By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PREDICTION: PS4 will outsell XBOX ONE+Wii U by end of year!

RubberWhistleHistle said:
Intrinsic said:
Aielyn said:

seriously, i have been watching the back and forth between you two, and he is 100% right that you are missing the context. you are focusing on wii u and harping on it when its about wii u AND xbone. the discussion is, "can the ps4 outsell both combined?" i understand that you are focusing on one aspect, that the holiday boost doesnt mean much if the sales are low, i totally get it, BUT.. this is the point: ps4 has been having trouble outselling both combined in the past three to four weeks (as aielyn already described) so the wii u having a bigger boost than the ps4 is going to make it that much more difficult for sony to have 50%+ marketshare during the holiday. THAT is the point.

Except PS4 has out sold them both the whole time, Vg PS4 number have been proven to be way undertracked the last 4 months lol.  by 700k

Undertracked numbers PS4 490k -  X1 236 wiiu 255 .... so now add 1/4 of that 700k to PS4 month and voila. Hell if im not mistaken Vg overtracked X1 in europe, we know for sure their German numebrs are 20k to high.

So in reality wiiu/x1 are doing about 2/3rds of PS4 sales.  PS4 is clealry out selling them if you go by real numebrs not vg soon to be fixed numebrs.

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:

seriously, i have been watching the back and forth between you two, and he is 100% right that you are missing the context. you are focusing on wii u and harping on it when its about wii u AND xbone. the discussion is, "can the ps4 outsell both combined?" i understand that you are focusing on one aspect, that the holiday boost doesnt mean much if the sales are low, i totally get it, BUT.. this is the point: ps4 has been having trouble outselling both combined in the past three to four weeks (as aielyn already described) so the wii u having a bigger boost than the ps4 is going to make it that much more difficult for sony to have 50%+ marketshare during the holiday. THAT is the point.

I will no longer respond to him, but I will respond to you.

I know what the threads topic is about. "if the PS4 can outsell both combined". 

Someone, not even sure if it was him anymore, made a comment and amongst all the other points the person made, which i agree with; the person also said that nintendo consoles get a higher holiday boost than other platforms. I alo kinda agree with this just looking at past years performance. However, I was simply pointing out, which still ties directly to the context of this thread; that a bigger boost to a poorly selling console wouldn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. As a way of saying that it wouldn't push wiiU sales in such a way as to offset the PS4 outselling both the wiiU and XB1 combined.

So how exactly is that talking outta context? is it cause i singled out the wiiU? Well, it just happens to be that the whole extra boost point made was something that i looked at from a different perspective. But my somehow saying that turned into something entirely different.

Now onto the point yu have made now... Yes PS4 has been having trouble outselling both the XB1 and wiiU combined these past few weeks, but that is based on numbers from VGC that we now at least know has under tracked the PS4 by as much as 700k. When the numbers gte adjusted, there is no saying that this point you just made will still hold true.

But even if it does, I think its bad form basing a thesis on 3 weeks worth of a trend and then just ignore 6 months worth of data. And my emphasis on using the average of the past monthsin this year up till now is simple, in this industry there will be up sand downs. Be it a price drop or a new game or any combination of factors. This month it may give a boost to one platform and the next it could boost the other. At the end of the day, everyone will have their own day or days in the sun depending on how many of thee factors they can have in their own favor in the course of this year. So using averages we can put everyone on a hypothetical level playing feild. Which is what I have been trying to do.

I agree that the wiiU may have a bigger boost... and that it may the PS4 accomplishing this feat difficult, and honestly I have no clue what will happen in the next 4 months. 

BeElite said:
Aielyn said:

Please don't jump into discussions part way through and put forward arguments that are irrelevant to the discussion.

And especially don't do so by using fabricated numbers determined by just scaling the existing numbers - that's not how overtracking and undertracking happens. And I also can't help but notice that you're using Sony's "official" numbers for PS4, but then using VGChartz numbers for Wii U. If you reject VGC numbers as unreliable, then you can't pick and choose which numbers to reject. Wii U could also be severely undertracked, for all you know.

