive content. All of the DLC is free too. Consoles are lucky to just recieve a port, since the Witcher has always been a PC franchise.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Will probably be released that way and patched later. Seems like a silly thing to say though.

Oh well, Ill be playing this on PC anyway.

kitler53 said:
ps4/xbone parity will, sadly, probably be the norm. it is cheaper to develop parity than it is to develop unique features per console. i don't like it but i also get it. ps4 will mostly only get advantages only in framerate and resolution and even then only when developers can't get xbox up to standard.

exclusives is where ps4 will kill xbone graphically and even then only the top teir exclusives like uncharted/TLoU.

@Bolded:  But this is not the case today so why would it be the case in the future.  Even from last generation when did 3rd party developers every push one system over another.  Developers do not need to get the X1 up to standard if the PS4 is already there.  Instead they will drop features, resolution any anything else first.  What will happen is if the X1 is lagging behind the PS4, developers will move resources to get the X1 up to speed as much as possible.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Machiavellian said:
Scisca said:
I've just read that the Xbone collectors edition will get extra content. I'm pissed. MS is paying them after all, so we can forget about PS4 version getting proper treatment.

You do know its a collector edition.  Meaning yes, MS probably paid for it but thats no different than Sony paying Bungie/Activision free DLC and other nick nacks for Destiny.  The stuff in the CE edition really is nothing to get piss at unless you like stuff you would soon forget or throw away.  

As a PS4 gamer, you get the same game at 60 bucks.  For X! owners if they want, they can spend probably 75 or better for a card game and cloth map.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself right?

Extra Features = Extra Content

If the dev's aren't using the PS4 extra power, but are using the XB1's extra money, then they are in fact using the advantages of one platform versus another, regardless of the fact that its a collector's edition.

Before you say I contradicted myself, first should we not determine exactly what the developer ment by extra features.  Are they talking about content added to retail package or are they talking about the actual game?  From there comments I would say its the actual game.  People can add to their words all they like but they have made it clear they are talking about develping the game not extra trinkets added to the package.

Also features do not mean extra power.  If the PS4 is so much more powerful than the X1 then by default them coding for it will net that extra power.  That extra power would net either better framerates, better resolution, better textures, better AA better everything because they have the overhead to do those things.   If you mean the developer has to spend so much extra resources to obtain this extra power over the other platforms then why would they do that.  Most games come down to the wire when developers are trying to meet their dealine.  You hear about crunh time for game developers all the time.  Time and resources are not infinite for 3rd party developers.  Not meeting your deadlines causes huge problems and if your funding needs that cash, trying to add more stuff to one platform that might not add more sales seems really foolish.

Machiavellian said:
kitler53 said:

@Bolded:  But this is not the case today so why would it be the case in the future.  Even from last generation when did 3rd party developers every push one system over another.  Developers do not need to get the X1 up to standard if the PS4 is already there.  Instead they will drop features, resolution any anything else first.  What will happen is if the X1 is lagging behind the PS4, developers will move resources to get the X1 up to speed as much as possible.

no idea what point you are trying to make but there are dozen upon dozens of threads i could point you to dedicated to xbox's resolution/framerate gap with ps4 on multiplat titles.   clearly, today,.. many developers can't get xbox titles up to standard.