We all know wiiu is not undertracked, im not using vg numbers just pointing out your fallacy  of using clearly wrong numbers for the PS4 to argue agianst it.  Least have the balls by go with legit numebrs not bs that will be adjusted soon enough.  You are like all the peeps crying but but PS4 is under 100k a week yahh sky is falling, and a week or two later its adjusted to 140k lol.

Your whole argument is based on fake numbers, you are clealry wrong.  Legit numbers prove it, we all know.

Only thing irrelevent is an argument (yours) that uses false fake numbers casue real ones dont suit it. 

I know that some people here consider VGChartz numbers to be "fake", "false", etc. I'm not one of those people. And while the system might be undertracked, that doesn't mean that recent numbers are wrong. Until the adjustment is made, and demonstrates where the data supports more sales, you can't confidently say anything about what the last 4 weeks (say) of numbers should really look like. As I've already pointed out, there are weeks where PS4 got a game that sold quite well, but saw little boost to PS4 sales. It's entirely possible that it is those weeks, mostly, that were undertracked, which would not contradict my hypothesis.

Personally, I always wonder why people who think VGChartz numbers are nonsense continue to come here, post, etc.

And as I've pointed out a few times, now, I wouldn't take Sony's announcement as gospel. Sony's access to sales numbers is limited in the same way that every company that tries to track the market is limited. Sony, for obvious reasons, is going to use highly-optimistic assumptions in analysing the data for press releases and announcements, especially if it allows them to make an announcement at a fortuitous time, like Gamescom. It doesn't make their numbers wrong, but it doesn't make them inherently more right than other sources.

If we look, for a moment, at NPD numbers, here's what we see. PS4 for April at 199k (VGC has it at 222k). For May at 197k (VGC has it at 208k). For June at 267k (VGC has it at 257k). For July at 187k (VGC has it at 205k). So according to NPD, VGChartz is overtracking the PS4 in the US (by 42k).

VGChartz numbers for Japan seem to line up quite well with Media Create and Famitsu. So that leaves Europe/Others for explaining a supposed undertracking by 700k (actually, the "correct" number is closer to 500k than 700k, because it includes an extra week that VGChartz doesn't yet have data for). It's possible that VGChartz has done this. It's also possible that Sony has been overly optimistic with their assumptions in Europe, perhaps due to their belief that demand is outstripping supply in mainland Europe.

So my point is, why not wait until VGChartz actually updates the numbers before jumping to conclusions? In the meantime, I'll use the current VGChartz numbers for the simple fact that it's the only detailed numbers we have.

By the way, even if we accept Sony's 10 million entirely, and assume that all data since April needs to be adjusted (+43k per week, 716k corrected total for July), and that the baseline needs to be given that same boost ongoing, and we assume that the PS4's sales pattern will follow that of the PS3 in 2007 relative to July sales, we find...

PS4 sales from now until end of year: 7.65 million.

But if we apply current numbers to Wii U with a boost comparable to last year (I'd use Wii 2008 numbers, but it was still having issues with supply during July at that point, so it would unfairly exaggerate the number), Wii U comes out with 4.3 million. And if we use Xbox 360 2006 numbers with Xbox One numbers for this year, we get 2.95 million. So combined, WiiU+XBO would be expected to come out somewhere around 7.25 million, compared with 7.65 million for PS4...

And that means WiiU+XBO comes out ahead, because they currently lead PS4 by 1.9 million. So the margin would reduce to 1.5 million, but XBO+WiiU would remain ahead of PS4.

Aielyn said:

I know that some people here consider VGChartz numbers to be "fake", "false", etc. I'm not one of those people. And while the system might be undertracked, that doesn't mean that recent numbers are wrong. Until the adjustment is made, and demonstrates where the data supports more sales, you can't confidently say anything about what the last 4 weeks (say) of numbers should really look like. As I've already pointed out, there are weeks where PS4 got a game that sold quite well, but saw little boost to PS4 sales. It's entirely possible that it is those weeks, mostly, that were undertracked, which would not contradict my hypothesis.

Personally, I always wonder why people who think VGChartz numbers are nonsense continue to come here, post, etc.

And as I've pointed out a few times, now, I wouldn't take Sony's announcement as gospel. Sony's access to sales numbers is limited in the same way that every company that tries to track the market is limited. Sony, for obvious reasons, is going to use highly-optimistic assumptions in analysing the data for press releases and announcements, especially if it allows them to make an announcement at a fortuitous time, like Gamescom. It doesn't make their numbers wrong, but it doesn't make them inherently more right than other sources.

If we look, for a moment, at NPD numbers, here's what we see. PS4 for April at 199k (VGC has it at 222k). For May at 197k (VGC has it at 208k). For June at 267k (VGC has it at 257k). For July at 187k (VGC has it at 205k). So according to NPD, VGChartz is overtracking the PS4 in the US (by 42k).

VGChartz numbers for Japan seem to line up quite well with Media Create and Famitsu. So that leaves Europe/Others for explaining a supposed undertracking by 700k (actually, the "correct" number is closer to 500k than 700k, because it includes an extra week that VGChartz doesn't yet have data for). It's possible that VGChartz has done this. It's also possible that Sony has been overly optimistic with their assumptions in Europe, perhaps due to their belief that demand is outstripping supply in mainland Europe.

So my point is, why not wait until VGChartz actually updates the numbers before jumping to conclusions? In the meantime, I'll use the current VGChartz numbers for the simple fact that it's the only detailed numbers we have.

By the way, even if we accept Sony's 10 million entirely, and assume that all data since April needs to be adjusted (+43k per week, 716k corrected total for July), and that the baseline needs to be given that same boost ongoing, and we assume that the PS4's sales pattern will follow that of the PS3 in 2007 relative to July sales, we find...

PS4 sales from now until end of year: 7.65 million.

But if we apply current numbers to Wii U with a boost comparable to last year (I'd use Wii 2008 numbers, but it was still having issues with supply during July at that point, so it would unfairly exaggerate the number), Wii U comes out with 4.3 million. And if we use Xbox 360 2006 numbers with Xbox One numbers for this year, we get 2.95 million. So combined, WiiU+XBO would be expected to come out somewhere around 7.25 million, compared with 7.65 million for PS4...

And that means WiiU+XBO comes out ahead, because they currently lead PS4 by 1.9 million. So the margin would reduce to 1.5 million, but XBO+WiiU would remain ahead of PS4.

Hard to take anyone serious that questions sonys own numbers while choses to believe cleary wrong ones.

Lets just bump this soon enough, should be plenty fun.

BeElite said:
Hard to take anyone serious that questions sonys own numbers while choses to believe cleary wrong ones.

So, no response to any of the actual arguments? Attacking me rather than my arguments? You'd make a good politician.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
BeElite said:

So, no response to any of the actual arguments? Attacking me rather than my arguments? You'd make a good politician.

What they point of arguing anything with you ? when you argue agianst reality to suit your false hopes and deny facts to use false info to support your flaved views.

Once they adjust ill bump this, once ps4 out sales em ill bump again.  Simply.  

Shadow1980 said:
If my projections hold true, I'll think we'll be looking at LTD sales that look something like this:

PS4: 16.5M (48.53%)
XBO: 8M (23.53%)
Wii U: 9.5M (27.94%)

So, the PS4 will be getting very close to 50% by year's end, but I don't think it'll quite reach it. It'll definitely take majority market share no later than summer 2015, though.

PS4: 18.5M (50%)

WiiU: 10.5M (28%)

XO: 8M (22%)

I say early 2015 it will happen. Not by end of year.

Its not crazy to suggest so but I don't think it will happen.

I thibk oth Wii U and Xbox will be approaching 10 by the end of the year and I think 18m is max PS4 could sell by the end of the year.

Shadow1980 said:
If my projections hold true, I'll think we'll be looking at LTD sales that look something like this:

PS4: 16.5M (48.53%)
XBO: 8M (23.53%)
Wii U: 9.5M (27.94%)

So, the PS4 will be getting very close to 50% by year's end, but I don't think it'll quite reach it. It'll definitely take majority market share no later than summer 2015, though.

Pretty much what I think (at least in percentage).

PS4: 15M (46.87%)

XBO: 7.5M (23.43%)

WiiU: 9.5M (29.68%)

I think those percentages will hold up (+-1%), although a hail-mary price-drop/marketing blitz may skew this.